Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952542 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5575 on: 26 October, 2015, 07:35:28 am »
What We Did On Our Holiday

From the makers of Outnumbered - and very much from the same mould. Concerns a family trip to Scotland for grandad's 75th birthday, but he's dying of cancer and the parents are going through a messy divorce. Then about halfway through comes an ohmygodicantbelievetheyjustdidthat twist... It's funny and charming, if a touch on the sentimental side. The kids, as in Outnumbered, are great.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #5576 on: 27 October, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »
Addicted to Sheep.

A documentary about a small family farm in upper Teesdale, and their quest to improve the breeding of their flock of Swaledale sheep.  Warm-hearted without being sentimental, lovely gentle humour (such as the young lad describing how to "stop the tups tupping the wrong yows") and a lot of - well, just normal life.  I vaguely remember Emmerdale being a bit like this once.

And they did this to the bar of the Dukes Theatre in Lancaster  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #5577 on: 27 October, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »
Frank

I have no idea what I was expecting but it wasn't that. I liked it though. Funny and charming, in a fairly oddball way.

Also the second film I've seen in the space of two days to feature a viking boat cremation.

Andrew

« Reply #5578 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:17:54 pm »
Believe it or not, I'd not seen Taxi Driver before last night. Maybe I was expecting too much but I didn't think much of it at all. Interesting in a 'film studies' kind of a way I guess but it's certainly not challenging my top 10 list.

I found the sax soundtrack hugely irritating, the dialogue at times to be inane, the acting almost pantomime (oh, yes I did!) and the story and pacing somewhat dull. That all said, de Niro's changing hairstyle was amusing (continuity not mohawk) and, on that continued hairy subject, I couldn't work out if Keitel's bouf was his own or a wig.

I ought say though, I'm not a fan of Scorsese as a rule but I (tried to) put that to one side.  And I'm making allowances for it being dated and being somewhat of a student project. Even so, I can't agree with the laudits it gets.

citoyen

« Reply #5579 on: 27 October, 2015, 06:39:09 pm »
I love Taxi Driver but it hasn't aged well.

« Reply #5580 on: 27 October, 2015, 09:08:42 pm »
Spectre, I enjoyed it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5581 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.  You already know how it's going to end, and can make a fairly accurate guess as to why, so it's all about the execution.  For a film about people (of all species) making bad decisions, it was surprisingly watchable.  Nice post-apocalyptic feel too it.

The visual effects were as excellent as in the previous one, though I found the apes' extensive use of sign language without any facial expression jarring.  (But not unrealistic, if the films I've seen of real primates using signs learned from non-fluent users are anything to go by.)

« Reply #5582 on: 29 October, 2015, 09:47:26 am »
Gosh, Pacific Rim's a bit silly, isn't it? But was entertaining enough to have on while doing the washing up &c.

Chris S

« Reply #5583 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:11:04 am »
Gosh, Pacific Rim's a bit silly, isn't it? But was entertaining enough to have on while doing the washing up &c.

A lot less silly than the film we saw last night, but I'm waiting for fboab to turn up and tell you what she made of it  :thumbsup: ;D.

« Reply #5584 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:21:42 am »
The Last Witch Hunter

Vin Diesel, Michael Caine, Elijah Wood and
(click to show/hide)

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's like the acting, that is.

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's like the dialogue, that is.

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's the script writers' handbook.

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's like the best bit of it.

;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5585 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:34:41 am »
44 minutes: the North Hollywood Shootout

only it takes an hour longer than that.  Quite engaging if you enjoy the occasional Roman/NRA holiday.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5586 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:41:07 am »
The Last Witch Hunter

Vin Diesel, Michael Caine, Elijah Wood and
(click to show/hide)

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's like the acting, that is.

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's like the dialogue, that is.

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's the script writers' handbook.

See this?
(click to show/hide)
That's like the best bit of it.

;D

Fabulous review!

« Reply #5587 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:47:25 am »
The Edge of Tomorrow.

Tom Cruise portrays a smarmy, cowardly arse who redeems himself. He's remarkably good at this.

Emily Blunt kicks ass.

A lot of the acting was done while wearing 'armoured suits' weighing 30-50kg. Most of the cast look exhausted and sweaty, no acting needed. Mr Smile Cruise doesn't but is reputedly quite an athlete.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #5588 on: 29 October, 2015, 11:30:04 am »
My personal favourite line from a Last Witch Hunter review on imdb:

"Diesel stars as the title character, a man named Kaulder. We don't know what his first name is, but let's just say it's Ron. It seems appropriate for a witch hunter, especially if he's listed last name first, in an alphabetized list of professional witch hunters."

:thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #5589 on: 29 October, 2015, 02:07:52 pm »
The Grey

Liam Neeson not looking for kidnapped family.

Meh.

Jakob

« Reply #5590 on: 29 October, 2015, 06:03:48 pm »

It's sad to see Del Toro becoming George Lucas II and being more interested in the idea and less interested in actual directing.
I could probably have put up with the spectacle if the acting hadn't been so terrible. (The visuals *are* stunning, though).

« Reply #5591 on: 30 October, 2015, 09:32:17 am »
Jurassic Park and Jurassic World

... in relatively quick succession, the second on the day after the first (OK, first and fourth, strictly speaking).  This was the re-released 3D version of Jurassic Park and the new 3D version of Jurassic World.

It is quite a while since I saw Jurassic Park, and I'd forgotten quite how stupid so many of the characters are, but that aside it's a fun enough film.

Jurassic World was a nice variation on the theme.  Whilst there are again some spectacularly stupid people, and I'd never hire them to design, build and run that sort of theme park . . .

(click to show/hide)

Both films are fun nonsense to watch.  It's a concept that really can't take itself seriously, although there were less laughs in the most recent film, and probably more people being eaten "on camera" in this incarnation.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hillbilly

« Reply #5592 on: 31 October, 2015, 03:22:25 pm »
Spectre
A diverting film, that ticks a lot of boxes for a Bond franchise movie.  There's a lot of unnecessary plot points that bloat the running time, and some parts that feel out of place.  But in the whole it hangs together and is entertaining.  Mixed feelings about it.  Stirred not shaken.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5593 on: 31 October, 2015, 11:17:11 pm »
Grand Prix

John Frankenheimer's epic pile of F1-themed tosh from 1966.  Forget the nonsensical plot devices like an H-16 BRM being in contention for a race win at Monza, or "Enzo Ferrari" pulling in his cars just because a driver got killed utterly to DETH  ::-) and instead scratch your head at Graham Hill insinuating himself into every scene possible and the fact that people actually did race on those tracks in my lifetime.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #5594 on: 02 November, 2015, 05:46:46 pm »
Poltergeist, which it seems they remade. Everyone involved could and should have done something useful with their time instead. Like learn to knit or grow onions. There are approximately 1,435,937 things that would have been better uses of their time than making this movie.

I want my 99p back.

fuzzy

« Reply #5595 on: 02 November, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
Serpico. A great film.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #5596 on: 03 November, 2015, 10:28:20 am »
Serpico. A great film.

It's quite depressing though.  There was an interesting interview with him recently, I'll have a look for it (the actual Serpico, not Pacino I mean).

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5597 on: 03 November, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
Mr Holmes.

Billed as the great detective's last mystery but the real puzzle is how it got made in the first place.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #5598 on: 03 November, 2015, 12:09:57 pm »
That's a pity, was hoping for good things from that.

Andrew

« Reply #5599 on: 03 November, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »
Red - okay, brain out stuff. And Bruce Willis really cannot act. But that all said, a watchably silly bit of cinema. John Malkovic kind of steals the show for me even though he also is not pushing himself, playing a bit of a tried and trusted loon. Morgan Freeman is Morgan Freeman.

No, I'm not selling it well, I know, but it's enjoyable if you don't take it seriously.