Author Topic: Fenland Friends 3rd July 2021  (Read 8012 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Fenland Friends 3rd July 2021
« on: 07 June, 2021, 08:09:58 pm »
Fenland Friends (Flatlands Reversed) 600km is now full up, at 50 entries. I'll run a waiting list up to a few days before the event, as with Hereward, Woodman etc this year. I'll get some info out to riders in the next week or so. Of course the 21st June date for possible changes to the regime is yet to come ...

Cycling Geezer has decided to put his companion 600, Yorkshire Via Essex on hold for now, so we will be Friendless - except I have a cunning plan: ...

So, if anyone from up north wants to ride a Flatliner 600 permanent (I'm assuming we'll still be operating on only 6 per day/perm event) and ride in reverse down via Sleaford, Spalding and Chatteris, then we'd have someone to wave to. Alternatively a southerner could start from this end and ride the old Flatlands way up, so our paths would cross at the northern end.

To this end I'm offering six Flatliner 600km brevets free of charge. Applications by post with a couple of SAEs in the old skool way please.

felstedrider

Re: Fenland Friends 3rd July 2021
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »
I do hope that AUK don't take a step back if the current restrictions aren't lifted.   If so I'll need to do a perm that weekend instead.

Provided I get out and do a Summer Solstice 400 next weekend the Fenland Friends will complete my 25th SR series.   It's a civilised ride for me with a 5 mile ride to the start and a bed at 2/3rds distance.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »
I'm waiting to see what is hinted at by ye government on Monday. Maybe, just maybe AUK will open everything up promptly. Andy Corless implies as much re: LEJOG in July.

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2021, 08:49:10 pm »
I would just like to say thanks to all organisers: Tomsk and others for their efforts to keep things going. I’m signed up for Fenland Friends and LEJOG. Fingers crossed that they can go ahead. If they don’t then I can tell you how I was in peak form (this year) for the next decade.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:19:13 am »
Actually, as the limit is now 30/day/permanent, I can offer up to that number to ride a Flatliner, though so far only limited interest. Maybe I'll ride it myself and free up some Fenland Friends places - any others wishing to join me then I'll refund your FF fee. Still groups of six at cafe stops though ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:30:56 am »
Awaiting the AUK Board's decision, but informed it's likely we won't be able to go ahead. Thirty riders on The Flatliner permanent instead is an option ...

I'll be contacting all riders when things become clearer.

felstedrider

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:13:44 am »
Awaiting the AUK Board's decision, but informed it's likely we won't be able to go ahead. Thirty riders on The Flatliner permanent instead is an option ...

Thread on the AUK forum seems to suggest otherwise, but it's all subject to approval.

If not I'll put my hand up for a perm ride.   If you get an influx I'm happy to ride Fri/Sat instead of Sat/Sun (I assume that works).

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2021, 01:52:50 pm »
As I’ve presumptuously already booked a hotel up north for the Saturday night I’d be keen on a perm entry too, if it comes to it. That would also have the added bonus of allowing me to start from home pretty much  :thumbsup:

ETA I’ve just checked and it looks like I can amend my hotel booking if necessary so I’d also be happy to do the perm on a different day if numbers dictated it.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:16:00 pm »

Thread on the AUK forum seems to suggest otherwise, but it's all subject to approval.

If not I'll put my hand up for a perm ride.   If you get an influx I'm happy to ride Fri/Sat instead of Sat/Sun (I assume that works).

Trying to make decisions based on hints and rumours is, how shall we say, sub-optimal ... To be fair though, I got an update promptly yesterday from my immediate superior.

I guess 30 Flatliner perms starting on 2nd and another 30 on 3rd July is within the letter of the law, but maybe not what was envisaged when the AUK Covid Regs were drawn up. If some were riding the other way round and with different start points and times too, eveyone would be very spread out though.

felstedrider

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:01:56 pm »

Trying to make decisions based on hints and rumours is, how shall we say, sub-optimal ... To be fair though, I got an update promptly yesterday from my immediate superior.

I guess 30 Flatliner perms starting on 2nd and another 30 on 3rd July is within the letter of the law, but maybe not what was envisaged when the AUK Covid Regs were drawn up. If some were riding the other way round and with different start points and times too, eveyone would be very spread out though.

To be honest I’ve read that thread again and I’ve changed my mind.  Will see what the final guidance is.  I do have that weekend assigned for a 600 but there’s a few ways to do it.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2021, 12:42:29 pm »
We have a green light!  :thumbsup:

My offer of a free brevet for The Flatliner to ride in reverse or starting anywhere on/near the route still stands. If any ACME riders are interested in swapping to this option, we can have a peloton starting from Dunmow after the main field has gone and going round anti-clockwise.

I'll get my initial mailing out to all riders asap ...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2021, 02:44:37 pm »
I think I'm on the list for this,  what is the general approach? Book a room at 360km to 400km or just ride through and sleep in the sunshine as required on the Sunday?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2021, 06:08:23 pm »
Bus shelter on ridge above Lincoln. Hotels in Lincoln (Premier Canwick Hill). Bivvy a bit further along route. Some nice wide usually mown verges. Grab a doze in Boston McDs. Latter probably not poss this year.

felstedrider

« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2021, 08:55:16 pm »
I’ll do an overnight stop at Lincoln, faster riders have been known to make it to Boston for a hotel.  I think Lincoln makes it something like a 350:250 split.  I’ve spoken to riders who pushed on into the Fens overnight and didn’t have much fun.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2021, 08:23:37 am »
This time of year, the bus shelter options on the Burton Ridge before Lincoln are well placed for the average rider to catch a few Zs and set off as it gets light. (There are several others in Branston on the south side of Lincoln if you want to get the climb of Canwick Hill out of the way first.) A down jacket plus extra cycling layers are probably all you'll need to be comfortable. A 24-hour garage just on the edge of the city, then McDonalds at the foot of the hill in Lincoln if you need it, another in Boston, then either Spalding or Whittlesey for a Wetherspoons breakfast (also The Sunshine Cafe in the latter).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2021, 08:40:28 am »
Bus shelter on ridge above Lincoln. Hotels in Lincoln (Premier Canwick Hill). Bivvy a bit further along route. Some nice wide usually mown verges. Grab a doze in Boston McDs. Latter probably not poss this year.
I like the idea of a sleep in Lincoln, should be possible to check in on the way north and drop a bag off if required.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:14:41 pm »
This time of year, the bus shelter options on the Burton Ridge before Lincoln are well placed for the average rider to catch a few Zs and set off as it gets light. (There are several others in Branston on the south side of Lincoln if you want to get the climb of Canwick Hill out of the way first.)

You have to be quick, though - all the bus shelters were taken by the time I got there (in 2018). I ended up bivvying for a few hours in the most comfortable ditch I could find, somewhere between Branston and Boston. It was fine, once it stopped raining.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2021, 02:23:24 pm »
The last time I did the Fenland Friends route (rather than the Flatlands) I slept in a childrens playground, nice soft springy foam, a field and some kind of construction site. I got tired, slept, got cold, moved on and then got tired again. Repeated until dawn.

Audax eh?  ;D
ACME - Suffolk Branch

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2021, 03:38:09 pm »
The last time I did the Fenland Friends route (rather than the Flatlands) I slept in a childrens playground, nice soft springy foam, a field and some kind of construction site. I got tired, slept, got cold, moved on and then got tired again. Repeated until dawn.

Audax eh?  ;D

I had no idea you actually slept on audaxes!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #19 on: 18 June, 2021, 03:45:26 pm »

Audax eh?  ;D

I had no idea you actually slept on audaxes!

Well, it was more of a series of naps than actual sleep but seemed to do the job :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:25:34 am »
The waiting list have all been accommodated from the DNSs and there's now one spare place up for grabs, if anyone wants it.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:57:51 pm »
Would love to be on this but sadly on a stag :( 

Good luck to all - find the toasty fellow at the Queen's Head in Kirton and you'll probably get yourself a pint of guiness (he can be convinced to only get you a half).  There may also be a backyard shed going for you from one of the kind ladies if you play your cards right.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:44:49 pm »
The waiting list have all been accommodated from the DNSs and there's now one spare place up for grabs, if anyone wants it.

The place has been promptly claimed by The Straggler.

Anyone fancy a Flatliner, going the other way round on 3rd? - I'm tempted to do this.

« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:55:38 pm »

The place has been promptly claimed by The Straggler.

Anyone fancy a Flatliner, going the other way round on 3rd? - I'm tempted to do this.

Tom, I'm afraid I'll be a DNS; please recycle my card if you can!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2021, 08:26:57 am »
^ So there's another place available, more if we have an ACME posse on the Flatliner going the other way round.