Linked Events

• York Rally: 23 June, 2023 - 26 June, 2023

Author Topic: York Rally 23-25 June 2023  (Read 16147 times)

Re: York Rally 23-25 June 2023
« Reply #50 on: 13 June, 2023, 07:49:05 pm »
As some of you already know because of various niggly medical conditions and age (80 this week) I cannot any longer cycle camp so the car was my only option for getting to York. For that reason, only a couple of weeks ago I got a 4-man car camping tent from Blacks. I have just put it up in the garden and it is much bigger and heavier than I anticipated and with my knackered hands I found it difficult to pack it away properly.

So here is my offering: I shall come to York and most likely stay over until Monday morning. If any of you want said tent you will have to help me pack it away and take it with you. Or help me pack it away and get it in my car for you to collect from me at my home. Don’t want anything for it and there may be some other items of camping gear if of use to anyone.

Let me know if interested.

Tent is a Eurohike Sendero 4 - 4 Person Tent - Green
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 13 June, 2023, 08:37:41 pm »
Sad news but a generous offer. (No, I don't want it.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #52 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:25:05 pm »
I'm certain that some of us will at the very least be able to assist with the un-pitching and packing up, regardless of the tent's eventual destination!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #53 on: 13 June, 2023, 10:34:31 pm »
I just mentioned this to the EldestCub who expressed a cautious interest in this very generous offer - I think he needs to ascertain work schedules before he would be able to commit to heading to the racecourse at a time to suit you!

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #54 on: 14 June, 2023, 01:09:29 pm »
I'm planning on coming over Saturday - Monday, although I am a little disappointed that multi-tasking with pride is not possible. :D
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:55:43 pm »
Group ride to Naburn Saturday evening anyone?

That's almost compulsory.

They're meddling with tradition:

SATURDAY RIDES
09:30 The Non-Conventionals

Ian Prince (York Rally Committee) is leading this ride for those who ride tricycles, recumbents, hand cycles, Moultons, Bromptons etc mainly along a traffic-free cycle path to the Tearoom at Naburn Lock, where you will be able to enjoy delicious snacks and drinks. Route map and GPX file below:
The Non-Conventionals 2023.

Non-conventionals being well-known for their low faff and enthusiasm for getting up in the morning...   :facepalm:

« Reply #56 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:57:10 pm »
It is a lovely cafe, but I couldn't imagine the VeloVision lot being up that early.

« Reply #57 on: 15 June, 2023, 07:47:19 am »
Just be me then  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #58 on: 15 June, 2023, 09:03:05 am »
I just mentioned this to the EldestCub who expressed a cautious interest in this very generous offer - I think he needs to ascertain work schedules before he would be able to commit to heading to the racecourse at a time to suit you!

I usually leave early on the Monday morning but if he lets me know when he can be there I may be able to adapt. If he or you are visiting the Rally come and find me and we can discuss.
Home

« Reply #59 on: 15 June, 2023, 05:11:33 pm »
n00b question - bike security.

Do I need to lug a proper lock down with me? I just don't want to.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 15 June, 2023, 05:23:10 pm »
The bike security arrangement is an assortment of crowd-control barriers distributed throughout the field for people to lock their bikes to.  Sometimes they don't even fall over.

In terms of risk, there have been (I think overnight?) thefts in the past, so some sort of lock is prudent.  Where on the 'London station' to 'cafe lock' spectrum it should be is less clear.  I'd suggest that maximum security is unnecessary, but I've either been locking up a recumbent (which is surely not the thief's first choice in a field of thoroughly decent conventional bikes) or securing my Brompton by putting it inside a motor vehicle.

A smart bike thief would obtain suitable vintage cycle gear in the trade show, change into it in the loos and then ride off inconspicuously on whatever unsecured cycle has been left outside while its owner nips for a pee.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 15 June, 2023, 05:52:07 pm »
I'd suggest that York Rally is exactly the type of event likely to attract smart thieves, and that for that reason, unusual, high-end cycles of all sorts, including recumbents, are likely to attract them. But IIRC the thieves who were chased away by security last year were petty pilferers of loose items.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #62 on: 15 June, 2023, 06:03:03 pm »
Fiiine.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #63 on: 15 June, 2023, 08:41:51 pm »
As some of you already know because of various niggly medical conditions and age (80 this week) I cannot any longer cycle camp so the car was my only option for getting to York. For that reason, only a couple of weeks ago I got a 4-man car camping tent from Blacks. I have just put it up in the garden and it is much bigger and heavier than I anticipated and with my knackered hands I found it difficult to pack it away properly.

So here is my offering: I shall come to York and most likely stay over until Monday morning. If any of you want said tent you will have to help me pack it away and take it with you. Or help me pack it away and get it in my car for you to collect from me at my home. Don’t want anything for it and there may be some other items of camping gear if of use to anyone.

Let me know if interested.

Tent is a Eurohike Sendero 4 - 4 Person Tent - Green

Tent stowage at BFC (&Arabella) campervan if needed, not planning to rush off.

« Reply #64 on: 15 June, 2023, 08:44:29 pm »
I'll be there from Wednesday to Monday - I've volunteered as one of the organising group.  I will be taking part in the 'non - standard' ride on Saturday with a vintage PDQ recumbent.  And apart from that mostly on duty round the event.  Look out for a blue and white T4 campervan (and / or an old gadgey in a black sun hat).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #65 on: 16 June, 2023, 06:14:27 am »
Anyone going up from London?

Anyone know of any cheap B&B nearby?

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #66 on: 20 June, 2023, 06:14:01 pm »
Non-conventionals being well-known for their low faff and enthusiasm for getting up in the morning... :facepalm:

And the ease by which they can travel hundreds of miles by public transport to attend in the first place. :facepalm:

I plan to be there – assuming the Dundee cycling contingent hasn't nabbed the only suitable hanging space on the only suitable train that had a bookable bike space remaining – but I shan't be there until gone lunchtime.  The amount of faff I've experienced already thanks to train operators, and sundry non-train related issues, means I'm thinking about calling time on the whole endeavour after this year.  I don't own a car, and hiring is a ruinously expensive additional cost when I already prefer to own a motorbike, which as any fule kno is nearly a lost cause for transporting bicycles (if not entirely) which wasn't my plan anyway.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #67 on: 20 June, 2023, 08:57:38 pm »
I'll be there from Wednesday to Monday - I've volunteered as one of the organising group.  I will be taking part in the 'non - standard' ride on Saturday...

Ditto on the "Tango'd" Windcheetah (which I haven't really ridden since its restoration).

But some hard graft beforehand setting out all the camping pitches (and packing it all away afterwards).

« Reply #68 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:59:41 pm »
The weather could be interesting, yet again. Touch wood the forecast is accurate until Sunday.  ::-) Meanwhile a Butterfly over the Antlantic........

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:08:58 pm »
My take on it is that it's leaning towards scorcio, which may bring associated thunderbolt and lightning.  The alternative option is that the relentless northeasterly comes back and makes it neither of those.  The only thing that we can rely on is an astronomical[1] pollen count.

[1] In space no one can hear you sneeze?

« Reply #70 on: 22 June, 2023, 09:33:21 am »
I've been dodging thunder storms all afternoon and evening with some success (just drenched in two 5 minutes downpours).🙂

« Reply #71 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:44:06 pm »
The weather could be interesting, yet again. Touch wood the forecast is accurate until Sunday.  ::-) Meanwhile a Butterfly over the Antlantic........

OI!  Don't blame me!

Anyway. I don't think I've booked (although I've been wrong before) so we are going to be turning up and hoping for the best. Clarion will definitely be car assisted, I may or may not ride.

:D :D :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #72 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:52:15 pm »
Looing forward to seeing you all again. :)
Home

« Reply #73 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:55:21 pm »
First train of the trip cancelled.  :facepalm:

« Reply #74 on: 22 June, 2023, 08:16:57 pm »
I have arrived and will be helping the helpers  :o .this could be interesting  ;)