Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 106762 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
(Sings)
Twmpa, Twmpa, you’re gonna need a jumper
It gets a bit chilly on top of Lord Hereford’s Knob
(Bows to audience, splits trousis)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

The cartoonist seems not to be familiar with the ways of Shimano!
https://polyp.org.uk/regular_strips/ordinary1.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

The cartoonist seems not to be familiar with the ways of Shimano!
https://polyp.org.uk/regular_strips/ordinary1.html

Not just Shimano, the whole cycle industry. Manufacturers seem to have decided that disc brakes are compulsory, consigning hundreds of expensive wheels to the scrap heap. More gears are added every year, and availability of wear items for older iterations becomes a niche ( and ever more expensive) market.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Also, since it's their fanatical devotion to backwards-compatibility that makes Microsoft's operating systems such a [REDACTED - Ed], the cycle industry is arguably worse.

Cudzoziemiec

Yep. I don't know how old the cartoon is, judging by the shape of the till and the Microsoft logo it's quite a few years old and probably pre-dates things like thru-axles and road disc brakes. I suppose 'If bike shops behaved like Microsoft, they would refuse to service your five year old bike until you replaced its components with brand new ones at your own cost' is a bit much to fit in two panels!

Yep. I don't know how old the cartoon is, judging by the shape of the till and the Microsoft logo it's quite a few years old and probably pre-dates things like thru-axles and road disc brakes. I suppose 'If bike shops behaved like Microsoft, they would refuse to service your five year old bike until you replaced its components with brand new ones at your own cost' is a bit much to fit in two panels!
While I totally understand the gripe about the bike industry, I think that's really harsh on MS. They offered free upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when 7 went out of life last year - Windows 7 was released 10 years previously. To me, that's above and beyond.

A mate* who is a bike mechanic on the wrong side of the water just wrote this, a story that might appeal to many

https://citizenrider.blogspot.com/2021/01/there-go-my-google-reviews.html

*strictly speaking, the brother of a mate, but this is Teh Internets, and it's been a load of years, so that qualifies for a direct relationship.

these are beautiful

https://www.twmpacycles.co.uk/

Want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0vt5v37B0

I watched that with MrsH - she enjoys watching the racing and some of the "Top Gear" style stuff GCN does. At the end, they said the frameset is about £3k. MrsH surprised me by saying that wasn't that much for the craftsmanship, and about how value there is in of having something you love as the bike you ride. Do I take that as permission to get my place in the build queue reserved?

Cudzoziemiec

That recurring argument on whether cycle route signs should mention distances or journey times has just gained an extra dimension; the Dutch are using calories expended...
https://twitter.com/Cycling_Embassy/status/1351439482206244865

It seems that Dutch cyclists use 1320 kcal an hour. No wonder they have to eat so many pancakes!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That's because they haven't discovered bicycle pumps.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Komoot can detect whether I am doing my commute on an e-bike or on a normal bike.

Cudzoziemiec

Some architecture students have designed a cycle path.

Doesn't it look useful.  :hand:

Yesterday I went to my LBS 'cos I needed a couple of inner tubes. The process taught me why we all need to adopt tubeless as rapidly as possible. I just wanted bog standard 650B tubes. Once upon a time there were two sizes of tube for 27" and for 26" and that covered about everything except kids bikes and wheelchairs. Jeremy's pa and I searched through a pile of tubes all proclaiming marginal differences in dimension for 650b or 27.5. I came away with what I wanted but I can see all the interest for a LBS to promote tubeless and its undoubted advantages for just about everything except your wallet.

Yesterday I went to my LBS 'cos I needed a couple of inner tubes. The process taught me why we all need to adopt tubeless as rapidly as possible.

Wait until you hear about the millions of tubeless standards, which largely boil down to asking around if anyone has used X tyre on Y rim and whether it was a massive pain in the arse.

I just wanted bog standard 650B tubes. Once upon a time there were two sizes of tube for 27" and for 26" and that covered about everything except kids bikes and wheelchairs. Jeremy's pa and I searched through a pile of tubes all proclaiming marginal differences in dimension for 650b or 27.5.

The metric system is your friend. ETRTO or GTFO.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Yesterday I went to my LBS 'cos I needed a couple of inner tubes. The process taught me why we all need to adopt tubeless as rapidly as possible.

Wait until you hear about the millions of tubeless standards, which largely boil down to asking around if anyone has used X tyre on Y rim and whether it was a massive pain in the arse.

To which the answer is invariably 'yes'.

The metric system is your friend. ETRTO or GTFO.

This.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I was out in the car yesterday, following a group of cyclists through a village, going very slowly because it wasn't safe to overtake (blind bend, parked cars etc), but the motorist behind me was less patient so sounded his horn, at which one of the cyclists turned her head and gave me the dirtiest look. I mouthed the words "It wasn't me" but I have no way of knowing if she understood.

Very frustrating!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tom Ravenscroft was on the radio yesterday covering Steve Lamacqs show. He mentioned getting a p@#cture on his bike. When I emailed in for the feature I pointed out he shouldn't say the P word as it can encourage them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Tom Ravenscroft was on the radio yesterday covering Steve Lamacqs show. He mentioned getting a p@#cture on his bike. When I emailed in for the feature I pointed out he shouldn't say the P word as it can encourage them.

He seemed very impressed at how quick the chap in the shop was able to repair it...

You could have pointed out that he might have saved himself a lot of bother if he learned how to fix punctures himself, instead of needing to run into the nearest bike shop and playing the 'I'm a celebrity' card to jump the queue.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I'll pull him up on that next time I communicate or post him a visitation repair kit

What with him and shaun Keaveney regularly cycling in I might offer to go and be their cycle mechanic

Cudzoziemiec

Is there a name for the hobby or practice of riding round with a [boombox/ghetto blaster/portable music device] in a backpack? Several practitioners out today.

Also a band (percussion, xylophone or something similar, flute) playing in the Staple Hill tunnel.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
There's 'sodcasting' for blaring music from your phone in public, but I'm not sure if there's a specific term for the bicycle-mobile version.  Other than 'Critical Mass' and 'Christmas ride', where such things are compulsory.

Cudzoziemiec

Nah, this wasn't blaring out music for a whole group of riders, this was personal and mobile. I've noticed some delivery riders doing it. A form of 'sodcasting' I suppose but being mobile, it's less likely to be annoying (unless you happen to be riding in the same direction at the same pace, but then you can always speed up or fall back if it's really annoying you).

I've been sperimenting with BSO maintenance techniques for my hack bike for the last couple of years. To be fair, I do squirt the chain with gt40 now and again, but otherwise it has to take life as it finds it. Normally it is used only for shopping and allotment runs so I figured that break down would do little damage. Anyhow, using it this morning for a six mile ride (!) I discovered two things. First, a disadvantage of this method. Dropping a chain off the top end of the block can be inconvenient. This is a negative aspect of BSO maintenance. However, replacing it doesn't get your fingers oily. This has to be considered a positive aspect.