Author Topic: Challenge 'improve' idlers  (Read 5945 times)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
Challenge 'improve' idlers
« on: 19 March, 2010, 10:37:07 am »
Just seen that the Challenge website reports there are new idlers on the way for 2010.

"For 2010 we made some small improvements on the model line. Most important are the ass steering systems. These are made from high-end CNC items now. Even the rigid SL-above seat steering is height adjustable now. Next important item is the Chain-idler for most models. For the race-bikes these idlers even slide with the chain-line."

There are photos too:

I love my Furai, but (as a few of you will know) that front idler has given me a fair amount of hassle in recent times. I'm glad to see Challenge trying to address things. Let's hope they make it easy to retrofit.

Details at Challenge Ligfietsen, Recumbents, Liegeräder, Vélos couchés     > Home
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Tim

Re: Challenge 'improve' idlers
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:44:29 am »
That reminds me, and may spur me into action.

I need a new idler for the SM, the current one is so rutted and notched from wear that it ought to be replaced as it's noisy.

Anyone got suggestions?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:46:02 am »
Are these things generic parts or specific to each 'bent?  I ask as the bearings in the Baron's idler are clearly not long for this world...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:48:34 am »
I need a new idler for the SM [...] Anyone got suggestions?

Terracycle (terracycle.com) do a range of idlers for key models. If that SM is an SMGT, there's a "HP Velotechnik Idler replacement kit" available for $85 that I've been hankering after for a while. Blurb says "A 23 tooth cog direct drop in for HP Velotechnik Street Machine, Speed Machine, Grasshopper and Scorpion. Includes your choice of Aluminum cog with ABEC bearings or Titanium cog with Ceramic bearings ($31.00 upgrade). A small spacer to keep everything in alignment is included."

Check the 'idlers' section of their site.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:50:54 am »
Sorry Charlotte, missed your post.

Terracycle offer Baron specific power and return idlers too.

Link which might not work but points at idler page on terracycle.com

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:55:52 am »
Gosh they're pricey!  :o

Does one have to order from 'Murca and cough for the import as well?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2010, 11:05:35 am »
I think Wheel NV in Gillingham import them, I could be wrong though as there is nothing on their website about them.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2010, 11:15:44 am »

Does one have to order from 'Murca and cough for the import as well?
clicky1
clicky2
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2010, 03:05:02 pm »
Terracycle's bits are the 'nads, but not cheap unless Pat Franz decides to take a liking to you and send you a light mount "for evaluation" 8)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2010, 02:54:12 pm »
Charlotte, the terracycle stuff is very good, I have their recumbent derailleur mounting thingummy.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:59:54 pm »
I too was thinking WheelNV, so I reckon there's something true there. They were certainly the boys to import the terracycle accessory mount, so idlers is a distinct possibility.

Meanwhile, I have a set of upgraded Challenge idlers on the way. Will let you know how they go.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:18:21 pm »
Look forward to the score on the new idlers - my front has just delaminated, and I am weary of the cheesy metal mount for the drive idler rolling back into the chain, sucking in the tube and mashing it to bits.  Hopefully it is all a bit stronger now.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:26:51 pm »
Still waiting for them to arrive, tbh. I *will* let you know. I'm pretty keen on getting these sorted.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:37:29 pm »

Please post figures for us people not interested in 'bents
so

1) we can have a good laugh
2) we can say to our SO that our bike isn't really that expensive to service/fix compared with...

Tim

« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2010, 04:44:38 pm »

Please post figures for us people not interested in 'bents
so

1) we can have a good laugh
2) we can say to our SO that our bike isn't really that expensive to service/fix compared with...

If you want to add parts to your uprights at darkside prices M5 now have an online shop for their more generic bits:
Product group Products

(The rest of their website is here: M5 Recumbents » News » Latest news)

« Reply #15 on: 30 March, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »
I have them and except for the color the only different thing I noticed is that the idler is on a small bus now so it has some left/right free movement.
I asked for new idlers when everything that comes in contact with a chain was worn a couple of weeks ago. Challenge sent two(because I expect to wear one down this year) of them to me, for free.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #16 on: 30 March, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »
I got a new set of those. Can anyone clue me in as to what look out for or should I buy a bag of zip-ties right away?

« Reply #17 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »
The only issue I ever had was that the protection ring came off in the Tour of Flanders, which has lots of cobblestones, and was 2 generations of idlers ago. The rest is normal (although excessive in general) wear, I hope better quality chains will solve that.

Jedrik: will you be there in Maastricht this weekend? I heard (and later read on the velomobilforum) you had a hard time on the Wankum 200. Just also read about the 300, too bad you're so slow on a recumbent. How many recumbent kms did you do before those brevets?
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:53:36 pm »
Jedrik: will you be there in Maastricht this weekend? I heard (and later read on the velomobilforum) you had a hard time on the Wankum 200. Just also read about the 300, too bad you're so slow on a recumbent. How many recumbent kms did you do before those brevets?
I did the 300 in Wankum on the Toxy TT, which is somewhat heavy and not as aerodynamic as one would wish for, that might account a bit for me being rather slow. The rest is due to a lousy winter and so hardly any time on the bent. So far I did about 2500 bent kilometers. Still, it bugs me being so slow, but I have to ride in order to get faster.

This afternoon a Fujin mini (a really pretty little thing) was picked up, and if test rides are successful might be seen in Maastricht on easter sunday. If not, you'll probably see me on my usual steed. Or I might chicken out completely and be content with the 200. I did the 300 in Wankum in time, even if I was not happy, so that is taken care of anyway.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #19 on: 09 April, 2010, 11:36:01 am »
Finally fitted the new idlers last night.

The package included two, one replacement foremost return idler, one replacement power side idler. Both look meatier than the units they replace, both allow lateral float along the spindle.

For the front one, this is maybe 5mm.

The power idler allows 10mm of travel, and loses the little 'ears' from the chain guide. This is welcomed, as I was frequently catching them and bending the guide out of shape. Unfortunately, the new idler seems incompatible with the Furai, as the thicker tubing required for the hinged rear end causes the idler to foul the underside of the seat. I'm waiting for a response back from Challenge, who to be fair, are being very good about the whole thing.

Suspect I'd get further with pics than words, so see below for the powerside issue

« Reply #20 on: 09 April, 2010, 11:37:54 am »
I might be interested in buying them if they don't work out for you?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #21 on: 12 April, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »
My Fujin mini came with those idlers and they seem to work nicely so far. I had no trouble shifting and the chain ran nicely in all gears.
After reading Andy's post I just had a close look: On my bike the powerside idler just about misses the seat when at the end of its outward range.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #22 on: 12 April, 2010, 01:42:46 pm »
I may try taking the spindle down on the lathe, then extending the thread back into it. It'd be nice to have an idler that didn't creak like fury, and that I could get to without removing the seat, so I really want to get this in place. I fear that simply padding things out with washers will create a nice little run for the chain to fall into, then wedge itself between all manner of expensive things.

Mind you, I won't get around to it for ages! :)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #23 on: 12 April, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »
I had to cut a channel into my carbon seat to make space for the power idler - due to having the seat as low as possible and my weight pushing down causing it to foul on each heavy push.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2010, 06:18:06 pm »
Cripes! I daren't even drill a teeny tiny hole in mine to let the water out!