Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1569393 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8125 on: 09 September, 2016, 11:23:08 pm »
How the fuck can anyone sell a replacement battery for a product for more than a national chain of bricks & mortar retailers are selling the entire product, complete with a battery & charger? I had thought of getting a spare battery . . .

Aaah, it is on sale elsewhere for less. A mere 65% of the current price of the entire machine with all the trimmings. A bargain!  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8126 on: 10 September, 2016, 01:49:41 am »
Battery capacity the same?

Hazarding a guess that this might be power tools, it's relatively common for the Cheap! Bargain! Amaze! offer to be for tool and (say) 1.3Ah battery, while the slightly dearer spare is actually something like 4Ah.

« Reply #8127 on: 10 September, 2016, 10:40:57 am »
See also toner cartridges for home laser printers.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #8128 on: 10 September, 2016, 11:40:03 am »
Battery capacity the same?

Hazarding a guess that this might be power tools, it's relatively common for the Cheap! Bargain! Amaze! offer to be for tool and (say) 1.3Ah battery, while the slightly dearer spare is actually something like 4Ah.
In this case, the battery appears to be identical.

I've just found another one: £59.99 for a standard 1.5 Ah NiCd battery to fit a strimmer that Homebase is selling for £57.47, & Argos for £49.99. Both of those are reduced, but even so . . .

In my experience, the first thing to go on these is the battery, so I was looking for one for which spare batteries are available.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8129 on: 10 September, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »
Often the case that I've found the spare battery is prohibitively expensive to make you go out and buy the latest super dooper version of the thing that you last bought.

Last time this happened to me, I managed to find a drill that came with a spare batery for the same price as another that didn't.  That's got me one step ahead.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8130 on: 10 September, 2016, 05:49:03 pm »
Gah!  I hate searching for holibob breaks on tinternet.
You want me to tell you where I want to fly to?  I dunno, whatcha got?
You now want me to enter the exact dates I want to fly out?  I dunno, whatcha got?
Fuck me.  You need to know the exact airport I want to fly from?

Shit.  I need a site where I can enter
When:. Sometime, anytime in the next three weeks
Duration:  2, 3 or 4 nights
To:  Entice me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8131 on: 10 September, 2016, 08:15:33 pm »
You now want me to enter the exact dates I want to fly out?  I dunno, whatcha got?

HTH 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8132 on: 10 September, 2016, 08:52:15 pm »
 ;D
Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT
 :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8133 on: 10 September, 2016, 08:56:45 pm »
;D
Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT
 :thumbsup:

Sig'd.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8134 on: 10 September, 2016, 09:07:20 pm »
Much chuckling..... :-D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8135 on: 10 September, 2016, 10:27:52 pm »

Skyscanner => From: Cardiff + add nearby airports, To: Everywhere, Date: show whole month.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8136 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:34:35 pm »
*massive sigh*

On Saturday morning my washing machine was draining and my downstairs neighbours came thumping on the door to say they had water pouring through their ceiling. I went down for a look, and they did. Everything up here appeared to be dry.I avoided using the kitchen sink and the washing machine for the rest of the weekend (how much for a launderette? Fuck off!) and this morning I called Stuart who works for one of the contractors we use for bathroom jobs, who is pretty good.

He took up several floorboards, removed the plinths from the bases of units, pulled the washing machine right out etc etc and everything was dry and dusty. We ran the sink, everything stayed dry. We filled and drained the washing machine three times - everything stayed dry. Went down to the neighbour's (with spare keys), everything dry. So we agreed I would do the dishes and a load of washing and keep checking and phone Stuart to let him know what happened. I did loads of dishes, and a load of laundry, and everything stayed dry, here and downstairs.

We are stumped. Because of where the water comes and in and the drainage goes out, and because I was in bed on Saturday morning and not in the bathroom running any water, the chances of it coming from anywhere else in this flat are vanishingly small. It's completely baffling. The only other thing I can think of is the flat behind mine or the fucking plumbed by a chimp flat above mine might have had some sort of incident which for some reason ended up dripping through downstairs while bypassing me, but that would be strange.But I'm not even sure anyone's living in the flat behind mine.

Also, Pete wanted to help Stuart.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #8137 on: 12 September, 2016, 06:11:47 pm »
AWL Jr: I know you were very poorly and couldn't help it, but you were a metre away from the nice, non-absorbent bathroom floor when you decide to empty the copious contents of your stomach onto to the very absorbent stair carpet. Scooping up the remnants of a Subway meal - complete with red onions, but NO carrots - was not an entertaining way to end Sunday night.

Poor little sod's on a drip at the moment rehydrating. The only thing he ate that we didn't was a burger at the local Cats Protection gala yesterday...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8138 on: 12 September, 2016, 08:05:06 pm »
Oh dear, not fun to be in hospital with things stuck in you.  GWS to AWL Jr
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8139 on: 13 September, 2016, 12:55:52 pm »
*massive sigh*

On Saturday morning my washing machine was draining and my downstairs neighbours came thumping on the door to say they had water pouring through their ceiling. I went down for a look, and they did. Everything up here appeared to be dry.I avoided using the kitchen sink and the washing machine for the rest of the weekend (how much for a launderette? Fuck off!) and this morning I called Stuart who works for one of the contractors we use for bathroom jobs, who is pretty good.

He took up several floorboards, removed the plinths from the bases of units, pulled the washing machine right out etc etc and everything was dry and dusty. We ran the sink, everything stayed dry. We filled and drained the washing machine three times - everything stayed dry. Went down to the neighbour's (with spare keys), everything dry. So we agreed I would do the dishes and a load of washing and keep checking and phone Stuart to let him know what happened. I did loads of dishes, and a load of laundry, and everything stayed dry, here and downstairs.

We are stumped. Because of where the water comes and in and the drainage goes out, and because I was in bed on Saturday morning and not in the bathroom running any water, the chances of it coming from anywhere else in this flat are vanishingly small. It's completely baffling. The only other thing I can think of is the flat behind mine or the fucking plumbed by a chimp flat above mine might have had some sort of incident which for some reason ended up dripping through downstairs while bypassing me, but that would be strange.But I'm not even sure anyone's living in the flat behind mine.

Also, Pete wanted to help Stuart.

Not having had a shower since Friday for fear of leakage, I really needed one this morning before work. So of course Scottish Water were fixing a burst main and supplies to EH8,9,16 and 21 were affected. The water lasted long enough for me to wash my face, hair and body, and condition my hair, and then cut out altogether, so I am work with conditioner in my hair and soapy residue everywhere else.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8140 on: 13 September, 2016, 01:49:09 pm »
Not having had a shower since Friday for fear of leakage...

A lot of men my age face that problem.
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #8141 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:12:32 am »
Have to go to a conference at Heathrow Airport (or rather, an hotel there). I don't know who thinks locating a conference at an airport is a good idea, but it isn't me or a good idea. No one goes to Heathrow specifically. It's like a day trip to Purgatory. My options for getting there seem to be spending a hour in M25 traffic or three bloody trains and a bus. All on a beautifully warm day.

And I have to do this for three bloody days because someone needs to feed the cats and my wife has run away to work drink gin.

I may just take my Brompton and cycle from Hayes & Harlington. So if there's news reports of a bloke cycling up the runway, that's probably me and another of my wrong turns. Not that left, the other.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #8142 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:39:16 am »
Have to go to a conference at Heathrow Airport (or rather, an hotel there). I don't know who thinks locating a conference at an airport is a good idea, but it isn't me or a good idea. No one goes to Heathrow specifically. It's like a day trip to Purgatory. My options for getting there seem to be spending a hour in M25 traffic or three bloody trains and a bus. All on a beautifully warm day.

And I have to do this for three bloody days because someone needs to feed the cats and my wife has run away to work drink gin.

I may just take my Brompton and cycle from Hayes & Harlington. So if there's news reports of a bloke cycling up the runway, that's probably me and another of my wrong turns. Not that left, the other.

Yep i feel your pain.  I've been to conferences at airport hotels and it's a hellish journey (and very expensive).  The organisers always argue that it's easier for flying delegates, but if I was flying somewhere for a conference I'd like to see a little of the country rather than just an airport.

ian

« Reply #8143 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:47:43 am »

Yep i feel your pain.  I've been to conferences at airport hotels and it's a hellish journey (and very expensive).  The organisers always argue that it's easier for flying delegates, but if I was flying somewhere for a conference I'd like to see a little of the country rather than just an airport.

One of my US colleagues asked if there wasn't anything to do there. Other than get on a train to London, erm, no. Heathrow just happens to be about as awkward as possible for me, necessitating an hour across London or risking the M25 at its frequently stationary rush hour. I'm not sure if 2-4 hours travelling is worse or better than an Heathrow hotel. I'll use today as an excuse for riding my Brompton. It'll also bump up my eccentric arrive-by-bike cred. People are amazed by such a thing. You rode here? Yes, but astride a unicorn, I just happen to be carrying a bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8144 on: 16 September, 2016, 10:11:41 am »
Friday is bin day. When it's just a recycling week they normally turn up between about 9 and 4, but when it's wheelie bins too – as it is this week – they get here around 8. Except today they arrived before 6. Is there no way to make rubbish collection quieter? (As it's lots of junk falling a metre or so into a large metal container, probably not. Still, least I don't have to get up at audax o'clock every day to collect other people's garbage – almost a first world problem!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8145 on: 16 September, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »
Gah! Trying to get Italian vendors with a "she'll be right" attitude to comply with comments made by specification blinkered Kazakh engineers is doing my head in!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8146 on: 16 September, 2016, 04:56:41 pm »
We now have a nurse in 3 times a day to see to the Inlaw Paw. ETA is unpredictable and can vary by a couple of hours. During that time we're continually on the alert so as to have the dogs out of the way quickly when she gets here. It's kinda wearing.

Still, it's free and a hell of a lot better than doing it ourselves.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8147 on: 17 September, 2016, 07:55:27 am »
Sympathy, T42. We are very fortunate that, firstly, Phyllis has made a remarkable recovery to the extent that she only needs one visit a day and, secondly, the carer concerned always arrives about 9.30. Thirdly, the dog has become so completely blasé about the doorbell ringing that he doesn't even lift his head in acknowledgement. Phyllis does pay for this service, but it is a mere £6.80 per visit.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8148 on: 17 September, 2016, 08:16:27 am »
Thanks, Wow. I'm hoping our dogs will become similarly conditioned, ditto the nurses.  We're expecting some kind of bill for the bit not covered by the social security, but it's better than the 2,400 € the local care home would take.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8149 on: 18 September, 2016, 09:16:34 pm »
When I opened my back door this morning there was something green and shiny on the concrete slab by the door of the bike box.  When I took a step into the back yard hundreds of greenbottles took flight, revealing a huge pile of cat shit.  It absolutely stank.  When I googled why cat poo would smell so awful, it said that it might be giardia or other parasites.

I am so sick of this.  I was wearing such beautiful shoes, and I had to step round it to get my bike out so I could go to church, as I had to leave straight away to get there on time.  And I was carrying food with me as well.

I cleaned it up when I got back and the smell made me gag.
Milk please, no sugar.