Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576077 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11600 on: 02 December, 2019, 01:01:48 pm »
Dear Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh,
Thank you for sending me a link to your Younger Fellows' Survey from a 'no reply' address.
I have been a Fellow since 1989 and a Retired Fellow since 2004.
I am sixty-one years old.
How does that make me 'younger'?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11601 on: 02 December, 2019, 01:20:39 pm »
Younger than the senile buggers who sent it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11602 on: 02 December, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »

BUT, more than that, you do not have to put everything up exactly the same each year, we do not need you asking 'Can anybody remember where these go?' about every fucking item.

>:(

I know i was moaning just now, but that sounds designed to suck the joy out of things. My place make a pretty good job of creating actual fun out of it without being overbearing, and most of the office perks budget goes to a good cause.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11603 on: 02 December, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »
Now the RCSEd has sent me an email begging for a legacy....

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11604 on: 02 December, 2019, 03:32:12 pm »
our decorations went up Sunday, Mrs ED was showing clear signs of stress as her control freakery about colours was sent to the long grass by a combination of me and the two kids  :P

She's still grumbing today, and I have the lights on a twinkly pattern as well  :D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11605 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:33:55 am »
Christmas decorations, like Jeffrey Epstein, do not hang themselves.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11606 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:02:37 pm »
I am selling a shirt on ebay . I have listed it to start at around half the price that similar items are being sold for.
After the first listing expired,i got an email from a punter asking if they were too late.
Being generous ,I listed it again at the same starting price but as a Buy It Now. Sent the punter the link so they could buy it .
Back come the message-I will buy it if you do free postage.
I resisted the urge to tell him to FOAD and just pulled the item.
Relisted and immediately got a bid.

« Reply #11607 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:05:16 pm »
Dear Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh,
Thank you for sending me a link to your Younger Fellows' Survey from a 'no reply' address.
I have been a Fellow since 1989 and a Retired Fellow since 2004.
I am sixty-one years old.
How does that make me 'younger'?

Young at heart, no doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11608 on: 05 December, 2019, 02:33:50 pm »
As I pointed out upthread, the next email from RCSEd, just a few hours later, was begging for me to leave them a legacy...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11609 on: 09 December, 2019, 02:59:36 pm »
The CO detector in the kitchen started bleeping due to a low battery EXACTLY 11 months since it last did this. (7am on the 9th of the month)

I suspect pre-dawn chill triggers it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11610 on: 09 December, 2019, 03:18:50 pm »
I popped the batteries out of ours once we stopped having fires in the lounge last spring and they're still out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11611 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »
Ours is part of the house alarm system: smoke, CO, intruder, panic & CCTV, linked to a monitoring station.

Will replace battery.

Shame I see no lithium PP3s listed at Sainsbury's. 11 months is not very long.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #11613 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:50:22 pm »
So, with much giggling and chatter the Crapstmass decorations went up at work today, lots of 'Obviously Claaare won't join in' <giggle, giggle>, 'I do hope this isn't annoying Claaare' <giggle, giggle>, 'Can we put anything on your desk Claaare?' <giggle, giggle, giggle> 'Oooh she said 'No', ooh you are such a Scrooge' <giggle, giggle, giggle>.

For Dog's fucking sake, you name is the same as mine, you know how to pronounce Clare so why do the damned extending the 'a' to infinity.

BUT, more than that, you do not have to put everything up exactly the same each year, we do not need you asking 'Can anybody remember where these go?' about every fucking item.

>:(

Another silver lining for me from being made redundant in April. No, like last year I still don't own a crappy plastic Christmas jumper with non-rechargeable battery-operated lights to wear on your special day. But you can have a quid for your charity anyway. I'm not Scrooge, just hated the false bonhomie of the season at work.

Solidarity, Clare.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11614 on: 09 December, 2019, 05:11:32 pm »
Is this what you need?
https://www.batterystation.co.uk/gp-lithium-9v-pp3-crv9-battery-1-pack/

It is but I might try to source locally to reduce carriage costs, or combine with my next multiple battery shop.

I have PP3s in stock here anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11615 on: 09 December, 2019, 08:36:30 pm »
Even better, I went up to my battery stock box. Inside the box of PP3s was the lithium battery we'd been left my an alarm technician on a previous visit.

I checked the battery, which recorded 9.78V

I now haz working alarm system without any additional expenditure.

The newly-installed battery did activate the alarm so I had a quick chat with the bloke at the monitoring station. The system works!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11616 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:14:20 pm »
Have I mentioned how lovely it is not being woken[1] by things going BIP! recently?  Well worth all the research, expenditure, guerrilla floorboard-lifting, ladder-wobbling, cable-wrangling, getting my head round the poorly-documented[2] Windows programming software that looks like something from the 1990s and so on...

(All this really shouldn't be necessary.   >:()

[1] This being Silly Oak, things do occasionally go BIP!, but not generally at 4am and they don't cause the same stress reaction on account of being Somebody Else's Problem.
[2] I expect qualified installers get sent on a training course or something.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11617 on: 09 December, 2019, 11:54:58 pm »
My alarm system is supposed to be serviced annually, though the company has not arranged that this year.

They did replace the SIM in the system.

The annual service usually replaces all the batteries and the system is usually trouble-free. Duracells only last 11 months so their visits have been out of phase with the need for a battery swap, which is why I had this lithium battery in the box.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11618 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:06:34 am »
Preemptive battery replacement is the sanest approach, and if there had been a consumer-grade deaf fire alarm system available that used replaceable batteries and wasn't notorious for false alarms, it would have been my preferred option.  At least with a pro wired system there's a single lead-acid battery, and failure warnings can be muted until a replacement is ready to be fitted.

Battery life of 11 months sounds suspiciously like someone was being optimistic with their specifications...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11619 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:22:24 am »
Duracells have REPEATEDLY failed after 10-11 months in the CO detector.

D goes WILD if his sleep is interrupted or when these things bleep if he's awake. I know he had an issue when I was away at an AUK Reunion a few years ago. Batteries seem to last longer in smoke detectors so a pre-emptive change is fine.

The CO detector in the kitchen is within my reach.

The two smoke detectors are on ceilings so I can't deal with them.

I'll phone the alarm folk tomorrow...

ian

« Reply #11620 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:44:07 am »
Our CO detector claims to last seven years, the one that necessitated replacement by scaring the bejesus out of me at 5am one morning is still running too, I meant to throw it out, but it's still on the shelf of the kitchen as I found when I did some cleaning at the weekend (it's moving in the right direction, I think it stopped because I was unsure how one correctly disposes of CO detectors). I should throw it out but I assume it wasn't a plea for batteries but an actual false alarm (I'm alive and the new box gives a flatline unmeasurable level of CO, so I'm assuming it wasn't real and I spent fifteen minutes with my head out of the window for no good reason). Never looked how they work.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11621 on: 10 December, 2019, 10:56:28 am »
Our CO detector bears the wording 'Please replace by June 2023' on its edge. It was manufactured in July 2016 and installed the following month. They obviously only last 7 years...

ian

« Reply #11622 on: 10 December, 2019, 11:18:00 am »
Ours seems to be a chip-based metal oxide semiconductor, reacts with CO and drops its resistance, cue the fearsome beeeeeeeeeep. The one the woke me is beyond its service life and I'm going to chuck it in the bin on the next trip (reading the council's labyrinthine directives on various categories of electronic waste doesn't appeal) before it does it again.

Seven-year sealed unit, which though sounds wasteful, makes sense to replace the entire thing at the end of its service life.

I think smoke detectors are still using americium, no idea how you're supposed to get rid of them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11623 on: 10 December, 2019, 11:29:31 am »
I'm sure wheelie bins and fly tipping are by far the most popular disposal methods.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #11624 on: 10 December, 2019, 01:03:29 pm »
Sadly, despite my best attempts, I'm still cursed with a conscience.

Maybe I can irradiate myself with it and see if I get superpowers.