Author Topic: Sheffield - Cromer: route advice  (Read 2480 times)

Sheffield - Cromer: route advice
« on: 07 March, 2021, 03:07:49 pm »
Planning for me to cycle to Cromer from Sheffield as and when etc. I'll be on my Kinesis and 28c tubeless winter wheels so not adverse to the odd bit of rough.

Having read reports on here of Audax and routes that people have done, I'm hoping someone with knowledge of specific bits might run a rule against my proposed route, especially for any no-go areas.

Basic plan is Sheffield (east) - Lincoln - River Witham (Woodhall/Tattershall) - Boston - (south) Fosdyke Bridge - (back lanes North of A17) Sutton Bridge - King's Lynn (back lanes) Fakenham - (back lanes) Holt - (back lanes) Cromer.

Sheffield out east isn't an issue as it's an area I cover lots.

Crossing the Trent seems a pinch point. I've got A57 and a toll (?), Torksey viaduct, or Fledborugh viaduct. All viable?

Presumably the Witham route out of Lincoln to Boston is as it looks on the map i.e. disused railway (Sustrans stuff makes it sound pleasant).

Once over the Fosdyke Bridge presumably anything south east that isn't the A17 is OK? Certainly a few Audax routes seem to thread their way through that area.

From King's Lynn I plan to head out on the B1145 to Great Massingham. From there north east on the most direct C class roads towards Holt. I'm then on familiar roads to Cromer.

Anything glaring or stand out I should avoid like the plague?

Thanks.

Re: Sheffield - Cromer: route advice
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:32:31 pm »
Crossing the Trent seems a pinch point. I've got A57 and a toll (?), Torksey viaduct, or Fledborugh viaduct. All viable?

If you come at the A57 from Laneham & aim for Doddington ala this (link), you'll be fine.

There is no toll for cyclists on the toll bridge and I've never once stopped whilst crossing it. The next section is fine until you dive off back down the lanes.

The Fledborough bridge is fine if it's been dry for a few days but can be a bit horrid otherwise, even on 32s.

I've never done Torksey but this image (link) makes it look like a good option

« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:45:49 pm »

If you come at the A57 from Laneham & aim for Doddington ala this (link), you'll be fine.

There is no toll for cyclists on the toll bridge and I've never once stopped whilst crossing it. The next section is fine until you dive off back down the lanes.

The Fledborough bridge is fine if it's been dry for a few days but can be a bit horrid otherwise, even on 32s.

I've never done Torksey but this image (link) makes it look like a good option

Thanks markcjagar.

Fledborough was going to be my primary target (based on nothing more than) a) it crossed the Trent and b) it was on something like a direct route. It did involve a bit of wiggling though. The Laneham/A57 actually works better, as my preferred route out of Sheffield is Retford-ish, and this will fit nicely and it also takes the indecision away from going north or south of Worksop.

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:55:14 pm »
Thanks markcjagar.

Fledborough was going to be my primary target (based on nothing more than) a) it crossed the Trent and b) it was on something like a direct route. It did involve a bit of wiggling though. The Laneham/A57 actually works better, as my preferred route out of Sheffield is Retford-ish, and this will fit nicely and it also takes the indecision away from going north or south of Worksop.

No problem, Mark's fine. I'm also based in Sheffield (Hillsborough) and it's my preferred route to that side of the Trent. This is how I'd go about it but some of it'll depend on which side of Sheffield you're on.

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2021, 04:00:44 pm »
Thanks markcjagar.

No problem, Mark's fine. I'm also based in Sheffield (Hillsborough) and it's my preferred route to that side of the Trent. This is how I'd go about it but some of it'll depend on which side of Sheffield you're on.

Hillsborough! Got to love a small world. I'm S6 too.

Your route is pretty much bang on where I'd planned (expect it's standard for most of us). Usually get onto the Europa Way by dipping through Attercliffe and past the canal and underneath the bridge.

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2021, 04:13:34 pm »
Hillsborough! Got to love a small world. I'm S6 too.

Your route is pretty much bang on where I'd planned (expect it's standard for most of us). Usually get onto the Europa Way by dipping through Attercliffe and past the canal and underneath the bridge.

Indeed, S6 representing! I think it's the best route out of Sheffield to the east and I've tried a few over the years. It avoids most of the trunk routes and faster B roads and which cyclist doesn't love a sneaky single track lane.

« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2021, 04:45:21 pm »
The B1145 out of Kings Lynn is pretty busy with little refuge from traffic. I would recommend following NCN11 and 30, but if you want a shorter route, there is a quieter road that heads to Fakenham from just outside the Kings Lynn bypass. I will have a look when I get on my laptop later.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2021, 06:30:27 pm »
Would appreciate that John. Having often driven through King's Lynn I've always had the impression it's just the sort of place I'd not want to try to busk a ride through.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2021, 07:02:54 pm »
A couple of years ago, I rode from Wells-next-the-Sea to Willingham by Stow (just north of Lincoln) via Kings Lynn and Lincoln (among many other places!) The route was mainly back roads and the Water Railway into Lincoln, it is on Strava here.
My route across Kings Lynn was via the NCN route from Sandringham and I left over the bridge to West Lynn.
The only bit of really main road (without an accompanying cycle path) I covered was the short section of the A17 into Sutton Bridge (over the eponymous bridge!), which was fine, even the major roundabout at the other side of the bridge.
The Water Railway into Lincoln was fine for me on 700x25mm tyres, even the "summer" route at Bardney, although it's a bit rough and in future I will be sticking to the "winter" route!

You're welcome to pick bits and pieces from it. If you need any more info, feel free to ask!  :D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2021, 07:17:57 pm »
Thanks Yorkie, that's great. Being a track it'll be really useful.

« Reply #10 on: 07 March, 2021, 07:42:10 pm »
Would appreciate that John. Having often driven through King's Lynn I've always had the impression it's just the sort of place I'd not want to try to busk a ride through.

King's Lynn is mostly harmless.

The route I was thinking of is to head out of Lynn on the A148, over the bypass, breifly, and then heading through Grimston & Gt Massingham, from there, it's quite fiddly through to Hellhoughton and on the Fakenham.

It was a route I rode back from Fakenham Criterium racing, when I rode the recumbent trike up there a couple of Easters ago. It's flatter and a bit more direct than NCN11, but not so easy to follow.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #11 on: 07 March, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »

King's Lynn is mostly harmless.

The route I was thinking of is to head out of Lynn on the A148, over the bypass, breifly, and then heading through Grimston & Gt Massingham, from there, it's quite fiddly through to Hellhoughton and on the Fakenham.

It was a route I rode back from Fakenham Criterium racing, when I rode the recumbent trike up there a couple of Easters ago. It's flatter and a bit more direct than NCN11, but not so easy to follow.

I'm gladdened by your mostly harmless! 😂

Grimston and Massingham is pretty much the route I had in mind but I've had another look after your prompt about the 1145.

Thanks, really useful. Once I'm at Fakenham I'm on something like familiar territory.

Ben T

« Reply #12 on: 07 March, 2021, 11:24:26 pm »
there is a cycle path out of sheffield that follows the parkway and comes out near rother valley country park. The start of it is up cricket inn road.
I know a lot of the lanes around the A17 until you get east of sleaford but they’re mostly benign so pick any that goes to where you want to stop. I probably wouldnt be tempted to go on the A17 itself, not even for a short time and not at any time of day really, though you should be fine crossing it.

« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:15:18 am »
there is a cycle path out of sheffield that follows the parkway and comes out near rother valley country park. The start of it is up cricket inn road.
I know a lot of the lanes around the A17 until you get east of sleaford but they’re mostly benign so pick any that goes to where you want to stop. I probably wouldnt be tempted to go on the A17 itself, not even for a short time and not at any time of day really, though you should be fine crossing it.

Agree with you, the A17 has no merit whatsoever. Thanks.

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:47:33 am »
Back in 2016 I did a DIY 600 that went along those roads east of A17 between Boston and Kings Lynn. I wasn’t enamoured of them to be honest.  The banking means you don’t get to see quite as much of the Wash as you’d think.  Plus you basically see lots of farm traffic type roads,  they were rough and  full of flints and mud. I had 3 or 4 punctures along there. Maybe you’ll be fine with tubeless.

I also did a DIY 200 from home to Kings Lynn last November.  That approached Kings Lynn from Wiggenhall St Germans then turn left onto the cycle way at the power station to come in along south bank of Gt Ouse which is rather nice. You then pop through the dock land area which has some nice places to eat outside of pandemics.

I do have an old touring route from Hunstanton to Kings Lynn I can get off my PC if your intention is to follow the coast.

If you’re not married to the coast I’d consider Lincoln Sleaford Spalding Wisbech then onto Kings Lynn or alternately Downham Market, Swaffham and on to Cromer via the many quiet lanes from there.

The route choices as always are limited by the crossings of the major rivers.

« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:48:39 am »
Thanks Phil.

You've reminded me of something that I'd not really thought to mention, which is the route will need to pretty much parallel the A148 as the intention is to (try!) and coincide with meeting up with the family as they travel by car.

IJL

« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2021, 12:38:25 pm »

The A57 toll at Dunham on Trent is fine, the A57 can be busy but you only need to be on it for a short distance

The Fledborough crossing is a nice traffic free route, i have only ridden it the dry but is flat and fairly fast

The viaduct at Torksey is a bit of an oddity, steps at both ends and really for walkers, its going to mean riding over fields to get to the track either into Rampton or towards Cottam.  its got the feel of a half finished project, nicely restored and surfaced but no decent track once you have crossed from Torksey 

« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2021, 12:58:56 pm »

The A57 toll at Dunham on Trent is fine, the A57 can be busy but you only need to be on it for a short distance

The Fledborough crossing is a nice traffic free route, i have only ridden it the dry but is flat and fairly fast

The viaduct at Torksey is a bit of an oddity, steps at both ends and really for walkers, its going to mean riding over fields to get to the track either into Rampton or towards Cottam.  its got the feel of a half finished project, nicely restored and surfaced but no decent track once you have crossed from Torksey

Thanks, you've confirmed what I'm already thinking - A57 as per Mark's route.

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2021, 03:04:51 pm »

Coincidentally, I walked along there on Saturday from Handsworth down to Cricket Inn Road tram stop.

It wasn't the most pleasant walking route but it was direct, doubt I'd revisit awheel.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #19 on: 10 March, 2021, 12:06:08 pm »
Pack tyre boots - those lovely flint cottages in parts of Norfolk are made from local materials. A freshly cracked flint can slice into any tyre.

« Reply #20 on: 10 March, 2021, 12:50:59 pm »
Pack tyre boots - those lovely flint cottages in parts of Norfolk are made from local materials. A freshly cracked flint can slice into any tyre.

Yep, served my time in that part of the world!