Author Topic: Trans Alba Race  (Read 38060 times)

crowriver

• Крис Б
Re: Trans Alba Race
« Reply #100 on: 06 July, 2019, 04:57:25 pm »
She's finished in second place. Another epic ride! Well done!
Embrace your inner Fred.

essexian

« Reply #101 on: 08 July, 2019, 11:51:13 am »
Six riders still on the road coming up to midday on Monday

Of these, Cap 51 has a 100 miles to go so may finish today, while caps 54, 9, 24 and 25 should finish in the next day or two.

The final rider is halfway around the course and has the three boat rides to do. Not being rude but is there a time limit for completing the ride? I hope not but I don't see him finishing in the next week or so.

Oh to be fit enough to do this ride... I would love to but frankly, its not going to happen.

« Reply #102 on: 08 July, 2019, 02:23:49 pm »
The final rider is halfway around the course and has the three boat rides to do. Not being rude but is there a time limit for completing the ride? I hope not but I don't see him finishing in the next week or so.

Her.

No time limit other than when you need to be back to work.

She was meant to be riding with her son who DNFed due to injury, which I think ate a day and meant she faced worse weather than the others. The brief mentions of her in the daily ride reports say she's intent on finishing Good luck to her.

essexian

« Reply #103 on: 08 July, 2019, 02:33:41 pm »
Yes, good luck to her and sorry for getting the wrong gender! I assumed that her name was male. My bad.  :facepalm:

« Reply #104 on: 08 July, 2019, 11:57:00 pm »
The Pan Celtic Race starting on Sunday and is following a lot of the same roads on the Scottish stage. The lead riders would have been passing Cary all day today.

(I have a friend that's doing it. Anyone interested in a thread?)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #105 on: 09 July, 2019, 11:21:29 pm »
If you click on the points it will show when the tracker last updated. 53 hasn’t updated since this morning.

I presume they’re satellite based as there’ve been no obvious coverage gaps along the route. I imagine it’s quite easy to dislodge them into a position where they can’t see the sky well enough to transmit.
The Legends website https://www.legendstracking.com/ says the GPS derived position data is sent to Legends HQ using gprs i.e mobile phone. Possibly not the best choice for a part of the country consisting of lots of open space and  no mobile signal. Low power and cost though.
What's worse is wirh GPRS being 2g in places where there is currently no signal, 4g masts are going up without 2g so where I am right now on Loch Tummel my smart phone is of more use than my 2g Nokia bike phone.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

essexian

« Reply #106 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:51:23 am »
So the last rider on the road, Cap 42 Cary is some 20 miles from the ferry to Tobermory. I wonder whether she will get the 13.45 or the 15.15.

There is a further 20 miles to cover to get to the next ferry so hopefully Cary may be able to get off of Mull given that there are four ferries she may be able to get, the last being 19.15.

Wishing Cary well.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #107 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:42:30 pm »
Looks like Cary's made the 1345 ferry with minutes to spare. Fingers crossed she gets to Oban tonight.

21 (who scratched and restarted) is riding about 20 minutes behind and has missed it.

« Reply #108 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:03:52 pm »
Cary finished around 2 am this morning after an 160 mile final push. Amazing!

Phil W

« Reply #109 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:07:52 pm »
Brilliant