Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940210 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8825 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:04:41 am »
The Wife  Glenn Close as the wife of a Nobel prize winner. Good family drama and strife
A Girl Interrupted  Not unlike One flew over the cuckoos nest.  Excellent.

« Reply #8826 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:15:24 am »
The Wife  Glenn Close as the wife of a Nobel prize winner. Good family drama and strife
A Girl Interrupted  Not unlike One flew over the cuckoos nest.  Excellent.

Girl, Interrupted is a surprise partly for discovering that angelina Jolie can act. She's very good in it. Horrible character, good acting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8827 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:24:37 am »
The Madness of King George which lives on my Raspberry Pi.  Top scripting, as ever, by Alan Bennet.

The Movie Data Base, which Kodi uses as an information source, says there's a character called "William Pitt Jr".  Close I suppose.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8828 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:33:09 am »
Avengers Assemble (2012)

Much silliness, much fighty stuff. A bit incoherent, plotting could have been much tighter, but enjoyable none the less and rollicking enough that the two hours fly by. Some very funny lines.

Only gripe is my usual one with these kind of films, namely the excessive amount of collateral damage. Never seems to matter how many civilians die, but it's always a big deal when it's a named character. Hard to reconcile the sentimentality over the latter with the cold dismissal of the former.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #8829 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:37:28 am »
One of those weird things, you would think that post-911 American filmgoers wouldn't be so keen to see buildings collapsing, but it turns out they (and it seems most other people) love a good building tumble.

Admittedly, it is spectacular on screen, but I kind of always feel the uncomfortable 'but this happened for real once' at the back of my mind.

« Reply #8830 on: 05 April, 2020, 02:37:51 pm »
I'm working my way through the entire catalogue of Ingmar Bergman at one a night.  Seems somehow appropriate!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #8831 on: 05 April, 2020, 03:08:44 pm »
Luc Besson's Nikita. IIRC I last saw it in Sweden in the early 90s. It hasn't lost any of its impact and is a very good film.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #8832 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:50:28 am »
One of those weird things, you would think that post-911 American filmgoers wouldn't be so keen to see buildings collapsing, but it turns out they (and it seems most other people) love a good building tumble.

Admittedly, it is spectacular on screen, but I kind of always feel the uncomfortable 'but this happened for real once' at the back of my mind.

Just finished The Looming Tower, a docudrama on events leading up to the attack. Hindsight might so easily have been foresight.

It's very good but it did bring back vivid memories of the horror at the end.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #8833 on: 11 April, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »
AntMan. We're also doing a full MCU run through and the current run is great. AntMan caps off the run of Phase Two which contains some of my favourites from the series and we've got Civil War next.  :thumbsup:

I really like AntMan and it doesn't hurt that they cast Paul Rudd. He's a lovely fellow.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8834 on: 12 April, 2020, 10:10:58 pm »
Crip Camp (2020)

Not what I was expecting.  I had no idea that anyone - even hippies - would be making film[1] like that in the early 70s.

It's also well worth watching as a potted history of the USAnian disability rights movement.

Highly recommended.

[1] Well, video.  Which is equally impressive in itself...  This article refers.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

« Reply #8836 on: 14 April, 2020, 04:17:15 pm »
Wot no Sting?

« Reply #8837 on: 14 April, 2020, 04:35:38 pm »
Wot no Sting?

He's a bit too old to play Feyd-Rautha, and besides, we don't need *that* scene from the original film being reprised, thanyouverymuch...  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #8838 on: 14 April, 2020, 04:58:26 pm »
Wot no Sting?

He's a bit too old to play Feyd-Rautha, and besides, we don't need *that* scene from the original film being reprised, thanyouverymuch...  :-D

The silver lame knickers with the little thing that sticks out.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8839 on: 14 April, 2020, 06:16:14 pm »
Jumanji: The Next Level

Surprisingly good. To be fair, I've always enjoy the films in this franchise, even if the second one ("Zathura: A Space Adventure") was very nearly the first one, just done in space.

The reboot has been done well, both this film and its predecessor "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle", although I think a lot of that is down to the actors, primarily Dwayne Johnson, Karen Gillan and Jack Black. They could easily have just redone the original film, with a modern setting and special effects, and that would have been bad and easily forgotten. They took the approach of an entirely new story with both films, and I think it's worked. Obviously it's largely just silly escapism, but that suits me fine. ;D

I wonder what they'll do with the next film, hopefully to continue this approach? It seems likely that a third one in the reboot series will happen, because Dwayne Johnson has alluded to it in interviews, and this film was financially very successful.
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

« Reply #8840 on: 17 April, 2020, 10:30:29 pm »
Iron Man 3 (2013)

Jolly good. Far too long (at least 30 minutes) but redeems itself with some choice moments of superhero silliness. On the whole, the story is a wee bit predictable, to the point that I was getting slightly irritated with it up to about halfway through, but then it went and completely blindsided me... no spoilers but you'll know what I mean if you've seen it.

Suffice to say that Ben Kingsley completely steals it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8841 on: 17 April, 2020, 10:33:40 pm »
I don't watch that many films because in general IMO they're mostly not that good. However, having caught some Mark Kermode program last night about heist films with Babydriver and the gun going off in time with the guitar riff of Hocus Pocus by Focus, I want to watch that now,
But not the whole film, just the silly musical bits.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

« Reply #8842 on: 17 April, 2020, 10:37:46 pm »
I don't watch that many films because in general IMO they're mostly not that good. However, having caught some Mark Kermode program last night about heist films with Babydriver and the gun going off in time with the guitar riff of Hocus Pocus by Focus, I want to watch that now,
But not the whole film, just the silly musical bits.

It's on the Sony Movies channel on Sunday. The opening sequence with the John Spencer is probably the best bit in the film.

I didn't see the Kermode thing but I might watch that now. I do like a good heist movie. I presume he covered Rififi, which is one of my all time favourite films.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8843 on: 17 April, 2020, 11:15:42 pm »
Yes, he did. I need to go and watch that too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8844 on: 17 April, 2020, 11:51:42 pm »
Fly Away Home (1996)

I thought this one was a lot older than it was, but that's probably because it was still about 1991 in Canada.

Another film to file under "CGI is hard, let's just build a real one."

*HONK*

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8845 on: 18 April, 2020, 01:32:09 am »
The geese went in the loo!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #8846 on: 18 April, 2020, 10:03:25 am »
Yes, he did. I need to go and watch that too.

Such a great film. I did watch the Kermode thing and he's right - the actual heist scene in Rififi is unbelievably good cinema, literally breathtaking. Imagine if you went to see that in the cinema when it was first released and didn't know of its reputation, or have your perspective coloured by years of watching countless imitations...

Kermode is right about the ending too.

And I'd forgotten about The Asphalt Jungle - that's another that has stood the test of time remarkably well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8847 on: 18 April, 2020, 12:38:57 pm »
The geese went in the loo!!!

I thought they did a particularly good job on the sound effects for that bit.   :)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8848 on: 18 April, 2020, 12:46:58 pm »
I was bored last night. This was on C6 catch-up.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1531911/
I read the reviews beforehand and still decided to give it a go. I think I lasted about twenty minutes.

It is so unbelievably shit it isn't even watchable as a shit film.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8849 on: 18 April, 2020, 02:42:07 pm »
Once Upon a Time in London, on Netflux.  The history of Billy Hill & Jack "the Spot" Comer, who started up organized crime in London - Billy Hill was godfather to the Krays before he retired to Morocco.  Got the impression that it had been whittled down from something much longer, several scenes being context-free and seemingly meaningless, e.g. a bloke running away from a copper and being brought down by same and three other blokes in Army uniform. You couldn't tell who the bloke was and it didn't tie in with anything upstream or downstream.  Shame, for although it wasn't the kind of story the title suggests, it was interesting enough.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight