Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 948224 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9075 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:35:43 am »
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.  No more need be said.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9076 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:38:29 am »
Watched Where Eagles Dare last night.
Broadsword calling Danny Boy.......

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9077 on: 11 August, 2020, 10:04:35 am »
Greyhound

We watched it because it was free and also it has Tom Hanks, pre-Covid. A gripping tale of an Atlantic convoy, with a lot of walking about and people staring at Tom Hanks. Some technical goofs, but at least they didn’t capture an Enigma machine.

Watch it if you can.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #9078 on: 11 August, 2020, 07:10:30 pm »
Not quite the going theme Ian but have you seen either Rubber or Wrong?

Because I think we're due a rewatch of both but doubt my review could do them the justice you would. I did really enjoy them though.

Or, it you want a really odd evening try The Thingy: Confessions of a Teenage Placenta. That one was odd enough that I don't think I lost any understanding by falling asleep for the middle twenty minutes. I'll concede I'm not in a rush to rewatch that one mind. There's only so many times one needs to see someone breast feeding a dog! :jurek:

I have seen Rubber, if its the homicidal tyre one, but it was some time ago.

I do like the way people go online to make poor reviews of these movies. What precisely were they expecting? Citizen Kane?

Actually, the best thing about 500 MPH Storm was the fact that it started with a sequence involving a balloon festival and a sudden giant tornado. At which point the family sensibly landed their balloon, left everyone else spinning towards their doom and drove home to make a sandwich. Which the 14-going-on-30 son didn't even want. Teenagers, eh?

ian

« Reply #9079 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:20:15 pm »
I am quite intrigued that the same studios who make these impressive movies also do 'mockbusters' – basically the take a Hollywood blockbuster and remake it for less than the catering bill of the original.

They've done one about Hobbits that 'involves evil dragon-riding cannibals who enslave a race of pygmies, played by actual Cambodian little people.'

Honestly, that has to be a significant improvement on The Hobbit.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9080 on: 12 August, 2020, 07:58:27 am »

« Reply #9081 on: 16 August, 2020, 06:52:50 am »
but at least they didn’t capture an Enigma machine.

It got pretty close! Uboat engaing in surface combat with destroyers!. The silly taunting over the radio!. The near-miss with the freighter despite them having a radar good enough to spot a submarine. Captain not being aware of the amount of depthcharges spent.  Sure, the overall premise was decent,but unnecessary drama was added.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9082 on: 17 August, 2020, 09:27:24 pm »
Laibach: A Film From Slovenia.  Fuckin' weirdos…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9083 on: 18 August, 2020, 12:15:51 am »
but at least they didn’t capture an Enigma machine.

It got pretty close! Uboat engaing in surface combat with destroyers!. The silly taunting over the radio!. The near-miss with the freighter despite them having a radar good enough to spot a submarine. Captain not being aware of the amount of depthcharges spent.  Sure, the overall premise was decent,but unnecessary drama was added.

Yes, but apart from those bits...  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9084 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:23:32 pm »
found myself watching Das Boot recently. Now that is a film that captured the atmosphere.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #9085 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:42:02 pm »
Nostalgia met boredom last night, and I watched Full Metal Jacket.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy

« Reply #9086 on: 19 August, 2020, 03:34:48 pm »
The Kill Team
Based on a true story of out of control activity in Afghanistan.

« Reply #9087 on: 23 August, 2020, 06:21:20 pm »
"Birds of Prey"...just as you thought that DC couldn't screw things up even more.....It's filmed well, though. (Gotta say something nice)

ian

« Reply #9088 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:06:51 am »
After the awful Suicide Squad (did anyone actually like it?), I'd rather saw off my own feet than watch a follow-up.

I think I owe everyone an update on my Syfy movie disaster-quest, but later, dear reader.

ian

« Reply #9089 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:16:32 pm »
To fair, at this point, I'm operating at a level of destruction that's it must be difficult for you, dear reader, to comprehend. I realised I shortchanged San Andreas Quake and failed to answer the key question of what made it more awesome than a 10.0 Earthquake, itself a Richter-clenching, sphinter-shaking hullabaloo of literal seismic proportions. How do you go beyond that? With a 12.7, that's how. Oh and a hippopotamus. Honestly, all I remember is the hippo and if you'd seen it, you would too. High scores all round from the sway-o-vision™ school of bad acting. But I really should have mentioned the hippo. Apologies.

Lightning. Sadly neglected to a bit part so far in the numerous megatwisters and supercyclones. But it gets a proper outing in Deadly Voltage. I know, I know, it's the current that kills you, but you try arguing with 'reverse proton flow.'

Super-Eruption. It's eruptin' time back at Yellowstone, this time we need to the handy skills of a couple of park rangers, evidently all the meteorologists and seismologists are busy nuclear bombing their ways out of other potential apocalypses. Still, gotta love a good park ranger uniform. I know I trust a good uniform. Also bonus points, for the first review I glanced at on Amazon declaring against this movie's 'feminist propaganda.' Quenching volcanoes is man's work, I tell you.

You know happens when you mix sea water and tectonic plates? Age of Ice, that's what. This one was a bit special. I'm not sure if it benefited or was made worse by the fact they edited it with a Magimix.

Tornadoes are a bit meh. I mean, so what, they're only really terrifying if you're a barn (the barn always gets it). But do you know where there are no barns? NYC, that's where. So NYC Tornado Terror ramped things up, multiple tornadoes forming in an urban space with no barns to sate them. I'm actually impressed with the subversive insertion of climate change into these movies, I mean it's not just a theory to these people. Possibly it's part of that feminist proganda. Oh and sentient ball lightening. Now that's deadly voltage. I'm taking off one point and then adding two for the terrible lip-synching that by end meant it seemed like they were doing each other's lines.

Earthfall is apocalyps-epic, Earth is knocked out of orbit. Yellowstone barfing up a couple of century's worth of lumpy magma is nothing compared to that. Tornadoes. That's Weather Channel-grade inclemency. Now they had a great plan to blast the Earth back using a huge natural gas deposit (some excellent foreshadowing from the intro scene). Sadly, they'd exhausted the $5 special effects budget before we got to see that, so the viewer is asked to take it on trust that it worked. Super plan, though, it's what I would have done.

I mentioned that I'm on the hunt for mockbusters to salt my disastereering. Independence Day-saster, well, come on. That title. This one turned out to be disappointing in that it really wasn't as bad as the title promised and actually improved on the original. Better than Emmerlich might not be an aspirational goal. But anyway, this was oddly life affirming. Enough that I had to go and get myself another beer and contemplate whether or not these movies are rewiring my brain like a cheap electrician in a hurry.

San Andreas Mega-Quake. I'm not sure where this one chalked up on the Richter Scale. I confess, I'm no seismologist, but I didn't think you'd need to sway if you were, well, in a helicopter a hundred or so metres above the quake, no matter how mega it might be. And they say movies aren't educational.

Unhelpfully tag-lined 'I hope you can swim' (because really, you're going to need a boat), Oceans Rising featured just that. And a boat. But really, if you going to predict a watery apocalypse, invest in a better ark rather than a superannuated leisure boat that didn't look seaworthy enough to manage two locks of the Grand Union Canal. Still, kudos for sailing it from NY to Switzerland. Look, sometimes you need a large hadron collider. Occasionally you might need two. Anyway, as arks go, it was like Noah opting to get a second-hand blow-up dinghy from Craigslist. (Incidentally, this was Noah's first plan, till it went wrong and he bought the 'lifelike' and perpetually surprised Blow-Up Brenda by mistake. God was angry but then God was always angry back then. But the second-hand Blow-Up Brenda really brough a new dimension to the phrase 'pre-loved'. This story isn't documented in most versions of the Bible, which is a shame. I can loan anyone interested my unabridged copy that has all the interesting bits kept in).

What spoils Christmas more than Uncle Bill vomiting on the turkey and grandma wetting the sofa? An Icetastrophe. Self-replicating ice crystal from space. Smart chick (see feminist propanga above, gets in a rather brilliant 'it's a meteorite' after one meteor-reference too far). Male lead had an excellent chin. But you know, it's been age since there were any decent freckles. Honestly, this one was quite good, and yes, Santa got iced. Literally. I came close to punching the sky, but that might precipitated a dangerous weather phenomenon, so I settled for a small 'yeh!'

And finally for this episode, Poseidon Rex because dinosaurs have been neglected so far and early that day a small screaming child had run past us screaming 'pterodactyl!' followed by her mother, in chase, who briefly explained 'she's scared by them.' I'm older than five and I'm still scared of them. We checked Peaslake quite carefully and found no saurian menaces. Possibly it had flown off. We did stumble across an actual pterodactyl movie later (featuring Coolio) but we'd already started this one (so that's on the watchlist, come on dinosaurs and rappers). This one easily surfed over into the so bad it's implausibly good boundary. It was actually fraught to pause for a drink, at any moment that beer might mega-erupt out of your nose. I'm not sure I can do better than the description provided.

Forced to pay off his debt to the murderous Caribbean crime lord, Tariq, instead, the American scuba-diver and treasure hunter, Jackson Slate, wakes up from its deep hibernation a massive, T-Rex-like sauroid off the coast of Belize.

« Reply #9090 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:42:31 pm »
Menashe, set in Borough Park, Brooklyn, among the ultra-orthodox Jewish community, and in Yiddish. Melancholy but charming
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9091 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:46:17 pm »
In RL, tornadoes are magnetically attracted to trailer parks.  This may serve as evidence for the non-existence of god.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #9092 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:40:49 am »
In RL, tornadoes are magnetically attracted to trailer parks.  This may serve as evidence for the non-existence of god.

I like the way they always appear on the news in front of their devasted homes to thank God for sparing them and settling on the middle ground of simply ruining their lives.

I did see a board outside a church the other day that pointed out that Jesus doesn't do social distancing ('He's always by your side'). So I've reported Him to the authorities.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9093 on: 25 August, 2020, 02:01:55 pm »

Witness the statement of an old friend* of mine from the forests of les Landes, viz: "in storms down here, trees only fall on tourists".

* all my friends are old. Damn. :(

« Reply #9094 on: 29 August, 2020, 03:32:26 pm »
T2. Very enjoyable.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9095 on: 30 August, 2020, 06:02:37 am »
"Tenet". It's interestimg, but ultimately fails to work.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9096 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:04:19 am »
The Dark Knight Rises, and I'm still wondering why. First half: 3/10, second half 4/10.  Portentous crap score 10/10.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9097 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:31:02 pm »
Sticking to the Christopher Nolan theme, they* were talking on the radio the other day about how it was 10 years since Inception came out, and the way they were talking about it made me want to watch it again. And it just happened to be on telly last night, so I did.

It really is very silly, isn't it? But in a mostly enjoyable way.

I do fancy Tenet, based on a glimpse of the trailer. No idea what it's about but I suspect it would probably be better to keep it that way until I actually do see it.

I don't think I've ever watched Dark Knight Rises. I'd had my fill after the first two.

*Ben thingy and Robbie wotsit standing in for Kermode and Mayo.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9098 on: 31 August, 2020, 12:17:53 am »
It's impossible to 'review' Tenet without giving it away. I do wish that Nolan would make a straight up action/thriller, because the first hour or so is quite good and he's clearly one of the best craftsmen around today.

« Reply #9099 on: 01 September, 2020, 03:52:58 pm »
Sticking to the Christopher Nolan theme, they* were talking on the radio the other day about how it was 10 years since Inception came out, and the way they were talking about it made me want to watch it again. And it just happened to be on telly last night, so I did.

It really is very silly, isn't it? But in a mostly enjoyable way.

I do fancy Tenet, based on a glimpse of the trailer. No idea what it's about but I suspect it would probably be better to keep it that way until I actually do see it.

I don't think I've ever watched Dark Knight Rises. I'd had my fill after the first two.

*Ben thingy and Robbie wotsit standing in for Kermode and Mayo.

What was really silly about Inception was all the people debating
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>