Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628128 times)

Chris S

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4350 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:02:18 pm »
Interim advice is 'pee through a tea strainer and see if you can catch one'

If ever we meet and you offer me a beverage - I'll have a coffee :).

« Reply #4351 on: 14 January, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »
Uncomfortable?  You must have a higher pain threshold than me.

Left me on the floor unable to do anything. Never actually noticed passing a stone, but several times have peed what looked like straight pure blood, dark red and starting to clot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4352 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »
That was then.
It sure as hell wasn't in A&E at 4am this morning ... I feel like I've passed Gibraltar through my pee-hole. Complete with monkeys.

(Visit to GP tomorrow, looking at ultrasound followed by ESWL as the stones are evidently uric acid-based)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4353 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:11:16 pm »
In addition, "pee through a tea strainer" is probably the best bit of medical advice I've had. Ever.

I now feel the need to purchase a lightweight racing titanium or carbon-fibre tea strainer ...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4354 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
Ouch!  Flashbacks!

Hope it subsides.  Mine just went eventually.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4355 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:46:43 pm »
but several times have peed what looked like straight pure blood, dark red and starting to clot.

It's when you pee blood like that, stop peeing, and the blood keeps coming that's really unnerving.

Fortunately I was in a hospital at the time.  The nurse acted quickly and ran to get ...some tesco value jumbo-sized sanitary towels, and a mop.  "Well, that's okay then.   ???" I thought.  (The floor was unharmed and the bleeding did stop after a while.)

« Reply #4356 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:52:02 pm »
That was then.
It sure as hell wasn't in A&E at 4am this morning ... I feel like I've passed Gibraltar through my pee-hole. Complete with monkeys.

(Visit to GP tomorrow, looking at ultrasound followed by ESWL as the stones are evidently uric acid-based)

"Lots of liquids, take paracetomol and ibuprofen." 
Standard advice. They missed off "Try not to scream through gritted teeth. Take care on stairs as you may feel dizzy or keel over. You will feel the need to pee constantly. Being kicked in the balls will at times seem to be a preferable experience."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4357 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »
That was then.

I had to visit an A&E in China when I had a kidney stone. The symptoms rendered me pretty much helpless, not aided by the Chinese doctor's empathetic diagnostic technique of a light sucker punch to my right lower back! Twelve hours of a strong saline drip and frequent visits to the toilet sorted it, but it was probably the worst night of my life.

Chris S

« Reply #4358 on: 14 January, 2014, 03:08:31 pm »
Worst night of your life, so far.

</homer simpson>

;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4359 on: 14 January, 2014, 03:57:03 pm »
On One seem to have a policy of annoying me.

They have just released a new CX bike, the PickenFlick.

It's Ti
It looks lovely
It's a decent price for a full bike.

Against:
The rear brake caliper is on the seat stay
No mudguard or rack eyes
I iz skint...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4360 on: 14 January, 2014, 04:41:16 pm »
Our cat had kidney stones.  It was heart breaking to see him in such pain, so we had him put down*.  Not that I'm saying Interzen should be put down!  :)  Human's have the advantage of knowing what the pain is.  Pain of the unknown is the worst kind of pain, innit?

(* Decades a ago.  I guess modern vet treatment might make this unnecessary these days).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4361 on: 14 January, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »

</homer simpson>

;)

Indeed. And thank you for reminding me, Chris. Mustn't let morale get too high now, must we? ;D

Chris S

« Reply #4362 on: 14 January, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »

</homer simpson>

;)

Indeed. And thank you for reminding me, Chris. Mustn't let morale get too high now, must we? ;D

Never mind - you could be back the simulator tonight. Oh wait... ;)

« Reply #4363 on: 14 January, 2014, 11:02:21 pm »
On One seem to have a policy of annoying me.

They have just released a new CX bike, the PickenFlick.

It's Ti
It looks lovely
It's a decent price for a full bike.

Against:
The rear brake caliper is on the seat stay
No mudguard or rack eyes
I iz skint...

I saw the e-mail earlier and I thought of you  ;D

I've also got the same reservations about the bike.
Why there are no mudguard or rack eyes I can't imagine; they'd only add a few grammes but would increase its appeal markedly.

« Reply #4364 on: 15 January, 2014, 10:18:33 am »
Too much pain to rant ....

SouthWestBloodyTrains please learn how to operate your railway. If there is one service in the morning out of London that Should not be only 4 Cars instead of the normal 8 it is the one that leaves Waterloo for Reading at 7:20. This train is the principle train for getting a significant number of pupils to at least three schools.

We had 5 bikes in vestibule in a standing room only train. I had to get off at a couple of stops to allow others to exit the train. Further I was unable sensibly park my mobility vehicle (bike) TM Kim and had to stand the whole way despite using a walking stick as I boarded the train. Seeing how I have been close to maxing out my Co-codamol intake for the last week anyway I have no head room for the consequences of this mornings commute.

:'(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4365 on: 15 January, 2014, 03:04:20 pm »
my mobility vehicle (bike) TM Kim

If you're playing that game, the magic words are "class 1 invalid carriage", assuming that the bike has been adapted (you've fitted something to hold walking sticks, right?) for use as a mobility aid by a disabled (your condition has or is likely to last more than 12 months) person .  At that point it should have the same legal status as a manual wheelchair, which means you're allowed to ride it on the pavement etc, but doesn't give you any special rights in terms of rail travel, where it will fall foul of their dimensional requirements for both wheelchairs and luggage, which means it's only getting on as a bicycle.

« Reply #4366 on: 15 January, 2014, 03:31:31 pm »
All joking aside, unfortunately the walking stick straps to the top tube with no adaptation. Further the injury, whilst lasting for 10 years, has not been that much of a disabling constraint until recently and hopefully will be less of a constraint once I recover from the op at the end of this month.

It was more the frustration at not being able to park the bike and sit down simply because thay had only provided half a train for the busiest service of the morning in that dirrection. The reason being that by the time that train returns into London it is after the morning rush where as by running it at an earlier (less busy) time out of London it would catch a peak for the return journey.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4367 on: 15 January, 2014, 09:00:09 pm »
[lets out a deep breath] Tries to make a long story short...

Previous owner passed my name over to SSE  when we moved in back in June. Peli called them the very next day and told them that we have moved in. They couldn't let Peli do the paperwork because it was in my name but could cancel my name/account and set up an account in her name.

X months down the line, we get a bill for non paid gas in my name. Peli called up and found out that they have taken the money that we paid them but haven't added it to any account at all. We then moved to N-power which did do a great job, some delay from SSE, but we managed to change over.

We just got the finial bill, to whom we never paid anything under that name, from SSE : I'm in credit to the tune of £0.06 ... eh?

This faffing about, us calling up chatting to their staff and sending the letters out must have costs a fair bit, and now they credit me, ok only 6p, no wonder the power companies put put their prices.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4368 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:30:09 am »
Eventful journey into work this morning.  I just missed my planned train to Sutton to change.  Rather than wait for the next one and be late, I decided to cross the station and get a train to London Bridge, and then rush to work from there.  At West Croydon, with no warning, twelve carriages full of passengers were turfed off, with no trains heading into London. :(

I waited for a train back towards Sutton, and got the train an hour later than the one I'd intended to Elephant.  Two hours travelling on London's lovely networks. :(

Here's something that will solve the problem:

Southern Railway

A broken down train was causing disruption between Sydenham and London Bridge. This has now been resolved and trains are able to run as normal - journeys between Sydenham and London Bridge may still be delayed by up to 50 minutes while services recover.

Because of the knock-on impact this disruption is having, buses are replacing trains between Crowborough and Uckfield.

For those not familiar with the area, Uckfield is the last stop on the line, in deepest Sussex, and Crowborough (actually Jarvis Brook) station is the next one along.  Trains are roughly hourly down there.  Both are a long way from Sydenham.

Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4369 on: 16 January, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »
I appear to have snot again with resultant dizziness from hell.  Going to the shop was hideous, cos Ican't process people moving around me properly :(  I was supposed to be on picket lines and at our strike rally today (I'm on strike today) but I'm too ill to go.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4370 on: 16 January, 2014, 02:13:54 pm »
I appear to have snot again with resultant dizziness from hell.  Going to the shop was hideous, cos Ican't process people moving around me properly :(  I was supposed to be on picket lines and at our strike rally today (I'm on strike today) but I'm too ill to go.

Are I wondered what was going on at South Gate this morning.  I didn't have time to look properly as my lights turned to green just as I arrived at them and I was busy negotiating with a driver who didn't bother to indicate right until that moment.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4371 on: 16 January, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »
This morning I sneezed and something in my neck went crunch (a bit higher up than last time this happened).  My fault for too much reading in bed, I expect.  I've eaten all the painkillers and am doing daft-looking exercises recommended by cycleman OTP to prevent the tension from spreading to my shoulders.

So I'm a bit stoned and not allowed to do anything that involves heavy lifting, sharp objects or root passwords.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4372 on: 18 January, 2014, 12:14:45 am »
Lighting has just started flickering and my boiler has just started turning on and off (with the dips in the lighting) - looks like a powercut could be happening pretty soon.

I suppose it's a reminder to look into UPSs which I keep putting off.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4373 on: 18 January, 2014, 12:55:24 pm »
Dear Mr Dyson, I think it's time you turned your design skills to making decent ceiling lights, being as that appears to be something rather lacking at the moment.
You know, something that you don't have to super glue your fingers to the bulb to change it, or have to take the whole damn thing out of the ceiling.
Yours in teeth clenching anticipation....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4374 on: 18 January, 2014, 01:44:24 pm »
A Dyson ceiling light?

Would have clever light-pipes and conical reflectors and things, providing an awesomely even distribution of not especially bright light around the room, and changing the bulb would involve removing 15 layers of brittle plastic and associated self-untapping screws.