Author Topic: British Road Race Championships  (Read 1881 times)

British Road Race Championships
« on: 26 June, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »
Women's Result
(click to show/hide)

Men's Result
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: British Road Race Championships
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
Men's Result
Well done Bradders.  Podium top spot.  G got second.  Pete Kennaugh 3rd.  Top result for Sky

...and not forgetting Stannard in 4th.

To be fair, once that 12 man breakaway got clear, anything less than that winning margin from Wiggins would probably have been regarded as Not Good Enough. Good to see all the top Brit pros taking the national championships seriously though.

Highlights will be on ITV4 this Saturday after the coverage of the TdF opening stage, apparently.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:24:56 am »
It was a great day out at the Nationals.

Wiggins taking almost 30 seconds out of Thomas and Kennaugh in a mile was very impressive when you consider he doesn't have a sprint.

If ITV show Ned Boulting's interview with Peta Todd (Cav's girlfriend), I'm the one sitting behind them trying to look nonchalant.  ;D
a great mind thinks alike

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2011, 02:33:00 pm »
I can't help thinking there was a bit of a Mapei/1996 Paris-Roubaix thing going on there...

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »
Are you suggesting Thomas and Kennaugh eased off a touch in the last few km?

d.

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2011, 03:57:19 pm »
I wonder if, somewhere in a wharehouse in Mechelen, there are already some red, white and blue Pinarellos in Wiggins' size?

(I also wonder if they'll be some in Thomas's size going cheap? :demon:)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »
According to Wiggo, Kennaugh attacked (he's been second three times in this race) and Thomas "stupidly" chased him down, then Brad rode over the top of them and TT'd to the finish. If they'd all come in together Thomas would have won easily.

When he crossed the line, Kennaugh did not look like he'd just colluded to throw the race, particularly after he only decided to compete on the Saturday morning.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:40:20 pm »
I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the highlights, but instinctively, I'm inclined to believe that Wiggo has the class to win in the way he did without the assistance of team orders.

d.

« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »
According to Wiggo, Kennaugh attacked (he's been second three times in this race) and Thomas "stupidly" chased him down, then Brad rode over the top of them and TT'd to the finish. If they'd all come in together Thomas would have won easily.

When he crossed the line, Kennaugh did not look like he'd just colluded to throw the race, particularly after he only decided to compete on the Saturday morning.

When I saw the result via Twitter I did wonder if team orders had taken a hand ala Ferrari  ::-) but glad that is not the case.
JT are you planning on going to the Tour to keep us updated on the inside track?
Your quote the other day re: Cav - your reliable source is not mentioned upthread is it?  ;D

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2011, 07:43:00 pm »

When I saw the result via Twitter I did wonder if team orders had taken a hand ala Ferrari  ::-) but glad that is not the case.
JT are you planning on going to the Tour to keep us updated on the inside track?
Your quote the other day re: Cav - your reliable source is not mentioned upthread is it?  ;D

No it wasn't Peta Todd. More reliable than that.  ::-)  O:-)

If there were going to be any team orders it would have been for someone other than Brad: Geraint Thomas or Ben Swift. After all Brad is expecting those two guys to work for him for three weeks and Brad is already the British TT champion.

I am going to the Tour but only for the first three stages. We don't think it's fair to subject the (new) dog to a week of standing around for hours on end in the heat.

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2011, 07:44:40 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »
This makes it sound like a fair fight.

A disappointed Kennaugh, who opened the hostilities on the final lap said: “He (David Brailsford) called us back to the car gave us a bottle and said may the best man win. I’ll win it one day hopefully.”

Thomas said: “I just tried to gamble a bit because I knew Pete really wanted it. When Brad went, he gapped me and I just hoped Pete would close it for me, but Brad’s Brad. You give him 20 metres and it’s hard to close.”

British Road Championships: Men's Elite National Championships, Route Maps & Results | Cyclingnews.com