Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1569264 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #175 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
Well I phoned my GP's surgery to try and book an appointment for a couple days time but it turns out I have to phone after 8:30am on the day I want an appointment.

Not so useful given that I need to leave for work at 7:45, now I could tell work I'll be in late but if I can't get an appointment that day I'll have to do it all again the day after  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LindaG

« Reply #176 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:33:49 pm »
Apparently the views from here are quite lovely. Not that you can tell. We move on tomorrow. I am favouring the South of England. Force 6 headwind and heavy rain? Hm.

« Reply #177 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:37:53 pm »
I've pitched the tent too close to the campsite lights, I'll need a sleepmask tonight. And it won't stop Bloody Raining !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #178 on: 21 May, 2011, 11:01:48 pm »
Well I phoned my GP's surgery to try and book an appointment for a couple days time but it turns out I have to phone after 8:30am on the day I want an appointment.

Not so useful given that I need to leave for work at 7:45, now I could tell work I'll be in late but if I can't get an appointment that day I'll have to do it all again the day after  :facepalm:

My surgery does on line appointment bookings now.  So I book from work.  It makes life so much easier as you can see all the available slots for each day and choose a very early or late one to fit in with work plans.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #179 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:45:33 pm »

My surgery does on line appointment bookings now.  So I book from work.  It makes life so much easier as you can see all the available slots for each day and choose a very early or late one to fit in with work plans.

Can I come to your surgery then?  ;D

I think I remember reading something about an online system at this surgery when I joined (though might only be for repeat prescriptions) but need to go in in person to get signed onto the system. Which is even more of a pain regarding work at the moment.

« Reply #180 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:46:31 pm »
And also, why oh why do I leave it so late when ordering presents? And when copying my work address from a letterhead how do I get the postcode wrong?!?!  :facepalm:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #181 on: 23 May, 2011, 08:58:34 am »
Bread manufacturers, when you label your bread as "toastie" bread, has it not occured to you that it might be good to, you know, make it so it FITS IN THE GODDAMN TOASTER!!!

Nice crispy toast with an untoasted, floppy bit at the end is not nice, it's not like we have a modern, ultra compact (read small) toaster, we have a Dualit, which have been around since dinosaurs roamed the earth...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #182 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:02:06 am »
It's Just Wrong, isn't it Tiermat?

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #183 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:44:40 am »
Undermining a chap's toasty goodness is ample justification for bringing back the birch, IMHO.

« Reply #184 on: 23 May, 2011, 10:17:19 am »
We bought a toaster recently and it's just about impossible to get one that fits a standard, modern slice of bread. I know, because I have toured shops with a cardboard cut-out of a slice :-)

The lady who served us in John Lewis said it's a regular complaint and that if you invented a toaster with a longer slot, you'd make a fortune.

We now have a De Longhi. The toast fits.. but the toaster takes so long the toast is a bit dry before it's done.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #185 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:12:31 am »
Bloody wind, bloody hills, knee go 'spoing'.
Ow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #186 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:38:20 pm »
Toaster toast is minging anyway. Make it on the grill.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #187 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »
I think the Dualit toasters are pretty good at fitting up slices to toast. They are very expensive though.

tiermat

« Reply #188 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:50:19 pm »
I think the Dualit toasters are pretty good at fitting up slices to toast. They are very expensive though.

Normally, yes, but for the Toastie bread, which seems to be too long to fit in the slots, so the tops stay untoasted (unless you faff about and turn the toast over half way through, then you end up with two half done ends and a smaller patch in the middle done).

Dulaits are very good, we bought ours because Mrs T seems to be the kiss of death to cheap toasters :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #189 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »
Dear snotsystem,

You threatened me on Friday so I LARTed you with pile-o-drugs.  I know I did lots of stuff this weekend but did you have to start threatening me again today?

Am now spaced out on pile of drugs and can feed the sudafed dehydration effect which will hopefully reduce the breeding opportunity for viral or bacterial gremlins so they can't give me yet another attack of sinusitis.

Could do without feeling quite so dead though.  Motivation to do work is somewhat lacking.  Motivation for "all divisional team meeting" even less so.  I am sure they mean well but god they're BORING.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #190 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:59:10 pm »
Bread manufacturers, when you label your bread as "toastie" bread, has it not occured to you that it might be good to, you know, make it so it FITS IN THE GODDAMN TOASTER!!!

We have a slightly faulty toaster that cost an awesome 8 quid from Woolies.

It doesn't eject properly, and tends to start fires if left unsupervised, but the bread actually fits.  Consequently we have no desire to replace it.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #191 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »
After investing 10 of my very precious lunch break minutes to peeling it, once again I am left utterly disappointed by the results of my effort.  It’s just a friggin orange, they've been around years you know, why can't you get it right Morrisons and do something radical like stock some that are actually edible?

If this apple is crap too there's gonna be trouble.....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #192 on: 23 May, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »
Best toast is done over a camping stove outside a tent. ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #193 on: 23 May, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »
You appear to have misspelt 'fire' :)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #194 on: 23 May, 2011, 02:44:41 pm »
Last time I had cooked-bread, it was because there was a very lot of sossidge-fat in the frying pan.  Bread soaks it up a treat.  Nom Nom *burp*
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

tiermat

« Reply #195 on: 23 May, 2011, 04:48:39 pm »
So as to not de-rail the Rant thread from it's sensitive position at the mo....

$IT_EQUIPMENT_SUPPLIER, why did I bother making sure that the four items I wanted were showing as in stock?

When I get through the payment stage 3 out of the 4 are showing as awaiting stock! Idiots, if I had have known that I would have chosen another model, now I will have to wait until Thursday to get the stuff that I really need tomorrow, 'cos you won't split the delivery.

And you have the bare-faced cheek to charge me for next-day delivery to boot! feckers!!!

« Reply #196 on: 23 May, 2011, 05:21:03 pm »
Knee... Grumble... Doctors... Grumble... prod.. grumble.. ouch... grumble.. painkillers... grumble...  no cycling for a week or two... fuck! no serious cycling until it settles down properly , could be a month...  fuckity double fuck.  Thats my plans all out of the window then :(

« Reply #197 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:49:48 pm »

Normally, yes, but for the Toastie bread, which seems to be too long to fit in the slots, so the tops stay untoasted (unless you faff about and turn the toast over half way through, then you end up with two half done ends and a smaller patch in the middle done).

Dulaits are very good, we bought ours because Mrs T seems to be the kiss of death to cheap toasters :)

We've got a four slice toaster which has two long slots, bread in sideways and job done. I like the 16 slice one my Dad's firestation has though.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #198 on: 24 May, 2011, 10:33:32 am »
Quote from: The Mouth Of Sauron

In the interim your calls are being manually actioned and assigned to the appropriate support groups via email, you will receive a corresponding ticket number when the application restarts.

That'd be a first >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #199 on: 24 May, 2011, 05:43:58 pm »
Youngest child, will you please start growing some longer legs?  We tried out the trailerbike that I bought as a birthday present for a friend of mine last year, since we were round at their house.  He STILL can't reach the pedals.

Sigh.