Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1569344 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #200 on: 24 May, 2011, 05:46:26 pm »
Stuff his boots wi' horsemuck!  ;)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #201 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:41:01 pm »
go away sair foot arches, sair stiff neck and sair stiff shoulders...    >:(  Checked up on my position in the waiting list to see th nhs podiatrist.  Still 6 weeks. (and that was what they said nearly 6 weeks ago.....)

« Reply #202 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:47:25 pm »
How odd. My daughter is currently without her mobile phone having had it confiscated by the school before Easter and I have yet to go collect  it for her since I was so unimpressed by her 2nd mobile crime (caught using it in lessons) this school year. She appears to have borrowed one half of a walkie talkie and is walking around the house talking to her friend on it constantly. I didn't even know they still made such things in these days of mobiles  :o

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #203 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:48:49 pm »
How odd. My daughter is currently without her mobile phone having had it confiscated by the school before Easter and I have yet to go collect  it for her since I was so unimpressed by her 2nd mobile crime (caught using it in lessons) this school year. She appears to have borrowed one half of a walkie talkie and is walking around the house talking to her friend on it constantly. I didn't even know they still made such things in these days of mobiles  :o

We've got a set. The idea was that we used them to keep in touch with my parents at night when they lived down the other end of the house.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #204 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:50:26 pm »

If it is a walkie talkie (and not a borrowed phone) then that's pretty awesome. Made me chuckle anyway.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #205 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:55:05 pm »

If it is a walkie talkie (and not a borrowed phone) then that's pretty awesome. Made me chuckle anyway.

Well it's crackly and I heard her say 'over' so I think it's for real  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #206 on: 24 May, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
As a child of the 80s I am of course insanely jealous that she has a friend within walkie-talkie range, although I suppose with PMR that's a fair bit further than it was with the sort of kit we had as kids.  But then that pales into insignificance compared to the coolness of a basic mobile phone.  Such is the way with technology:

« Reply #207 on: 24 May, 2011, 07:59:31 pm »
They do, however, usually only have eight channels & there's a fair chance someone's overhearing her, so you might want to make her aware of this...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #208 on: 24 May, 2011, 08:56:33 pm »
Or get one for yourself...

border-rider

« Reply #209 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:02:02 pm »
We've got a set.

We've got 4.  1 in each of our cars & a pair in the kitchen.  With no mobile coverage they're very useful for Mrs MV to tell me there's a cup of tea afoot when I'm farting about outside somewhere,

(or: "I'm stuck in sno on the lane.  Bring shvl")

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #210 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
We have a box of them downstairs.  At some point I'm going to attempt to fettle a couple to see if they can be made to work with barakta's hearing aid as a significantly less valuable and longer-range alternative to using the FMGenie so she can hear me over wind noise while on bikes.

« Reply #211 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:12:45 pm »
I used to have some for the children I used to look after, so that I could let them know it was luch time if they were in the woods. It was fun :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #212 on: 25 May, 2011, 11:33:12 am »
2-way radios were the bane of our collective life at Battle Mountain last year.  For many a year we'd had a repeater sat on top of the local mountain, thereby enabling communications over a range of six miles, but at some point prior to the 2010 some ["Oiks" - The Invigilator] either stole or trashed it >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #213 on: 25 May, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »
My collie dog is being such a biatch this month! First she chewed up my brand new (and unused) Exped camping pillow and I had to buy another one. This morning I look out of the kitchen window and there is a box of energy gels open and strewn all over the lawn! How she got the box out through the dog flap I have no clue. The caffeine in them doesn't appear to have had much of an effect on her fortunately. There are only 12 out of 20 of them left  :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #214 on: 26 May, 2011, 02:48:57 pm »
Helldesk, if luser x sends you an e-mail asking for report a to be sent monthly to lusers y and z, there is no need to open a separate helldesk ticket for each luser.  It is apparent that they don't have common sense where you come from.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #215 on: 26 May, 2011, 09:41:34 pm »
Terry Farrell and Partners have a bloody awful website. I shall look for some stuff about them and Nine Elms elsewhere. I shall not employ them as architects (not that I expect to ever be in a position to employ an architect).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #216 on: 26 May, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »
Helldesk, if luser x sends you an e-mail asking for report a to be sent monthly to lusers y and z, there is no need to open a separate helldesk ticket for each luser.  It is apparent that they don't have common sense where you come from.
But that makes THE HOLY STATS look better.  Two whole calls raised and resolved so fast!

(it's stuff like this that is why I will never be a manager)

Meanwhile in grumble land: the new Echofon is ugly and buggy.  Give me prettier free stuff, you bastards, or I'll moan a bit.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #217 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:05:21 am »
SAP team!  STFU!

That is all.

« Reply #218 on: 27 May, 2011, 02:21:21 pm »
Motorbike: If you are going to conk out, at least do so when I am not stuck in a queue of traffic in the middle of a busy road, please.

Self: Do not try to bump start a motorbike in first gear.

kthxbai
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #219 on: 29 May, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »
No1Daughter. There was half a stale loaf of white bread. Bread & butter pudding's a bit rubbish with wholemeal. :(

LindaG

« Reply #220 on: 30 May, 2011, 12:47:31 am »
Just noticed the time.  I have to go to work tomorrow.  Another lottery FAIL.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #221 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:26:47 am »
Its still raining  :-[

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #222 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »
After a long period of idleness I thought I'd get a bit of exercise. So on Tuesday I walked for 5 miles, Wednesday - cycled 20 miles, Thursday - walked 7 miles, Friday - cycled 28 miles. It may not have been much but it was enough to fuck up my immune system, cos now I've got a bleedin' cold.

Whilst I was idle I was wonderfully healthy.

Bollocks.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #223 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:20:29 pm »
You were doing well up that hill into Eccleston, and we were quite happy to sit behind you in the car until there was room to pass wide. Waving us to go past, when there was clearly another car coming the other way, and we'd have had to pass far to close to make it, and then looking irritable at us for waiting, was a bit off.

Damn cyclists. Ok, it was hot, and he was working hard, but it's not like we were revving the engine or anything.  If we'd passed when he waved us through, no doubt he'd be complaining now about bloody drivers passing too close in the face of oncoming traffic.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #224 on: 05 June, 2011, 07:12:41 am »
My radio alarm clock has died  :'(

I've had it almost 18 years and it had a klaxon alarm that was one of the few things that can wake me.  It's been to a number of countries with me, include two war zones. 

And now it is no more...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor