3 (50%)
Another 3 Coasts 600
1 (16.7%)
The East & West Coasts 600
1 (16.7%)
The Border Raid
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Coasts 600 vs Border Raid 600?  (Read 2095 times)

Coasts 600 vs Border Raid 600?
« on: 24 May, 2010, 11:44:37 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking at doing one of the above 600's in about a month's time. It's about the same amount of hassle travel-wise, and although the weekend of the Border Raid suits me best, I'd be willing to re-arrange my calendar to get to the others.

This being so, which is likely to be the easiest 600 for a first-timer? After a bit of a sluggish first half of the year (I think I've only managed 3x 200s!) I'm not coming from a particularly awesome level of fitness so would like to have every advantage.

I'd be very grateful for any opinions! I'd really like to do a 600 this year to see whether I'd be even vaguely interested in PBP next, and these two are the only calendar options I can realistically make.

cheers,

D.

simonp

Re: Coasts 600 vs Border Raid 600?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »
I can't say anything about the Three Coasts, so I haven't voted.

I have completed the Border Raid 600 once, and packed it once.  The route changed between the two but that wasn't the reason for packing.  The weather was, combined with hanging around too much on the first day, meaning not much sleep or time in hand when the weather turned really nasty.  (Driving rain, and 65mph gusts of headwind).

It's a nice route (or the 450km or so I did was, anyway).  It's much less hilly than the likes of the Bryan Chapman, without involving tedious mile after mile of pan flat terrain, which gets old very quickly.  The old version of the route, which is similar terrain wise, was the first 600 I completed.

Although it's X-rated, there are opportunities to get a sleep stop at motorway services on the M74 (Annandale Water, iirc), at around 350km, or a bit later at Carlisle, if you think you want that.

The route sheet uses symbols rather than the traditional L @ T etc.  Personally I don't like this, I find the symbols much harder to interpret.  I've transcribed it to gpx if that would be helpful to anyone.

I have been thinking about entering it again this year.

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:03:02 pm »
Thanks - the Border Raid does appeal because I'm familiar with the terrain from Longtown & back again, so might be nice to mix some new stuff at beginning and end with home turf.

On the other hand, the route passes within 20 miles of home and, if I was feeling like packing it in, it would take serious willpower to ride another 250-300km *away* again...

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:32:49 pm »
For your first 600 I'd recommend one of the Three Coasts rides. I have done The Border Raid and The Three Coasts and both parts of The Other Three Coasts. The Three Coasts was my first 600 and I've done it two or three times now. The East and West Coast is apparantly the easier option, I haven't seen a route sheet for it but I've been told it's less hilly spending more time on the flat.

The Three Coasts all come back to base after about 385km, so you have a bag drop, you do not have this on The Border Raid. You may sleep there if you park a tent there I believe, the organiser told me this but it's worth double checking, space will not be limitless. It's not a difficult route, a bit hilly in the second half but less so than The Border Raid IMO. Stats might prove me wrong.

I shall be doing The Three Coasts again this year. We have a thread for it Three Coasts 600s, June 26th

Madcow

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2010, 03:52:45 pm »
Anybody got a route sheet for Border raid or list of places visited please.

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »
Anybody got a route sheet for Border raid or list of places visited please.

It's changed since 2008 I believe but back then it was:-

Aldbrough St John, Barnard Castle, Alston, Brampton, Canonbie, Newcastleton, Jedburgh, Kelso, Galashiels, Peebles, Moffat, Lockerbie, Longtown, Carlisle, Penrith, Sedburgh, Askrigg, Leyburn, Ripon, Leeming, Aldbrough St John

Bicycle Path - Border Raid 600 at Bikely.com
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
Are you sure it's a calendar event you want to do? Several regular Scottish audaxers did the Twilight as their first 600. It starts/finished in South Queensferry and although it's a perm there is an excellent bunkhouse positioned exactly where you'd want it for a good few hours sleep on Saturday night/Sunday morning. In previous years a post on here has brought together a few riders to do it together.

I take it the date of "Only for Softies" doesn't suit you, as it sounds like it fit the bill perfectly.

PS - My first 600 was in 2007 and I did PBP the same year. So still plenty time to make your mind up about that.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2010, 07:32:35 pm »
Greenbanks route sounds the same as the 2009 route. In 2007 it started north of Newcastle - Upon - Tyne and headed south first I believe.

Madcow, do The Three Coasts and I'll enjoy your company again

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2010, 11:35:28 pm »
Are you sure it's a calendar event you want to do? Several regular Scottish audaxers did the Twilight as their first 600. It starts/finished in South Queensferry and although it's a perm there is an excellent bunkhouse positioned exactly where you'd want it for a good few hours sleep on Saturday night/Sunday morning. In previous years a post on here has brought together a few riders to do it together.

I take it the date of "Only for Softies" doesn't suit you, as it sounds like it fit the bill perfectly.

PS - My first 600 was in 2007 and I did PBP the same year. So still plenty time to make your mind up about that.

Frustratingly, some friends decided to get married right across that weekend - in Devon!  >:(

I think I'd quite like a calendar for a first shot, but otherwise, maybe I'll come looking for perm riders later this summer..

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:03:15 am »
The Border Raid is brilliant.  It was my first 600, and I was bouncing off the ceilings at the end of it.  I don't think it's that hard a ride, obviously the Borders and twice across the Pennines means it isn't flat, but Nigel has a knack for picking routes which are interesting without being murderously hilly.  I dunno if I can ride it this year, but I hope to manage it.  

Among the highlights was the limp up to Scott's View - "worth seeing, but not worth going to see".  

Also, going across the back of Kielder Forest to Newcastleton.  Asking a random drunkard in Galashiels how to pronounce "Traquair" and how to get there.  Devil's Beeftub in darkness.  The beginning was unbelievably wet, but I've never failed to get wet riding Yad Moss (well, nearly "never"), and the horrible start, with riders peeling off to return to base, made the sense of achievement that little bit greater.

Having said that, I'm riding the 3 Coasts as I might not get to ride the Border Raid this year.

Why not ride both ? ;)

Madcow

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2010, 02:53:44 pm »
Thanks for your kind offer Mr N. Both are tempting rides but BR appeals for several reasons.Easy access to start, less climbing , quieter roads. I am fully aware of how bleak the Mares tail road can be in the wet/dark.
I have done Spurn head so know what its like but that long climb after Hollingworth lake looks daunting at the end of the 3C.
I need to start negotiating a weekend out before any decision can be made.

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:20:30 pm »
Thanks for your kind offer Mr N. Both are tempting rides but BR appeals for several reasons.Easy access to start, less climbing , quieter roads. I am fully aware of how bleak the Mares tail road can be in the wet/dark.
I have done Spurn head so know what its like but that long climb after Hollingworth lake looks daunting at the end of the 3C.
I need to start negotiating a weekend out before any decision can be made.

The classic Three Coasts doesn't go to Spurn Head and The East and West Coast doesn't climb to Blackstone Edge either. With the Sowerby Bridge start and finish we'll not have a downhill finish either. I suspect we'll go up Scout Road from Mytholmroyd - maybe not.