Author Topic: Saddle pack recommendations  (Read 3344 times)

Saddle pack recommendations
« on: 10 April, 2008, 08:25:40 pm »
Right, I have a mid size Topeak saddle pack, the type with the quick-release bracket on the saddle. I've just broken the 3rd one in a month; this one lasted about 3 short rides. I don't have that much weight in it. Each time it's the same: a bump just breaks the retaining edges off the bag part of the clip.

What is a good alternative, suitable for Brooks. I guess I'm looking at velcro straps this time.

Topeak again, except with straps?

(Edit: mind you, the first Topeak of the 3 lasted for years. Both the cheese-bracket ones were bought in the last few weeks)

Re: Saddle pack recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:37:18 pm »
I've just swapped my Topeak for one of these

Very similar  but has straps with klik fasteners,  rather than a clip.  Nicely made, reflective and a decent price.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:42:15 pm »
Thanks Aidan. Looks the job but I don't think I can get one in time for my trip on Sunday - are dhb Wiggle-only? Is the fitting for the light horizontal across bag?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:44:49 pm »
Carradice Prima?

I think I mean Twist...
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:48:34 pm »
Too big methinks Clarion.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:49:06 pm »
Hence my amendment.  Sorry....
Getting there...

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:50:34 pm »
I have an Altura one with a Klickfix fastener.  It's lasted me for years, probably about 5 or 6, and has seen action on both the road and mountain bike.
edit: it's a Trail Expanding.  You can also get a non-expanding version.  I don't think you'll have the same problem with the clip breaking on these.  Being Altura you should be able to get one in any LBS!

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »
No light fitting.

I'm just being difficult now, aren't I?  ;D

Thanks Clarion, didn't know they did those.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:52:55 pm »
Hadn't noticed that.  Bit silly not having their ubiquitous light loop, if you ask me.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »
Thanks Aidan. Looks the job but I don't think I can get one in time for my trip on Sunday - are dhb Wiggle-only? Is the fitting for the light horizontal across bag?

There is a horizonal strap for attaching a light just below the reflective bit with DHB on. If you look closely at the picture you can just make it out.

I also have an old Dirt MOnkey branded one which is similar, which has velcro straps and a light fitting which I got from Halfords a few years ago.

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:57:22 pm »
No light fitting.

I'm just being difficult now, aren't I?  ;D

Thanks Clarion, didn't know they did those.

Mine has a light fitting and so does the one on Wiggle!

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:57:44 pm »
The Topeak bags with straps are pretty good - I've got this one.  Doesn't wobble, works with Brooks saddles, takes tools, puncture kit and a spare tube, and has a strap for a light.

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:35:12 pm »
Thanks all. As I needed some other bits and bobs, for which chainreaction had the best prices, I ordered a Lezyne saddle pack for a bit of a change, plus it has compartments:P,  which I like.

Oddly, the small Topeak pack has an inside compartment but the medium doesn't.

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:54:13 pm »
The s-caddy version was reviewed in Cycling weakly recently. Seemed to get a good review. they seemed to like the compartments too. ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:07:42 am »
Thanks all. As I needed some other bits and bobs, for which chainreaction had the best prices, I ordered a Lezyne saddle pack for a bit of a change, plus it has compartments:P,  which I like.

It looks nice - and you can get it in grey & black!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:49:06 am »
 ;)

That's what I ordered.

It's here now, seems excellent. Sizing is smaller than the Topeak equivalent - the large is about the same volume as the Topeak medium.

Well made. Internal compartments for tyre levers and bits and bobs. The tube side compartment is too small for a MTB tube but it's useful for other things. Underside compartment is a useful size and also has internal sleeve for multitool.

My only minor criticism is the very narrow and thin band at the back for a light - too thin to retain a Smart clip and will not hold light in fixed position. May well be different for other makes of light. Easily fettled with a piece of inner tube.

It's narrow and deep, fitting closely and securely under a Brooks.

A perfect YACF grey too.