Author Topic: Isle of Wight Randonee - 5th May 2024  (Read 394 times)

Isle of Wight Randonee - 5th May 2024
« on: 28 April, 2024, 08:53:39 am »
I'm looking forward to this one in a week's time. I'm over for the day, via the Southampton ferry. Anyone else heading over? I've met very few YACFers over the years and it would be nice to say hello to a few more.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: Isle of Wight Randonee - 5th May 2024
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2024, 10:05:34 pm »
I rode it but started from Wooton so unlikely I'd have seen you. The island seemed to have its own weather today which after finally drying up in Freshwater deluged after Cowes. Twice the number of riders since last time I rode on the day pre-Covid although I have ridden the route every year. Cracking day out!

and I lost my coveted badge  :'(

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2024, 08:12:26 am »
I was out there yesterday as well, with some of my CTC group.  Very nice day out, even if there often wasn't a view due to being in the murk at the top of the hills.  Got to Wootton Bridge, so almost got back to the ferry, before the 4pm rain!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2024, 03:38:01 pm »
I seemed to be the only rider not using the app but a paper brevet card. Not sure how the App worked when I logged into my entry email it just said "download your certificate here" even though I didn't go back up to the Wooton control at the finish having ridden up there in the morning so they didn't know I'd finished (or started; the only person who checked me was the one handing out badges)...

Since last riding "on the day" in 2016 a lot of controls had changed. Bembridge still the same, Alverstone gone. Ventnor was a new one with a welcome Samba band. Hulverstone from 2003 long gone. It certainly wouldn't pass the distance as an Audax. Yarmouth school derelict and replaced by Freshwater. Huge queue at the Cowes floating bridge but most got on.

I was expecting the Honda Monkey motorbikes although I don't think they do this weekend anymore. There were quite a few MG and Triumph cars. Got a stiff neck looking at all the old cars both moving and stationary as part of my consecutive number plate game, as usual the island didn't disappoint with potential vehicles although no new numbers for me.

I now have 13 badges (lost the first from 2003 and missed a few rides) so the next job is to make a little canvas map of the island to pin them all to.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2024, 07:34:54 pm »
I seemed to be the only rider not using the app but a paper brevet card. Not sure how the App worked when I logged into my entry email it just said "download your certificate here" even though I didn't go back up to the Wooton control at the finish having ridden up there in the morning so they didn't know I'd finished...

We turned up at the Wooton control, being our first, looked at the massive queues and decided not to bother checking in at any of the controls, and just rode the route.  In the evening I was still emailed a certificate!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein