Author Topic: Rides out during covid  (Read 17557 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Rides out during covid
« Reply #100 on: 22 January, 2021, 02:13:44 pm »
Oppy on his way to the Tour de France. Do you know the after-dinner story associated with that picture?
——-
While Nicholson continued to race at country track events, Malvern Star was planning to send a team to the Tour de France. Eventually four riders were chosen - Hubert Opperman, H. W. “Fatty” Lamb, Frankie Thomas and Ossie Nicholson.

Travelling from Australia to France involved a month-long sea voyage. Keeping fit during that time was difficult, although the riders tried to use rollers on deck. A lady passenger saw Opperman riding on the rollers and asked a crew member: “What is that young fellow doing down there?” to which the crew member replied, “He’s producing the electricity for the ship, madam.”
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #101 on: 22 January, 2021, 02:35:57 pm »
If they are "real" rollers, they take a fair bit of balance and skill to ride.  It isn't like riding a bike!

Not if you put a tricycle on them.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #102 on: 22 January, 2021, 11:42:57 pm »
...Malvern Star was planning to send a team to the Tour de France. Eventually four riders were chosen - Hubert Opperman, H. W. “Fatty” Lamb, Frankie Thomas and Ossie Nicholson.

I was wondering how to place Ossie Nicholson in my memory

Twice holder of the year record!! (Wot Teethgrinder OTP had a go at)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #103 on: 23 January, 2021, 08:31:38 am »
Roller offer excepted. I will make good use of them  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #104 on: 23 January, 2021, 12:17:59 pm »
Roller offer excepted. I will make good use of them  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Now I need to work out how to pack them up and get them from York down to you.  ??? ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #105 on: 23 January, 2021, 12:57:21 pm »
If it's falling off and loading the NHS that you're worried about, I reckon going out for a ride is going to be less dangerous than learning to ride rollers!

« Reply #106 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:05:44 pm »
If it's falling off and loading the NHS that you're worried about, I reckon going out for a ride is going to be less dangerous than learning to ride rollers!
Place two chairs either side of the rollers for balance, or use a wall and a chair,
or place rollers between a doorframe.

« Reply #107 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:07:28 pm »
Rollers almost seem a bit like starting to use clipless pedals - a 'comedy' off is not unexpected.  Had one on rollers in the garden spring 2020, wobbled, tried to steady, missed a concrete block 'step', fell over a 'supporting' garden chair.  No harm done fortunately.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #108 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:14:47 pm »
I was thoroughly hoisted by my own petard on Tuesday when out with my bubble person. He rode through a big puddle of meltwater near Houghton-le-Side, hit a huge pothole, recovered without dismounting, turned his head to say ‘Ouff!’ then hit a ridge of ice, landing heavily on his (73-year-old) hip.

Thankfully, nasty cuts and bruises and a red face were the only damage 🙄

I honestly thought he’d broken his hip when he went down.

Conditions look much better today.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #109 on: 23 January, 2021, 02:16:59 pm »
Black ice around here today.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #110 on: 23 January, 2021, 03:09:03 pm »
I managed to get out today for 35-ish km, Garmin indicating -1.6C, but the roads were absolutely fine if a bit muddy
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #111 on: 23 January, 2021, 03:29:53 pm »
I am hoping that the trice will keep me upright

Davef

« Reply #112 on: 23 January, 2021, 06:24:32 pm »
Doesn’t look that hard https://youtu.be/aav7J_S9ji0

« Reply #113 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:27:15 pm »
Here's a small group of cyclists who traveled to the next county and got a fine. https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19072585.covid-fines-group-mountain-bikes-lewes/
I think this is more about coming together in one place (and getting noticed for it) than distance or cycling, but felt like it fits this thread.

« Reply #114 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:29:58 pm »
Indeed the fine was for mixing households. Where they’d come from was irrelevant.

« Reply #115 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:48:02 pm »
Indeed the fine was for mixing households. Where they’d come from was irrelevant.

Other than they'd probably driven there, hence the "unnecessary journey".
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #116 on: 08 February, 2021, 04:57:27 pm »
Were they even cyclists?
In our area "off-road bikers" would mean motor bikes in a press release.

Davef

« Reply #117 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:12:52 pm »
Were they even cyclists?
In our area "off-road bikers" would mean motor bikes in a press release.
Indeed https://road.cc/content/news/covid-fines-mountain-bikers-road-motorbikes-280755

« Reply #118 on: 08 February, 2021, 08:24:18 pm »
Thanks. I read the Argos story without even looking at the words in the link...
But typical sloppy journalism

« Reply #119 on: 10 February, 2021, 09:47:08 pm »
I would use a roller if I could afford and get one. I managed 3 miles today needing to visit the bank, large tesco for a charging lead for my phone and local shop for food supplies. I am worried about my fitness as cycling is the only exercise I can do with any degree of comfort (other than swimming which is out at present anyway)

I have some rollers up in my loft that are yours for the price of postage, if you would like them. I'd need to have a look to remind me what make they are - nothing special, certainly, but they did the job. Just let me know.
Arminius  many thanks again. Now I get some exercise in the warm and dry  :thumbsup:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPi3JQSeRN3HDQrP8

« Reply #120 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:03:52 pm »
Thanks. I read the Argos story without even looking at the words in the link...
But typical sloppy journalism
In fairness the headline was probably on purpose. The Argus really really don't (doesn't?) like cyclists.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #121 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:29:16 am »
I would use a roller if I could afford and get one. I managed 3 miles today needing to visit the bank, large tesco for a charging lead for my phone and local shop for food supplies. I am worried about my fitness as cycling is the only exercise I can do with any degree of comfort (other than swimming which is out at present anyway)

I have some rollers up in my loft that are yours for the price of postage, if you would like them. I'd need to have a look to remind me what make they are - nothing special, certainly, but they did the job. Just let me know.
Arminius  many thanks again. Now I get some exercise in the warm and dry  :thumbsup:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPi3JQSeRN3HDQrP8

You're welcome! Glad to see they're going to get some use.  :)

« Reply #122 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:41:54 am »

That's pretty impressive.

See also https://youtu.be/ybFvomdhW2Y
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #123 on: 12 February, 2021, 12:46:26 pm »

That's pretty impressive.

See also https://youtu.be/ybFvomdhW2Y
Riding no-hands on rollers is the only way in which my cycling has improved during covid.  I can now just about pick up a towel (from the handle of the lawnmower to my right in the garage) and wipe the sweat from my face.  At first I did worry about falling off and loading the NHS.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.