Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2171272 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13975 on: 25 July, 2019, 06:56:57 am »

Cute.  I've got a little widget in my toolbar that inhibits sleep.  Main issue is forgetting you've enabled it, but that would go for a dongle too.

As it's sitting there all shiny it's less likely for me; main issue for me is it's something physical to carry/lose. But is was fun to play with.

One thing I've thought would be cute would be to implement a Synergy server on some sort of WiFi-enabled small micro that can do the HID thing.  You could then use it to control Androids and employer's laptops with oppressive security models etc.

The biggest talked about use for these devices is as a hacking tool; you can program them with a load of readily available scripts that will do things like automatically open a web browser and go to a certain page then download stuff from it, or bring up a shell and do stuff in there - just simulating a keyboard then sending keypresses. John Deere (the tractor people) got some stick about that recently in security forums because they distributed these as a promotional thing, and when people plugged this freebie USB thing into their machines thinking it was a memory stick, it took them straight to the John Deere website.

I've got a beetle board variant that I'm playing with  (slightly bigger, with GPIO brought out to pins) to use as the basis of a chorded keyboard for when I'm having RSI issues. There is also a bluetooth variant with libraries that would allow it to work as a wireless keyboard. It really is amazing the quality of the building blocks available nowadays to get this stuff up and running in a couple of hours. Back in my day you'd be soldering the micro onto a bit of breadboard, then hand crafting the machine code from tables and toggling the binary to RAM using a set of switches to manually define the address and data lines and waggle the /WR and /CE pins. Kids today don't know they're born...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13976 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:31:15 pm »
The tedious biennial job of oiling every spoke eyelet on a DRC ST19 to get rid of the creaking when climbing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13977 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:39:07 pm »
Fettled my rear derailleur to prevent the chain dropping off and managed to fuck up so badly that I need an entire new RD.

Fucks sake.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13978 on: 26 July, 2019, 10:24:51 pm »
shouldn't that be in the "what have I unfettled today" thread ==>
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13979 on: 26 July, 2019, 10:32:55 pm »
Serviced a Pinnacle hybrid. Nothing unusual in that but this worthy had GREASED the disc brakes. It's the first time I've ever had to replace the brake discs as service items.

They've been soaking in brake cleaner and I cannot get the grease off them. The holes in the discs were full of a paté of grease and brake dust.

I don't suppose I should be shocked any more but really, some people are as thick as shit...

Think that soaking in a lighter oil might be a better idea, then maybe fire to burn off the crud.

With a labour rate of nominally 20 quid an hour and a disc costing around a fiver I took the executive decision to stop wasting my fucking time and mend something a bit more rewarding...

;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13980 on: 26 July, 2019, 10:34:16 pm »
shouldn't that be in the "what have I unfettled today" thread ==>

I thought it was broken, now after fettling I am sure.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13981 on: 27 July, 2019, 04:44:23 pm »
Built a fixed rear wheel for the Moulton TSR.  Surly hub, Sun CR18 rim to match existing.  Couldn't find branded d/b spokes in 190mm so had to use Halo plain gauge, which were pretty good.

Just waiting for a 15T cog and some rim tape now.  I might need to lock up the front forks for fixie use if it pogos wildly on hills.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13982 on: 28 July, 2019, 02:57:30 pm »
I've *finally* cleaned and oiled my bike.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13983 on: 28 July, 2019, 04:00:13 pm »
A lump of bovine protein into pastrami.

A load of weeds into the green bin.

Finally got around to putting up a mirror and some shelves in the lounge, then moved some pictures.

Removed the rats nest of cat5 from behind the TV, moved the xbox into the office then connected the Switch to the lounge TV.

Shall, shortly, be fettling dinner and a beer or two :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13984 on: 28 July, 2019, 04:44:23 pm »
Cleaned up & oiled an old hand drill I found behind a stack of screw boxes.  It worked quite nicely until I turned it chuck down, whereat the driven spindle slid out of the stationary shaft and the gears bound up hard.  Drive wheel held in by rivet so little chance of fixing it.  Put it back behind the boxes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13985 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:46:39 pm »
Active today :

Cut to size and fitted two roller blinds (purchased from IKEA in August last year - nagging finally got to me)

Mounted my new belt sander machine on an MDF plinth (matching my other woodworking machinery) - for stability and to able to clamp to the bench when in use.

Assessed a revised layout/storage/benching in my garage to accommodate new machinery ... and a potential n+1

Rob

rogerzilla

« Reply #13986 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:54:56 pm »
Took a ton of stuff off the TSR - rear mech, chain catcher, geared rear wheel, rear brake, shifter, mudguards, all rear cabling.  Put new fixed wheel in.  Chainline isn't *quite* perfect according to the 2 foot straight edge but I have an unused 110mm BB to swap for the 113mm that's in there, then it will be millimetre-perfect.  The frame (well, the unified rear triangle, to which the BB and dropouts are attached) is dead straight, which is the first time I've seen that on a steel bike.

Also increased the damping on the fork (I was running with minimum damping but a fixie can't be spun up hills).

I need to clean up and repaint the rear dropouts, where the powdercoat has pretty much gone.  Powdercoat sucks.  Fortunately there is a car touch-up paint that is a very good match for the ivory.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13987 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:05:30 pm »
No wonder you complained about the Moulton bobbing. I run fairly heavy damping on mine (rider also fairly heavy, and damp in hot weather).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #13988 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:24:38 pm »
I quite like the floaty effect on crap road surfaces. Would have been.useful on the Dunwich Dynamo, about half of which has been chipsealed.  Yuck.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13989 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:32:18 pm »
True that, but thumping biggish gears uphill requires some compromises.

My 16" Moulton Stowaway had a second abutment stuffed into the front suspension at Tony Hadland's recommendation, which worked very nicely to minimise bobbing. Particularly when I swapped the Duomatic wheel to a 56x13 fixed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13990 on: 31 July, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

More of a bodge than a fettle. Six(!!!!!!) packs of Sugru, it seems as okay after ~240km including tow path as it did when first done, so I think it's going to hold. Yes, the wiring is... being remodelled. Not urgently though...

I tried to make the photo a bit smaller but no matter what size I select, it seems to stay the same. Sorry about that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13991 on: 01 August, 2019, 02:37:27 pm »
This morning I fettled an egg box. I stuck bits of cardboard to it top, bottom and sides, in order to – I hope – pannier-proof it. I might stick it in a drybag as well, just to be sure.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13992 on: 01 August, 2019, 05:35:17 pm »
Not really fettling, (even less so than the previous two) but I also managed to make a Zefal HPX stay in its intended location under the top tube on Sequoia, despite the lack of pips and the top tube/seat tube angle being 90 degrees or more (due to sloping top tube). Careful positioning, a velcro strap and luck. It was only a 5-minute each way ride, mind. If I leave it there at the weekend I now have a new problem to solve: where to put my tent poles?  :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13993 on: 02 August, 2019, 01:48:46 pm »
And the fourth! For some time there's been a clanking from the front wheel region of the Sequoia. I thought it was something mudguard related though I couldn't find anything loose. There was also a very small amount of free play if I rocked the bike forward with the front brake on. I diagnosed wear in the headset, not enough to need urgent attention but something to keep an eye on. I didn't make any connection between the two symptoms.

But yesterday I replaced the brake pads. This bike has flat mount disc brakes, so the calipers bolt to a mounting bar which adjusts for caliper diameter and itself bolts to the fork leg. It turned out one of the bolts attaching the caliper to this mounting bar was loose. There was no chance of it falling out completely, even if it had come totally loose, because it's trapped between mount and fork leg. Might have got interesting if the other bolt had also been loose though.

Anyway, it's quiet now and the brakes are good with the new pads.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13994 on: 02 August, 2019, 05:03:24 pm »
My bedside table has a wonky leg - tenon loose in mortise on the side that's in deep shadow - so I got the nail gun in and banged a 5cm nail through it. A bit of wax to cover the head, job done & solid as a rock.  Then I tried to open the drawer.  It's a bit sticky with a centimetre of nail sticking into the side.  ??? :o :facepalm:

Fortunately, that was only a mental fettle. Leg's still wonky, wallet, driving licence & ID card are still accessible. Anyway, lugging the compressor over to the house would be too much manual labour.

Back to sleep.

« Reply #13995 on: 02 August, 2019, 11:27:27 pm »
My bedside table has a wonky leg - tenon loose in mortise on the side that's in deep shadow - so I got the nail gun in and banged a 5cm nail through it. A bit of wax to cover the head, job done & solid as a rock.  Then I tried to open the drawer.  It's a bit sticky with a centimetre of nail sticking into the side.  ??? :o :facepalm:

Fortunately, that was only a mental fettle. Leg's still wonky, wallet, driving licence & ID card are still accessible. Anyway, lugging the compressor over to the house would be too much manual labour.

Back to sleep.
Isn't the "I'm such a feckin' div" thread somewhere else ?
Rust never sleeps

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13996 on: 02 August, 2019, 11:29:07 pm »
Put two patches on the inside of the terreno which I'd plugged during a cross race. It probably only actually needed one but better safe than sorry. Gave the bike and wheels a good clean while I was at it.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13997 on: 03 August, 2019, 08:07:22 am »

Back to sleep.
Isn't the "I'm such a feckin' div" thread somewhere else ?

Only if I really did it.

« Reply #13998 on: 03 August, 2019, 03:46:24 pm »
More unfettled.

Aldidle 6-inch vice, nil. Old but smooth UN-72 in a long-dead frame, one.

Why I didn't strip the frame long ago, I shall never know. (Actually, that's a lie. I know full well - laziness.) The Stronglight A9 is fine though.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13999 on: 03 August, 2019, 06:39:04 pm »
Frame to dispose of or rebuild?