Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952381 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6975 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:11:15 am »
In other news I finally remembered to watch Spectral (I slept through the first attempt, but was a more due to the fact I'd had a few glasses of magic sleeping potion in the pub earlier). Now that I liked. Ninja-engineer saved the day with some splendidly made-up science, all rendered with some quite reasonable CGI.

Rather annoyingly, this only appears to be available on Netflix.  I'm rather loathe to sign up to Netflix, for a single film.

The trailer does make it appear interesting.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #6976 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:30:19 am »
It's a Netflix production – they're turning out TV series and movies of their own and they're often rather good (Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, The OA etc.). Watching something called Travelers at the moment which is keeping me entertained (time travellers from the future zap into the bodies of people about to die and then have to try and save the future by averting asteroid strikes etc. while at the same time trying to assume their new contemporary identities without friends and family noticing).

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6977 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:56:42 am »
Sounds like Quantum Leap only less bad
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #6978 on: 25 January, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
It's a Netflix production – ...

Actually, I don't think it is.  It appears to have been made by Legendary Entertainment and Universal Studios, and it was expected to be released by Universal, but Netflix acquired the distribution rights, and so currently that's the only way to see it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #6979 on: 25 January, 2017, 06:56:33 pm »
Netflix do have producer credits during the roll in, but indeed it seems just because they have the distribution rights.

You are missing out

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #6980 on: 25 January, 2017, 08:31:05 pm »
'Jackie'

About Jacqueline Kennedy/Onassis.  It was based around an interview she gave only a week later with flashbacks to the principal moments.  I felt it captured the horror and desolation of the event whilst giving an honest portrayal of a tough character still very much in control of herself and those she dealt with.

Worth watching if you are going that way.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6981 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:04:56 pm »
Actually, his last film appears to have been "Alice Through the Looking Glass", that was released after "Eye in the Sky".
ah yes, missed that.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6982 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:07:59 pm »
'Jackie'

About Jacqueline Kennedy/Onassis.  It was based around an interview she gave only a week later with flashbacks to the principal moments.  I felt it captured the horror and desolation of the event whilst giving an honest portrayal of a tough character still very much in control of herself and those she dealt with.

Pathetically trivial comment on a serious film:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6983 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:25:23 pm »
Operation Avalanche

Given the premise, this annoyed me at least two orders of magnitude less than I expected it to.  It's clearly a satirical work of fiction[1], wrapped up in a beautifully executed homage to 16mm, and more layers of meta than you can shake a cine camera at.  Some of the acting's a bit iffy, but you're never sure how much of it is actually acting...

[1]
(click to show/hide)

spindrift

« Reply #6984 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:54:52 pm »
Passengers

Bit silly. The premise is great, like a Twilight Zone episode, then it goes a bit generic. No bras is space apparently. You also have to just decide BECAUSE SCIENCE at some strange plot anomalies, like why are there vast recreational facilities that will only be used for 4 months of a 200 year flight?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6985 on: 27 January, 2017, 08:44:34 am »
La La Land last night, and we La La Loved it, actually. It wasn't as song-and-dancey as I imagined, and was very impressed with Ryan Gosling's piano playing. Hadn't expected the ending, er … ending like it did.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6986 on: 27 January, 2017, 08:45:14 am »
Operation Avalanche

Given the premise, this annoyed me at least two orders of magnitude less than I expected it to.  It's clearly a satirical work of fiction[1], wrapped up in a beautifully executed homage to 16mm, and more layers of meta than you can shake a cine camera at.  Some of the acting's a bit iffy, but you're never sure how much of it is actually acting...

[1]
(click to show/hide)
I read your link - and another random review on the web - and I still can't work out what the film is trying to say. Hopefully it's just a bit of clever/arty fun - the director sounds quite cool. If they really think the moon landings were faked I might find the film unbearable.
Incidentally:
(click to show/hide)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6987 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:21:10 pm »
'Jackie'

My review: meh. I found Natalie Portman's voice incredibly irritating and none of the characters were likable. I almost walked out but it was really cold and I wasn't getting a lift till it finished.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6988 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:47:36 pm »
Operation Avalanche

[1]
(click to show/hide)
I read your link - and another random review on the web - and I still can't work out what the film is trying to say. Hopefully it's just a bit of clever/arty fun - the director sounds quite cool. If they really think the moon landings were faked I might find the film unbearable.
Incidentally:
(click to show/hide)

That wasn't my point.  They method they proposed (well, handwaved over) for faking the landing was so ridiculous, and they hung a lampshade on one of the fundamental problems,  that it took the whole film out of the realm of "moon landing conspiracy theory" to "silly fun".  I think they made it to see if they could.

« Reply #6989 on: 27 January, 2017, 09:48:20 pm »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Finally.

I knew the gist of the story and definitely knew the ending, just by general osmosis. But it was fun watching it all unfold. Glad I wasn't disappointed as with The Breakfast Club earlier this year.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6990 on: 27 January, 2017, 11:41:30 pm »
Eddie The Eagle

Route one stuff but none the less enjoyable for that. I came out of it with a newfound respect for Eddie, and a better understanding of just what an achievement it is to go from complete novice to Olympian in an extremely dangerous event in the space of a year. That bit was never really the focus of news reports at the time - looking back on it, the British press treatment of him was pretty shameful.

(Of course, I understand that a lot of the film is invented - the Hugh Jackman character, for example - but the fundamental fact remains that he chucked himself off a 90m ice ramp strapped to a pair of planks, which is a fucking insane thing to do.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6991 on: 28 January, 2017, 04:26:05 pm »
We liked Eddie The Eagle too.

Utterly bonkers sport though I agree.

« Reply #6992 on: 28 January, 2017, 04:29:17 pm »
Trainspotting 2

« Reply #6993 on: 28 January, 2017, 04:35:26 pm »
I'm interesting in seeing that despite only actually seeing the first one once.

What did ya reckon?

« Reply #6994 on: 28 January, 2017, 05:16:17 pm »
Its a good film, very good. But dont go expecting another kaleidoscopic epic like T1.

Its a film about middle-age. Some of the characters  have aged well, some not so well. Problem is, I'm just 2 years older than Renton so it felt like the film was about me, not least because the original film music was the soundtrack of my mid 20s, and the score on this film has downtempo remixes of some of the Underworld tunes that featured. Its quite haunting. :-[. Certainly had the intended impact on me. The characters are aware of their mortality, and unlike T1 it doesnt capture the 'mood of the moment', because of course it isnt their moment. They had that 20 years ago. The nightclub scene reinforces this neatly.

Its definitely worth seeing.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6995 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:11:01 am »
The Hundred Foot Journey

Delightful, if a bit silly.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6996 on: 29 January, 2017, 10:54:47 am »
The Hundred Foot Journey

Delightful, if a bit silly.

Surely as it's set in France and at the end of the 20th Century it should be The Thirty Metre Journey (India metricated in the 1950s) /pedant
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6997 on: 29 January, 2017, 11:22:52 am »
Bit of a film fest here:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Wet-behind-the-ears foreign correspondent in Afghanistan morphs into a young Kate Adie. Enjoyable and interesting, despite the obligatory US slant on the world.

Night Train to Lisbon
After a chance meeting, a boring Bern University lecturer sets off on a quest to find out about the Portuguese revolution. Intensely moving stuff. Not sure why I'd not heard of the film before.

London Road
Documentary about the Ipswich serial killer. Somehow I missed the bit that said it is retold through the medium of song and dance. WTF? Switched it off after ten minutes.

Fast & Furious 7
Obviously not expecting much, but thought it might be a fun bit of escapist nonsense. Switched it off after ten minutes when I found out it was over two hours long - srsly?

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
I can see why this was groundbreaking stuff when it was released, but it has not stood the test of time. Vaguely enjoyable, but mostly consists of a few witty one-liners over a standard story with a non-standard set of characters. Good but unnecessarily long.

I Promise You Anarchy (Te prometo anarquía)
Low-budget Mexican film about two skateboarders who fall in love but get in over their heads when they try to make a few pesos selling (other people's) blood on the black market.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6998 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:34:20 pm »
Do you know what, I might go and see T2 again.

« Reply #6999 on: 29 January, 2017, 04:30:58 pm »
Blazing Saddles, courtesy of Torslanda.  I could go on about it but my work here is done.