Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1569409 times)

fuzzy

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11925 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:08:25 am »
Real bike shops are permitted to stay open! They can cut cable to length, ask them to molish an appropriate nipple.

They are and they do. Christ it's been busy. So many people realising that they need a bike to get out of the house for their one exercise a day or discovering that their long garaged/ sheded bike has siezed up and needs molishing. They still need all this yesterday though.

Another thing. What is it about born again cyclists that means they can't read big signs saying wait outside to be served, or dont see the barrier sash right accross the entrance giving the run ragged staff a bit of social distance? Yes, that bright red barrier sash that they moved to one side before asking if they can come in?

And breathe (through the makeshift buff facemask of course).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11926 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:06:47 am »
TacxGarmin have stopped support for the TTS 4 software, I knew this was coming as they want to sell their new subscription app, but they've also stopped selling the RLVs for it FFS, why cut off an income stream.  I've got 4 videos and was looking to get a few more a while back but never got round to it, and now I can't. might give them a call later
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11927 on: 27 March, 2020, 11:41:25 pm »
Have a look at BigRingVR.com
Much better than the Tacx RLV and massive numbers now.

ElyDave

« Reply #11928 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:57:10 am »
yebbut I've already paid for the Tacx software, and videos, I'd rather not pay again, and keep paying through the new fangled subscription only model

I might do the BigRing free trial thoughto have a look. 

« Reply #11929 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »
DVLA. I renewed my driving licence online as I need a new photo, and they were able to use my passport photo.
Grumble 1. The passport photo is older than the old driving licence one
Grumble 2. I have to post the photocard back to the DVLA. I can't just cut it or drill holes in it and email a photo of that or something.
Grumble 3. I tried to renew my wife's licence and the website timed out, claiming 20 minutes of inactivity, just a few seconds after I had just entered credit card details.
Grumble 4. When I tried to go back on the website to retry for my wife and it said that the data was not available for 24 hours.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11930 on: 28 March, 2020, 07:23:04 pm »
Good to see that COVID-19 hasn't impacted the DVLA's service standards in any way...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11931 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:49:17 pm »
We've run out of tonic.  We're not really short of anything food wise, so a shopping trip tomorrow wouldn't really count as 'essential'. Bugger.

And gin & orange is just  :sick:

So, a scotch, or a cocoa?  I'm bored stupid and cocoa takes longer to make, so probably that then.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

« Reply #11932 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:54:46 pm »
cocoa with a splash of scotch?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #11933 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:58:44 pm »
cocoa with a splash of scotch?

Already there.  :D
Had to dig around the back of the cabinet for the cheap stuff, mind.

ElyDave

« Reply #11934 on: 29 March, 2020, 07:29:26 pm »
Have a look at BigRingVR.com
Much better than the Tacx RLV and massive numbers now.

can you set it up as per the Tacx etc to do intervals, steady sessions, pre-planned workouts etc as well as the video's, or is it video only?

« Reply #11935 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:28:02 pm »
I have not done workouts but they have just introduced them. There is no reason why you could not do a workout on a Garmin whilst riding the video.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #11936 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:42:42 pm »
TacxGarmin have stopped support for the TTS 4 software, I knew this was coming as they want to sell their new subscription app, but they've also stopped selling the RLVs for it FFS, why cut off an income stream.  I've got 4 videos and was looking to get a few more a while back but never got round to it, and now I can't. might give them a call later

You probably know that they've turned off the server that validates the TTS 4 licence key, so you can't simply reinstall if something goes wrong.
but just in case you didn't...
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ElyDave

« Reply #11937 on: 30 March, 2020, 06:42:04 am »
@cygnet, yes I did know that, I'd planned to get a couple more videos before it happened, but missed the date

@chris I'm used to doing either steady state stuff at constant resistance and vary gears/cadence within a hr cap, or intervals say 7 x 4 min on/ 4 min off progression through gears with again fixed slopes for the on vs off.  Not sure how I can do that kind of thing on the Garmin, will have to go and read the manual.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11938 on: 30 March, 2020, 09:26:22 am »
We've run out of tonic.  We're not really short of anything food wise, so a shopping trip tomorrow wouldn't really count as 'essential'. Bugger.

Says who?  ???

When was this draconian measure put in place?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #11939 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:03:15 am »
All this time off is perfect for doing all those jobs round the garden I never quite get to. So this is the winter our elderly wheel barrow chooses to rust fully through (pinholes for years) and the tyre has rotted  out.

I could replace the droopy shelves in the garage.  I bought proper brackets to replace the tinfoil ones a PO fitted on a trip to screwfix last year.  Never needed a trip to a builders merchant at which I'd have picked up a sheet of ply though.

Mrs tween has lots of seeds and no potting compost.

The list of jobs we can't do for want of X is going to be extensive if this really is going to go on for six months.  Self solving problem if it does I suppose, we won't be able to afford a tin of beans by then.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ian

« Reply #11940 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:15:03 am »
I receive a report that the upstairs toilet seat is loose. Now the reportee is a type A girl, who, as such, believes it's the role of type A boys to fix things. However, she's married a type B boy who can only fix things with glue and prayers.

But yes, even this Type B boy has a spanner (somewhere) and I can tighten a bolt, surely.

Except, standing there, fully armed for maintenance he notices there is no bolt, for the designers of said piece of bathroom porcelain have cunningly hidden it inside to the bog structure itself. Which I assume means removing the entire toilet.

Fucking design genius. I'll add it to the list of things for a grown-up to do.

« Reply #11941 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:43:23 am »

You probably know that they've turned off the server that validates the TTS 4 licence key, so you can't simply reinstall if something goes wrong.
but just in case you didn't...

So basically I have a trainer that wont work anymore. Oh joy, nothing wrong with the thing mechanically and I have a windows 7 machine I use to run the software just have to hope I don't need to reinstall it.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #11942 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:08:24 pm »
<ungrumble>

Went to Hawthornes, our local pet food warehouse, to stock up & found they had pallets of compost outside.  2x 70L multi-porpoise procured.

</ungrumble>
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #11943 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:24:33 pm »

Mrs tween has lots of seeds and no potting compost.

Point of order. Potting compost is for potting on seedlings from seed compost, not for sowing seeds.  However, as my wife often says "things want to grow", and most, if not all, seeds will germinate in multipurpose. Mind you, we've stopped sowing, its so bloody cold (and we've run out of windowsills). Next weekend will be soon enough.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11944 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:42:38 pm »
I receive a report that the upstairs toilet seat is loose. Now the reportee is a type A girl, who, as such, believes it's the role of type A boys to fix things. However, she's married a type B boy who can only fix things with glue and prayers.

But yes, even this Type B boy has a spanner (somewhere) and I can tighten a bolt, surely.

Except, standing there, fully armed for maintenance he notices there is no bolt, for the designers of said piece of bathroom porcelain have cunningly hidden it inside to the bog structure itself. Which I assume means removing the entire toilet.

Fucking design genius. I'll add it to the list of things for a grown-up to do.

If it's one of those hidden fixing ones like we have it goes a bit like.

Push button catches on the underside of toilet seat

lift toilet seat and cover away from pins

remove fancy coverings from around the fittings

tighten carefully the fixing screw made of cheese

reassemble in reverse order.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ian

« Reply #11945 on: 30 March, 2020, 01:53:43 pm »
Hmm, it could be, it wasn't immediately obvious how to remove the seat, previous adjustments have involved the bolt underneath, but this is truly the future of toilet fixings and possibly the world of toilet technology has left me behind. It would make more sense. I'll look later, it can be the highlight of my day.

(That said, fixing a leak in the downstairs loo meant having to rip the entire thing out.)

ElyDave

« Reply #11946 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:20:33 pm »
@cygnet, yes I did know that, I'd planned to get a couple more videos before it happened, but missed the date

@chris I'm used to doing either steady state stuff at constant resistance and vary gears/cadence within a hr cap, or intervals say 7 x 4 min on/ 4 min off progression through gears with again fixed slopes for the on vs off.  Not sure how I can do that kind of thing on the Garmin, will have to go and read the manual.

To self-quote,

I've exchanged e-mails with the folks at big ring VR, very helpful.  Basically you can import workouts into the system which then drive it effectively using the video as moving wallpaper rather than staring at the wall. 

Looks like you can only import power-based workouts, so the system goes into erg mode using the power targets rather than slope to drive resistance as far as I can tell. That will be a bit odd until I get used to it, as I'm used to working on slope in the TTS world and then varying gear to manage HR for steady sessions.  I guess i'll need to get used to X% of FTP instead.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #11947 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:26:54 am »
Muck spreading is underway on the fields over the river out back of us right now.  That's going to be rather pungent tonight, as I always sleep with the window open.
Poo.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11948 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:02:35 am »
Aah. That healthy country air. Air so healthy you can chew it!  :sick:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #11949 on: 01 April, 2020, 02:35:46 pm »
Muck spreading is underway on the fields over the river out back of us right now.  That's going to be rather pungent tonight, as I always sleep with the window open.
Poo.
We have open pasture right up to about 5m from our back door.  Being in Cheshire's black and white cow country, we've just had the first of this season's spreading of slurry.  We were downwind of it for 3 days.......

It was a full dog wash after every walk until we had some rain......

And you can still wiff it, 2 weeks later.

We await the first round of muck spreading.  Whoopee.............

Not sure what's worse, NO2 in the city, or cow muck in the country.