Author Topic: "MTB" gearing on a Genesis Equilibrium, anything to watch out for?  (Read 2749 times)

I'm thinking of swapping out the Ultegra compact double road group set on my Equilibrium disc. For various reasons I want to go to lower gearing, and was thinking of using bar end shifters (Microshift MTB 10sp compatible) and fitting a triple chainset - say 28/38/48 or smaller - and a Deore or SLX 10sp rear mech with something like a 12-32 cassette. Bike has the standard outboard bearing threaded bb. Braking is Hy/Rd discs. Rear dropouts are 135mm. What pitfalls might I face?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: "MTB" gearing on a Genesis Equilibrium, anything to watch out for?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2016, 07:45:38 pm »
I'm thinking of swapping out the Ultegra compact double road group set on my Equilibrium disc. For various reasons I want to go to lower gearing, and was thinking of using bar end shifters (Microshift MTB 10sp compatible) and fitting a triple chainset - say 28/38/48 or smaller - and a Deore or SLX 10sp rear mech with something like a 12-32 cassette. Bike has the standard outboard bearing threaded bb. Braking is Hy/Rd discs. Rear dropouts are 135mm. What pitfalls might I face?

Compatibility. Beware of 10 speed derailleurs bearing the legend DynaSys. Different cable pull from old S's MTB. Different from Campag. Different from SRAM. Won't work with your chosen shifters.

Front derailleur will need to be triple specific. Use Ultegra 6700/105 5700/Tiagra 4600 or a non DynaSys MTB triple. The latest groups either don't have a triple option and/or use the 11 speed cable pull ratio so your front shifter won't have enough travel to change across the three rings.

Beyond that, patience and perseverence will get you an acceptable gear change.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »
Ta.  Front shifting is friction only so cable pull not (hopefully) an issue, and yes, I'll need a triple specific one, again probably a 10sp Deore level.

Edit:  Thought of another potential issue - I'll need a bottom pull front mech.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2016, 09:21:36 pm »
Most if not all of the MTB triple front mechs have dual cable attachment. Not an issue.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2016, 09:56:53 pm »
Thanks agin. And a bit of digging has confirmed the Microshift BS-M10 rear shifter is Dynasys compatible.  All I need now is to find one in the UK  :)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2016, 10:48:40 pm »
May one suggest the R10 system from MicroShift? Front STi working a triple, rear capacity up to 34 teeth...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2016, 10:41:01 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, but the intention is to move away from "brifters" to simpler technologies.

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:19:22 pm »
However...  these MTB mech compatible ones are like rocking horse poo!  I've spoken to one shop that said the pair they sold were off a complete build, but they're checking to see if they can get any more. I've also emailed the distributor for Microshift (Moore & Large) to see if they can help re stockists.  So, what's the largest capacity 10sp "road" rear mech from Shimano, in case I have to use road mech compatible shifters?   :-\  Oh - that'll work in a 3 x 10 drivetrain....

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:27:54 pm »
Shimano 9 speed MTB rear derailleurs work perfectly with 10 speed road shifters and cassettes.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:37:50 pm »
On the BQ site they mentioned that a cx70 front derailleur may work with a triple so that maybe an option as well.

« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:40:12 pm »
Thanks Chris,  I was googling and saw that implied somewhere - so the 10sp road cable pull will shift the 9sp mech across the 10sp cassette I presume? Which may well be why no-one bothers with the 10sp compatible MTB shifters.

« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:42:11 pm »
On the BQ site they mentioned that a cx70 front derailleur may work with a triple so that maybe an option as well.

Front's less of an issue Sam, as it's friction shift anyway, I just need to get the capacity / ring size right.  I don't mind friction front shifts, but I'd like indexed rear shifting if possible (getting lazy!)

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:45:20 pm »
Thanks Chris,  I was googling and saw that implied somewhere - so the 10sp road cable pull will shift the 9sp mech across the 10sp cassette I presume? Which may well be why no-one bothers with the 10sp compatible MTB shifters.

Yep.

A 10-speed MTB compatible bar end shifter would allow a Shimano clutch rear mech (Zee, for example) on a 1x10 drop bar setup. :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:51:23 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »
RE: rocking horse poo...

Microshift also do an 8 speed bar end shifter for Alfine (at much reduced cost compared to the JTek equivalent), which I saw listed on their TW site, but nobody seems to stock or sell in the UK.

I managed to get one though after talking directly to Microshift TW, who put me onto the UK distributor (MooreLarge), who then suggested one of their clients for me to speak to, I ordered one via email and it was delivered within a few days.

Anyone who deals with ML should be able to help but most shops I tried just made confused noises or said it wasn't something they stocked.

Hopefully you'll be able to get hold of what you need!

« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2016, 03:25:50 pm »
Thanks, I did contact MooreLarge yesterday and got a fast initial response, offering to put me in touch with nearesr retail outlet - so I said yes please, but so far no further response. I'll chase them up tomorrow.

My research had lked to a right ragbag of bits for the build - Stronglight chainset with a 26 (or maybe 28) /36 (or maybe 38)/46 (or maybe 48) set-up, Ultegra road front mech (specs give 22T range), and a Deore or  XT 10sp rear mech (45T total capacity, allowing an 11-34 cassette), and of course the aformentioned 10sp barcons if they can be found.  If they can't then plan B will be 10sp road barcons and a 9sp rear mech to suit, though I haven't checked capacities of those yet, as I'm still hoping fopr the all 10sp route. if it does then I'll buy two sets, and a couple of rear mechs too!