Author Topic: How & Where to buy new (PTFE?) Chain Tubing.  (Read 1896 times)

How & Where to buy new (PTFE?) Chain Tubing.
« on: 02 September, 2013, 01:01:19 pm »
Hi,
The chain tubing on my Kettwiesel is worn through and split and very bandaged with gaffer tape and I need to replace it.  I don't need a full set of Kettwiesel tubes just a single length of about 1.0m in length (3 foot 3 inches in real money). 
Anyone know a reasonably priced source?
Chris Chapman

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: How & Where to buy new (PTFE?) Chain Tubing.
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »
I've bought chain tube from Bikefix before, they seem to be reasonable competent at selling the stuff.

If you're not fussed about the magic properties of PTFE (my understanding is that it lasts longer, rather than significantly reducing drivetrain losses), I believe appropriately sized PVC tubing can be obtained cheaply at garden centres.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for this speedy reply.
I have just measured what is left of my existing tubing and it seems to be 15mm external diameter and about 12mm or 13mm internal diameter.  I shall order a 2.0m length of the 16mm external 12mm internal tubing ( cos the 15mm 10mm stuff seems a bit too narrow for the chain) and report back.
Shame it is in white only.
Chris

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »
I've used plastic plumbing pipe - the stuff that is an alternative to 15mm copper pipe.

Flaring the leading end makes a big difference - heat it with a hot air paint stripper or hot hair-drier and use a suitably shaped screwdriver handle shoved in to flare the end out to a trumpet.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »
I've got a couple of sections of chain tubing that was excess when I replaced Cycleman's (when he kindly loaned me his Anthrotech).

I don't have a 'bent, so it is entirely surplus to requirement, so can be yours for the cost of PMing me your address.

If you live near me (South London), or work near Southwark, we might be able to arrange a handover which doesn't involve the Royal Mail.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:00:39 am »
I've used plastic plumbing pipe - the stuff that is an alternative to 15mm copper pipe.
Just bought a 3.0m length to experiment with - only cost £3.50 - cheap as chips (small bag) - This has to be the most cost effective solution!