Author Topic: Discounts for arriving by bike  (Read 2824 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Discounts for arriving by bike
« on: 15 January, 2020, 05:41:42 pm »
https://www.goodjourney.org.uk

A website that allows you to plan all sorts of car-free journeys to a variety of sites and attractions, and tells you of discounts you can get for arriving by bike (or foot, train, bus).

Example:
National Botanic Garden of Wales
Carmarthenshire
An amazing collection of more than 8,000 plant varieties, set in beautiful Welsh countryside, including the iconic Great Glasshouse

Car-free offer: 50% off by train, bus or bike (based on full adult price)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

Re: Discounts for arriving by bike
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2020, 06:13:02 pm »
The problem is catching those who drive to the attraction then claim they didn’t.  You could have some kind of app on a smartphone that tracks movement and it is shown to the ticket person before deciding the price. Good idea mind, they just need to implement it well.

I do wish they’d charge at least £1,000 a year for parking in company car parks. That might change a few behaviours.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2020, 06:22:37 pm »
Presumably you prove you've arrived by bus or train by showing tickets and by bike you'll have your bike as proof. Not sure about walking or how they sort out people who've ridden the whole way from those who've parked a car round the corner and taken bikes out the boot, but that's their problem, you'll get the discount. Presumably.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2020, 06:52:20 pm »
On the other hand, I've asked it to plan me a car-free (not specifically bike) journey from Bristol to Tan Hill and it's telling me it doesn't know how. Maybe there is no public transport there and it's beyond what it considers a reasonable walking or cycling distance from any public transport.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »
On the other hand, I've asked it to plan me a car-free (not specifically bike) journey from Bristol to Tan Hill and it's telling me it doesn't know how. Maybe there is no public transport there and it's beyond what it considers a reasonable walking or cycling distance from any public transport.

To be fair, that's the whole point in Tan Hill.

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2020, 06:58:17 pm »
The problem is catching those who drive to the attraction then claim they didn’t.
When MrsC and I went to the Eden project (admittedly this was back in 2003) I walked up to the desk and when asked "Two adults?" just replied "Two cyclists" and I got the discount. The bike sheds and lockers are not particularly close to the entrance. I suppose she could have asked to see the locker key, but there was no check.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2020, 06:59:58 pm »
Absolutely. And it doesn't pretend to be a website for rufty tufty cycle forumites, it's for normal humans. And it came up with a journey to Alice Holt forest, in Hampshire (happened to be highlighted on the page) very quickly, involving train options and a 14-minute walk at the end.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2020, 07:00:24 pm »

A website that allows you to plan all sorts of car-free journeys to a variety of sites and attractions, and tells you of discounts you can get for arriving by bike (or foot, train, bus).

Example:
Carmarthenshire
An amazing collection of more than 8,000 plant varieties, set in beautiful Welsh countryside, including the iconic Great Glasshouse

I'd larf if you cycled there this month and demanded half price entry.  What's half of free?
It's free entry on weekdays this month.  :D

Anyway, how could you get there by train ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2020, 07:06:11 pm »
Anyway, how could you get there by train ???
Depends where you start from. They assume a gathering point of Swansea:
From Swansea

There are direct trains to Swansea from Cardiff, Bristol and beyond.

Train times and prices
From Swansea station it's a two-minute walk to the bus stop on the High Street - see map.

Open map
Bus T1S runs direct from Swansea rail station to the Garden, Monday to Saturday at 1220, taking about 40 minutes. The bus back leaves at 1627.

Bus times from:
Swansea Station (High Street)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2020, 07:07:55 pm »
That's a great place - I'm not usually into gardens but I loved it. Pleasantly low-key and very few Welsh.

Really nice walks round the outside too. Tidy!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2020, 07:15:49 pm »
very few Welsh.
[...]
Tidy!

;D

However, I do agree it's a great visit.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2020, 08:17:36 pm »
It's funny I was pondering this today. Two of my favourite campsites offer discount if you arrive by bike or train. One I think offers a collection from the station

However I can't yet make the logistics work of two young ish kids, a wife who cycles round town but not much further and all our camping gear work yet.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2020, 10:01:23 pm »
I saw that National Trust are looking at ways of giving visitors a discount on the entrance fee to their attractions, if you arrive by public transport or bike.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2020, 10:09:48 pm »
I saw that National Trust are looking at ways of giving visitors a discount on the entrance fee to their attractions, if you arrive by public transport or bike.
It would be useful if they did – their properties tend to be so much more expensive than English Heritage (or whatever they're called this month).

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2020, 11:19:58 pm »
We got a free cup of tea or coffee at Uppark (National Trust) for arriving by bike a couple of years ago - as we parked our bikes near the entrance I think they proffered some sort of voucher.

« Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2020, 11:38:58 pm »
The Giant’s Causeway has a green traveller discount ticket. Upon trying to purchase it the guy at the counter let me know that the entrance fee was really just a fee for the car parking / missable visitor centre and the causeway itself is free.

The biggest obstacle to visiting a lot of places by bike, especially while touring, is having nowhere safe to put your bags. The Eden Project is the only place I know that has very prominent and numerous lockers for exactly this purpose.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2020, 02:58:08 pm »
The biggest obstacle to visiting a lot of places by bike, especially while touring, is having nowhere safe to put your bags.

So true.  Even if your stuff isn't particularly valuable, it'll ruin your tour if someone nicks it.

[Insert grumble about being directed to lock the bike to wheelbenders overlooked by "Don't leave valuables on display in your car" signs rather than being allowed to wheel your bike down a path to take a quick look at some outdoor attraction.]

That said, having come an impressive way by bike, especially in solo camping mode, can unlock extra helpfulness.  I've had a couple of occasions where people have realised the problem and invited me to park the bike in a staff-only area.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 18 January, 2020, 12:15:45 pm »

Example:
Carmarthenshire

Been there.  It's good.  They're on a pretty safe bet though, because it's off a fast A road in the middle of nowhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #18 on: 18 January, 2020, 12:55:36 pm »
I got a discount at the cycle museum next to the Madonna del Ghisallo. The church itself has some bikes, I think the museum was initially built to house all the donations which wouldn't fit in the church. It's a big climb whichever direction you come from, but worth it. When I came out of the museum there was a small crowd round my fully-laden bike, as if it was an exhibit. Most of the cyclists on the climb wouldn't be seen dead with so much as a spare inner tube, never mind front and rear paniers and a bar bag.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2020, 10:11:45 pm »
I plan to do this in June, like you I will be earning the discount!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #20 on: 29 January, 2020, 10:38:32 pm »
The biggest obstacle to visiting a lot of places by bike, especially while touring, is having nowhere safe to put your bags. The Eden Project is the only place I know that has very prominent and numerous lockers for exactly this purpose.
The WWT centre at Barnes had (and I think still does have) some good cage type bike parking where you can leave your bike (up to 2 per cage I seem to remember ) plus any bags and secure the cage with your D lock. That seems like a good way to handle the sort of luggage you might have on a touring holiday.

We have had some very helpful experiences at National Trust properties when asking to leave bikes and bags - usually at least they have been happy to keep bags behind reception, but great service at Moseley Old Hall where bikes with panniers still attached where whisked off to a locked shed by a very helpful volunteer.

Our worst experience was a few years back at Alnwick gardens, not actually when cycling but on a walking/bus travel holiday (due to a broken wrist) - which presents similar challenges for luggage as we didn't want to lug large rucksacks around the gardens. Early negotiations to leave the bags were scuppered by a rather zealous supervisor who told us it was not possible (probably health and safety or maybe security concerns) so we got our admission refunded and left without visiting. A letter of complaint though was answered promptly and helpfully with an offer of a free visit in future and an assurance that they understood the issue and would put in place a solution. Unfortunately of course we did not visit the area again so couldn't check whether they had sorted it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #21 on: 29 January, 2020, 10:45:27 pm »
Used to get a free ride on the Cairngorm funicular if you arrived there be bike. It is a nice wee hill to cycle up...
Not sure if that was still available with the various changes in operator. And the funicular is now broken anyway.