Author Topic: I still hate the new Arrivee design  (Read 21230 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: I still hate the new Arrivee design
« Reply #75 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:43:52 pm »
Surely if you want to be that environmentally friendly, just email the PDF ::-) ;)... or is that too anti-luddite .. ::-) ;)
Anyhow - sorry, can't stop, just off to laminate a route sheet  :D

PDF is a nice idea, tho I wonder if there are better options for how to do the same info that would be as easy to produce, but are more versatile on things like e-ink based e-readers like kindles. Would also allow things like a screen reader for anyone with poor sight, etc...

The nice thing about many of these formats is producing both is relatively easy...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #76 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:52:44 pm »
You can already get it in pdf format. Sign up to Issue and you can download as pdf.

« Reply #77 on: 19 June, 2018, 10:23:43 pm »
You can already get it in pdf format. Sign up to Issue and you can download as pdf.

If I do that do I stop receiving a paper copy in the post too?

I want the mag but I just want a digital copy.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #78 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:14:12 pm »

As a complete newb to this, I would say some training tips are useful. It would save me asking so many questions here.

Suitable related topics that would be of interest to a newbie like me include: "Cut out the faff: Improve control discipline to save time and improve average speed", "Pain in the arse: how to improve on bike comfort", "Which is better M&M's, mars bars, or custard creams as audax fuel" "Going further: From 200 to 300" "going further: from 300 to 400" "going further: from 400 to 600" "The big one, doing your first 1000+ ride"

I found this article covering some of the above a good read: http://www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/stepping-up-to-300k/

Phil W

« Reply #79 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:16:32 pm »

If you tell Caroline you no longer want the printed copy then yes.

« Reply #80 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:26:35 pm »

If you tell Caroline you no longer want the printed copy then yes.

Excellent, thanks, will do.

But I think the opt-out (yes, the default should be to receive hard-copy for various reasons) should be much easier than that (as an AUK of 10+ years I've no idea who that is but I'm sure it would be obvious with a few minutes of checking the website - it is). But a checkbox I can unselect on the members section of the website might be another way, with instructions for doing so printed clearly inside each edition. Something that makes it less of a burden for the administration team; telling hundreds of people to contact a single person to unsubscribe probably isn't ideal.

I'd also like Issuu (I assume you meant them before your auto-correct go to it) or AUK to email me whenever a new edition is out, otherwise I'll have no idea unless I check here.

The AUK website is also out of date: http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/ as it only has links to Arrivee up until Feb 2017 online.

It's all a little bit disconnected.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #81 on: 20 June, 2018, 12:00:53 am »
Compostable packaging is superior to paper...

I hate to break it to you, but the whole magazine's made out of paper.
I hate to break it to you, but it's packaging that goes straight in the bin as soon as it's received, not the mag itself  ::-)

There's a good reason for the mag to be on paper - it's a good way of spreading word of Audax because you can lend it to people, leave it on coffee tables etc.

The packaging always goes straight into the bin.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #82 on: 20 June, 2018, 12:26:52 am »
Why would you bother joining AUK if someone was going to share a Pdf of Arrivee with you? You'd need to enter more than 9 events a year for that to be worthwhile.

That's a common enough mindset among the generation that expected all content to be free. Fortunately that pirate era was short-lived, as their 'It's behind a paywall', whinging has been proven to be unsustainable. If they don't want to pay, it's just tough.

« Reply #83 on: 20 June, 2018, 01:02:27 am »
Just today got my copy and at the off I will say that had I not known the title of the magazine was supposed to be Arrivee, I could never have known from the fluttering ribbon at the top of the cover page.

But anyway, why Arrivee? Is it supposed to denote something about arriving, isn't randonneuring about the journey, so could it be called Journee or some such bastardization of the French language - not a bad idea by the way.

As for the content; I realise editors can only work with the material at hand so no point carping about that except to plead is it possible to have a precis before each piece because having a short attention span I do not like to read any more than  one page on any one subject. Bike ride reports that cover multiple pages and include content such as "I did this then I did that and then I did something else" quickly loses my interest. For that reason I never read blogs which for the most part I find are self-congratulating exercises.

Other than that, I think this edition of the fluttering ribbon is wonderful and I have yet to open it to the inside page.

And about those helmets...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 20 June, 2018, 04:03:12 am »
Just today got my copy and at the off I will say that had I not known the title of the magazine was supposed to be Arrivee, I could never have known from the fluttering ribbon at the top of the cover page.

But anyway, why Arrivee? Is it supposed to denote something about arriving, isn't randonneuring about the journey, so could it be called Journee or some such bastardization of the French language - not a bad idea by the way.

As for the content; I realise editors can only work with the material at hand so no point carping about that except to plead is it possible to have a precis before each piece because having a short attention span I do not like to read any more than  one page on any one subject. Bike ride reports that cover multiple pages and include content such as "I did this then I did that and then I did something else" quickly loses my interest. For that reason I never read blogs which for the most part I find are self-congratulating exercises.

Other than that, I think this edition of the fluttering ribbon is wonderful and I have yet to open it to the inside page.

Any chance of starting your post with a précis? There might be people on here with a short attention span.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #85 on: 20 June, 2018, 05:25:47 am »

Any chance of staring your post with a précis? There might be people on here with a short attention span.

tldr

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #86 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:31:12 am »

Is Arrivé not the French for finish line, or end? or some such? I've heard people use it in English "Made it back to arrivé within the time limit, just" or some such.

I like it as a title, even if I can't read the title on the front page. It's like the way the pub on a gold course is the 19th hole...

J
--

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #87 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:44:26 am »
But I think the opt-out (yes, the default should be to receive hard-copy for various reasons) should be much easier than that (as an AUK of 10+ years I've no idea who that is but I'm sure it would be obvious with a few minutes of checking the website - it is). But a checkbox I can unselect on the members section of the website might be another way, with instructions for doing so printed clearly inside each edition. Something that makes it less of a burden for the administration team; telling hundreds of people to contact a single person to unsubscribe probably isn't ideal.

The Membership Secretary is the person who handles the Arrivée mailing list, so that's who you need to notify if you don't want to receive it.

What you suggest sounds like a good idea, but it's another job on the long list of jobs for the website manager. Really, these are full-time jobs being done by volunteers in their spare time for token remuneration.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #88 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:47:48 am »
Nobody picked on my earlier comment...  :'(

Thoughts about the new regular feature on training tips?

citoyen

« Reply #89 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:00:19 am »

It's just a title, don't get hung up on it.

Journée is an actual French word, and doesn't mean what you think it means.

As for the content; I realise editors can only work with the material at hand so no point carping about that except to plead is it possible to have a precis before each piece because having a short attention span I do not like to read any more than  one page on any one subject.

When Sheila was editor, her approach AIUI was to publish articles pretty much as submitted. There are good reasons for this - one being that contributors can be a bit funny about having their masterpieces tinkered with, another being that it's a very time-consuming job to edit pieces down to a word count in a sensitive way that doesn't lose the author's voice or cut out their best gags, as is adding headlines, standfirsts, crossheads, pull-quotes...

I would agree that some submitted pieces would benefit from significant editing to make them more readable, but... are you volunteering to do the job?

citoyen

« Reply #90 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:01:20 am »
Nobody picked on my earlier comment...  :'(

Thoughts about the new regular feature on training tips?

Nobody? Are you sure?

This post makes some good points:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108390.msg2296954#msg2296954

whosatthewheel

« Reply #91 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:03:43 am »
Missed it, clearly...

« Reply #92 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:58:13 am »
"Which is better M&M's, mars bars, or custard creams as audax fuel"

Custard Creams - no contest !

« Reply #93 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:46:48 am »

I would agree that some submitted pieces would benefit from significant editing to make them more readable, but... are you volunteering to do the job?

And take the flak?

« Reply #94 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:48:19 am »
Why would you bother joining AUK if someone was going to share a Pdf of Arrivee with you? You'd need to enter more than 9 events a year for that to be worthwhile.

I joined to be part of the club, have my results recorded together and to be eligible for badges and member only events. I don't think I knew Arrivee existed at the time.

I do like the articles that aren't lengthy blow-by-blow accounts of rides best. One thing I'd love to see is pitches from organisers to do their rides. In fact, I don't recall seeing anything much written by organisers at all.

« Reply #95 on: 20 June, 2018, 12:54:57 pm »
This is a truly wonderful place: we now have criticisms of written material by people who don't like reading!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #96 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:08:53 pm »
This is a truly wonderful place: we now have criticisms of written material by people who don't like reading!

Time to move on to critiquing the composition of some of the photos?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #97 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »
"Which is better M&M's, mars bars, or custard creams as audax fuel"

Custard Creams - no contest !

[citation needed]

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:11:43 pm »

Time to move on to critiquing the composition of some of the photos?

Putting them all in circles means we don't get to moan about the aspect ratios.

But there's something suspicious going on on the back cover.  I may have to re-consider the stories I hear about invisible cyclists coming out of nowhere... :)

« Reply #99 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:53:11 pm »
But there's something suspicious going on on the back cover.  I may have to re-consider the stories I hear about invisible cyclists coming out of nowhere... :)

Discussed in the "AWWOO est AWWOO-ed" thread. Most probably the camera's botched interpolation of many shots taken in HDR mode.