Author Topic: Folding bike on YouTube  (Read 2676 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Folding bike on YouTube
« on: 08 October, 2008, 08:34:08 am »
Anyone seen this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJr7JRAe70c&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jJr7JRAe70c&rel=1</a>
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Re: Folding bike on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:11:18 am »
Interesting, quite a neat fold for a full size wheel bike.  It looks like the headset folding is linked into the central hinge bit, so they both fold together, that could make for some complex bits of mechanics inside the "frame", which could be worrying.

It would be nice to see better images, or even a review, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Looking at the website, it looks like it has a Schumpf bottom-bracket gear of some sort (two speed), which is suitably minimal for a town bike, which seems to be its target market.

It's hard to be certain, but it looks like the handlebars clip into the frame when it folds, which seems like a bad idea, since it would stop you adjusting the height of the handlebars.

I wonder how much they'll want for it?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Si

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2008, 03:18:12 pm »
For something aimed at commuters you'd expect there to be guards and a rack would,or at least a way to fit them, you not?  Or is it just courrier bag toting Califs that are the target market?

But I do like the look of the IF Cross. 

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2008, 04:59:53 pm »
For something aimed at commuters you'd expect there to be guards and a rack would,or at least a way to fit them, you not?

I guess with a name like Pacific Cycles, and since they appear to be USAian, they have a more benign climate, less likely to rain more or less continuously as in the UK.

A rack and guards would be a good idea, and looking at the folded images, I think you could fit at least a partial mudguard.  A full length one would probably hit the ground when folded and wheeled around.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Si

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2008, 07:55:58 pm »
Apparently the Pacific bikes are made in the same factory as R&M's Birdys so the quality ought to be OK.  I'm very tempted.

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:44:31 pm »
A very clever design!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2008, 09:44:03 am »
Looks remarkably similar to / reminiscent of the folding action on Wobbly John's wobble bike...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor