Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952501 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6350 on: 02 May, 2016, 07:43:35 pm »
Attack the block. Good fun
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6351 on: 02 May, 2016, 10:01:23 pm »
If....

Such a great film, one of my all-time favourites and I don't think I will ever tire of it. It was listed on Netflix so I told my son he should watch it, so he did, and I watched it with him. He was a bit nonplussed by it, which is interesting. He clearly has some gaps in his cinematic vocabulary that need to be filled in. I shall have to force feed him some Truffaut and Godard, for starters...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6352 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:54:47 am »
Took my (almost) 9 yo to see the Jungle Book yesterday.  Having never liked the cartoon much, even as a child, I went prepared to be unimpressed but I have to say it is very well done. Visually, it's a treat and the human/computer-generated animal interaction is generally excellent. The panther doesn't work too well - it's a little stiff - but most of the others are good enough to allow you to suspend disbelief and be absorbed into the story. 

There's also a neat nod to "Apocalypse Now", which I won't spoil for you.

Our enjoyment was spoiled only by the couple in the row in front of us who thought it was sensible to bring a baby (about 9 months) and a three year-old to a PG film and let them shout. cry, scream and generally make a racket all the way through.  I fail to understand how anyone can be so oblivious to their impact on others.  Or maybe they simply don't give a ****.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6353 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:16:59 am »
If....

Such a great film, one of my all-time favourites and I don't think I will ever tire of it. It was listed on Netflix so I told my son he should watch it, so he did, and I watched it with him. He was a bit nonplussed by it, which is interesting. He clearly has some gaps in his cinematic vocabulary that need to be filled in. I shall have to force feed him some Truffaut and Godard, for starters...

Damn and bloody blast, pissfarting Netflix shovels us their "international" selection in France, i.e. 90% UScrap with a token selection of French stuff. Lots of gutter sludge about US Marines and retired FBI jocks leveraging each other's bollocks to save the world and heal their father/son relationships on the side, but none of the great old classics of British cinema.  I hope their Vaseline dries up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6354 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »
If....

Yes, I enjoy 'If... '   The theme tune (Missa Luba by Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin) is good too.

Maybe you could force feed him with 'O Lucky Man' a sort of sequel.  It makes me think things haven't changed much!
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

« Reply #6355 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:17:07 pm »
The theme tune (Missa Luba by Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin) is good too.

My parents had the LP of that and played it a lot when I was growing up. I always get the Sanctus as an earworm for several days every time I watch the film. The rest of the LP is pretty good too, actually - I rather like the Gloria.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6356 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »
If....

Yes, I enjoy 'If... '   The theme tune (Missa Luba by Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin) is good too.

Maybe you could force feed him with 'O Lucky Man' a sort of sequel.  It makes me think things haven't changed much!
That jogs my memory. I reckon my parents must have had it too – but it was probably one of the pile of LPs that rarely got played except when I was exploring.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6357 on: 07 May, 2016, 02:09:48 pm »
Stop at Nothing: the Lance Armstrong Story

Pure documentary, haven't noticed it mentioned in here before.
Even at a couple of years' remove from the scandal, still riveting.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6358 on: 08 May, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
Incidentally, in the evenings we've been watching this:

Pablo Escobar, El Patrón del Mal

which is a jolly romp.  He would have made a good running-mate for Donald Trump.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6359 on: 10 May, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »
Dr Terror's House Of Horrors.  Very good (and unusual) cast.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6360 on: 13 May, 2016, 06:51:50 am »
District 9 - not what I expected at all but I rather enjoyed it.

Not sure if it was meant to have subtitles or not though. Our version didn't.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6361 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:17:34 am »
District 9 - not what I expected at all but I rather enjoyed it.

Not sure if it was meant to have subtitles or not though. Our version didn't.

Yes, there are points in the film where there are subtitles – from memory these were on screen rather than being an option to turn on and off so I’m surprised there weren’t any.

Andrew

« Reply #6362 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:20:07 am »
Resident Evil - beginning to end tosh, but what the hell, you can't always do hi-brow.

It did have zombies though so that was definitely a redeeming feature. I do like zombies. They are such a very low tech, basic baddie. I love the way they get around (not literally but also) in so many movies too.  They add something, a guaranteed factor, despite any directorial intention, just by being there. A known quantity; you feel safe with zombies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6363 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:30:47 am »
Started watching R.E. a while back. It was intriguing enough at first, but then it was "oh, fucking zombies again" and I bailed out.

District 9 I'm very fond of. I thought Neill Blomkamp might be an interesting director to follow, but Elysium was Hollywoody crap and I haven't bothered to seek out Chappie.

« Reply #6364 on: 13 May, 2016, 05:38:57 pm »
Possibly a 'dodgy' copy so maybe that's why no subtitles. It worked without so would be interesting to watch again and see how it changes it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Andrew

« Reply #6365 on: 14 May, 2016, 08:04:31 pm »
The Danish Girl
I cried buckets at the last set-piece, which was both allegorical and beautiful, as well as following a leitmotif for the whole film. Redmayne is good, though he simpers a bit as Lili, but Anna Vikander is wonderful as Gerda.

I finally got around to watching this. It's a quite superb example of film making, thoroughly recommended.

It's tempting to view Redmayne as the star, and it is an excellent performance particularly sensitive and nuanced at times, but I agree - Vikander is consistently brilliant. Hers is THE performance and, I suspect, Gerda is 'the Danish Girl' of the title.

Actually, reading back, I don't make this seem as good a film as it is. Just watch it.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6366 on: 14 May, 2016, 11:39:45 pm »
Special Correspondents

One of Ricky Gervais's projects.  Surprisingly enjoyable in spite of that, the humour is very sharp and British. 

Two horrible, horrible journalists fake being in a war because they lose their passports.  Of course there's more to it than that, but that's the gist.

6/10 - worth watching once for an undemanding evening of entertainment with pizza and a mate.
Milk please, no sugar.

fuzzy

« Reply #6367 on: 16 May, 2016, 04:50:50 pm »
The Place Beyond The Pines.

Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Eve Mendes, Bruce Greenwood and Ray Liota.

(click to show/hide)

Not exactly crap but I have seen better.

Andrew

« Reply #6368 on: 16 May, 2016, 05:03:56 pm »
The Place Beyond The Pines.

Coincidentally, I saw this last night (you're not in France are you?).

Coincidentally, I agree with your conclusion.

A long film that seemed longer. Not at all bad and, in fairness, well acted but there is an element of 'so what?' to it.

That said, it held me. Imho a film has to be pretty darned good to sustain me over 100 minutes and this film did that even if I wondered why when the credits rolled.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6369 on: 16 May, 2016, 05:09:12 pm »
Captain America Civil War.

As I have probably said upthread, last year the wife and I kind of noticed that we hadn't seen anything at the cinema in recent years that wasn't either a superhero film or Sci-Fi/Fantasy film of some kind.  We decided we'd stop that and get some proper highbrow culture in next time.

Unfortunately we then immediately saw trailers for the aforementioned film and X-men Apocalypse and we looked at each other and said 'Oh just those two more then'  :-D   I think we need methadone to get off these really.

Well it was great fun and - well - an Avengers film with great action and some self-mithering about the morality of dropping buildings on people when 'doing good'

It is what it is - a Marvel superhero film and one of the better ones I think although they all start to merge into one.  It did inspire us to watch Avengers Assemble and Iron Man the first after on Sunday evening. 
Faustus or A La Recherche du Temps Perdu it is not...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #6370 on: 16 May, 2016, 06:40:05 pm »
Our Kind of Traitor.

A bit clunky and simpler than usual but some quite suspenseful moments.  The ending was a bit of wishful thinking IMO.  Worth a viewing.
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

« Reply #6371 on: 16 May, 2016, 08:31:46 pm »
True Story

Wish I'd read the Guardian review first. It sums up the whole film perfectly in two words: dramatically inert.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6372 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:30:50 am »
My wife watched that on Sunday - I pretended to but really I was fettling my bike - she enjoyed it.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #6373 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:30:04 pm »
X-Men Apocalypse. I discovered I'd somehow missed one of the series, but who keeps track. One the better lines (and there's quite a few) in Deadpool (which I heartily enjoyed) was about the fiendish difficulty of keeping track of the X-Men timelines. We get another Wolverine origin (seriously, Hollywood, we know, c.f. Batman, Spiderman, etc.). Things go bang. There's a very naughty mutant. There always is. Magneto is conflicted. He always is. McAvoy loses his hair (another origin story, we wondered how he got to Patrick Stewart, all is answered). Actors protest about being blue for an entire movie and get their wish. Quite enjoyed it.

As Jeff Goldblum says in the trailer for the new Independence Day as the aliens partake in their sundry destruction (and yes, I have my tickets and high expectations), "they always go for the landmarks". So true, Jeff, so true. I'm scared to step on Brooklyn Bridge theses day. Temerarious nefarity seems to like stomping Tower Bridge a lot too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6374 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:47:28 pm »
As Jeff Goldblum says in the trailer for the new Independence Day as the aliens partake in their sundry destruction (and yes, I have my tickets and high expectations)...

If he doesn't save the day with an iPad Pro, I'll want my money back.