Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3816357 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #150 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:15:30 pm »
Dire. Absolute s***e.

Off for the evening club run. It rained.
I felt like crap. Went off anyway.

Met everyone else at various points coming back in cos they all went out earlier.

Went out with the wind. Slowly. Felt very wek- no energy.

Coming back was dire. Took me 1 hour 30 to do what is usually done in 1hr5.

Crawled home just wishing it would end. Hot bath and cup of tea.

It makes you appreciate the good days more. But at least I did a Goya.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #151 on: 16 April, 2008, 06:42:47 pm »
I went out on the fixie.  Up to Clapham.  Well, once i'd managed to get up Balham Hill, I thought I'd keep going.  I ended up on the South Bank, where I met Butterfly and a few others for lunch, then cruised up to Covent Garden before returning to the Hayward Gallery, and a ride home, including the mighty ascent of Cedars Road (one of my personal betes noirs). :)

Home via the supermarket.  Nice afternoon out.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #152 on: 17 April, 2008, 08:22:13 am »
Better, but still didn't feel great. Local evening 10, first of the year. Cold. Felt crap. Posted a better time than expected (still very slow though).

ache like crazy now.

..d

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #153 on: 17 April, 2008, 09:42:14 am »
Cycled to my 8.30 rheumatology appointment. Was home by 8.50.  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #154 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:04:59 am »
I cycled to work and back and on the way stopped at the supermarket to buy ingredients for cake for the FNRttC.

For the first time EVER, I left the lights on my bike by mistake! Now they're not that fancy but it's still £35 quid's worth of lights for some toerag to nick. Thankfully in the 20 mins I was in there no toerags must have passed by as they were still there. Otherwise they would have been expensive cakes.

David Martin

« Reply #155 on: 17 April, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »
I cycled to work and back and on the way stopped at the supermarket to buy ingredients for cake for the FNRttC.

For the first time EVER, I left the lights on my bike by mistake! Now they're not that fancy but it's still £35 quid's worth of lights for some toerag to nick. Thankfully in the 20 mins I was in there no toerags must have passed by as they were still there. Otherwise they would have been expensive cakes.

I have to be careful with mine. They are very small, and very expensive, easy to remove and pocket.

..d

« Reply #156 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »
Just done a 20 mile circuit along the Fallowfield loop then along the canal around Sportcity and into MCR town centre. I hadn't been along most of this route before and I was pleased to see some of the legacy infrastructure from the Commonwealth Games- the canal towpaths are really well done.
After tea in the Palace Hotel we pootled back to Chorlton and I carried on down to Snow and Rock to look at their new bike shop. Then back on the TPT to Chorlton again.
Nice weather too.

steveB

« Reply #157 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:54:39 pm »
A twenty three mile loop, gawd it was windy.  I haven't cycled for about a week, managed an average of just over 13 mph.

bobmick

« Reply #158 on: 17 April, 2008, 03:03:30 pm »
No cycling for me today  :(  Can't hold bars comfortably (see here) and my arm is feckin killing me now.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #159 on: 17 April, 2008, 03:25:32 pm »
A 20 mile off-road pootle on the mtb as I couldn't face struggling with the wind on the road. Lovely and sunny but a bit nippy!!

When is it going to warm up??  >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #160 on: 17 April, 2008, 06:27:17 pm »
About 30 miles just trolling around the city on various errands. zooming round the backstreets and then mixing it up with the traffic on the Elephant. Lovely day and really enjoyed it. Bit worried about the FNRttC as I headed back through Burgess Park where there was enough space around for the easterly headwind to get enough force going to make me push a bit even on the flat. I had been planning to take this bike (my little old Holdsworth which now has only one gear) to Southend but methinks I will want gears if the headwind stays around.
   Jane

« Reply #161 on: 17 April, 2008, 06:57:13 pm »
gawd it was windy. 

20 km commute home from SW Bristol to NE Bristol into a strong easterly wind was hard work  :-\

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #162 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:28:39 pm »
Two miles to my rheumatology appointment and then another 5 or so commuting. Unusually, I rode up the hill going west about 5mph faster than I came down it on the way home. 'Orrible east wind!

Edit: bugger! Already mentioned the rheumatology appointment. Did I mention the alzheimer's one as well?  ???

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #163 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:04:28 pm »
Club training ride of 20 miles yesterday evening, glorious sunshine, first ride of the year in shorts and now that I am no longer registered with ACF I got to ride in my new ACF jersey for the first time.

Got word that the Hebridean CC kit is on its way next week

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #164 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:28:38 am »
It's bloody horrible out there today!  I don't think I'll be going much further than the local pub for a lunchtime beer with Nutty!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #165 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:43:03 am »
Struggled to keep control of the bike last night on the hill from Penarth Esplanade. The wind was blowing from the right and bouncing back from the high walls creating lots of turbulence.

Sea breaking over the seawall by the pier. Spray everywhere. It was so much fun I cycled the very hilly loop three times ;D

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #166 on: 19 April, 2008, 06:17:48 pm »
A very cold 25 miles from Ripon towards Pateley Bridge. We had a very acceptable pub lunch at the Henry Jenkins in Kirkby Malzeal. HJ was renowned apparently as the oldest man who ever lived. He allegedly reached 169 years some time in the 16th century. Wearing my Wowbagger hat, I mocked his puny achievements.

We were running short of time so we didn't make it to Pateley Bridge, sadly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #167 on: 19 April, 2008, 06:20:20 pm »
Good riding (in good weather).  Shame you didn't make it all the way to Pateley, but glad you enjoyed it anyway. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #168 on: 19 April, 2008, 07:21:38 pm »
Nope. Today has consisted of recovering from skiing by lying on the sofa like Lady Muck, reading, drinking tea, and posting on Yacf.  :)

Maladict

« Reply #169 on: 20 April, 2008, 12:00:12 am »
Ex-colleague's birthday do in town.  Given I DNSd today's DIY 200k I felt really bad at the thought of driving in so I detached the Galaxy from the trailer, found the Solidlight and pumped the tyres up, and off I went.  Had a nice evening catching up with lots of people I've not seen in ages.  One managed to make me spray my drink all over the table with his innuendo as well.  The bar we were in used to be a gay/Elvis bar, but is now a trendy place with really nice food.  I even had alcohol (3xPeroni).  16km round trip.

« Reply #170 on: 20 April, 2008, 08:32:58 am »
200km BRB in Tournai yesterday. It felt good to ride again with the guys I've spent many miles with. Lovely ride into northern France, surprisingly hilly at the far end. As usual it rained and the wind blew in the wrong direction. But that couldn't spoil my enjoyment, especially as it was my first event after my injury.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #171 on: 20 April, 2008, 11:11:20 am »
Down to Box Hill and back, a pleasant change from laps of Richmond Park, 42 miles in all

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #172 on: 20 April, 2008, 11:38:26 am »
Couple of miles to the station through the fog.
Few more miles to work.

Same the other way to come later.

« Reply #173 on: 20 April, 2008, 02:05:55 pm »
Some 40 Mi with Julian; we did okay, but I have the feeling HE could have gone a lot faster.  :-[ Glad to be on the bike out again though, and in good company, even if the weather on the way back was miserable again.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #174 on: 20 April, 2008, 02:55:42 pm »
As I didn't bring the bike to Annie's, on account of all the forecast rain yesterday, it was another walk with her dogs instead.
Ah well, there's always tomorrow after work!
Abnormal for Norfolk