Author Topic: Karrimor uplift  (Read 16666 times)

Karrimor uplift
« on: 01 June, 2011, 08:29:26 pm »
These are rare as gnats teeth but if someone has the version with the underbag support would be really interested. Ta.

As in here

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16497&start=15

Photo near the bottom.

I already have the shorter version.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Karrimor uplift
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »
In the very faint hope that somebody has two of these, second dibs please (either option).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:49:07 pm »
They look neat.  Someone send the pics to Carradice!

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »
Sometimes older solutions are better. Carradice went with the Bagman  following the demise of Karrimor. (I have a couple)  These are fine as a solution in many instances but for me I would like to employ saddle hoops for audax runs. These bits of kit are simple and just work and allow you to walk away easily with saddlebag.

They still haven't sorted bag hoops for the Pro or Swift both beautiful saddles (although currently using new Pro for knocking nails in!). Cyclists filing hoops off saddles 30 or so years ago for weight/racing purposes, I can understand, but does it make sense for today's market? Whilst we are at it. Titanium versions of the Pro have saddle loops -  outrageous.

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:09:09 pm »
I had one of these decades ago but don't know if I still have it. I may have given it away but I will have a look in the stables and it might take a wee while.

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
I actually managed to pick up an example  of the larger uplift at York, its in poor condition but for a £1 I am not too concerned.  Construction appears to be mild steel which has been plastic dipped, with harder steel tangs for the saddle loops. Would it be possible to have this stripped of its remaining plastic coating and have it nickel/chrome plated? Would this be ludicrously expensive?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »
The tubing might be a bit thin for plating, which normally involves an acid bath AIUI.  But you could certainly strip the plastic off and paint it.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2012, 05:06:55 pm »
I use a combination og Bagman and SQR uplift, this gives the stability and ease of removal and also allows me to mount the bag very low to minimise the pendulum effect it can have on the bike when it's fully laden.

This to me is the area that Carradice should invest some time and effort in. Hanging the bag off the saddle is basically putting a lot of weight up high, when it would be better to try to keep it low and close to the centre of the bike.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:28:39 pm »
I possess one of each kind. They were my uncle's.   I use both.  They are great.  I am not about to sell either.  I have tried several of the alternatives on different bikes within the family over the years and nothing has worked so simply and so well.

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:29:43 pm »
The uplift is solid fettled MS bar I think. I have found a place that does both powder coating and nickel plating and will pay a visit. As to hanging the bag off these things, as I said earlier, sometimes the old way is just right as above. I am extremely pleased to have got my hands on one of these and sort of makes the whole York week end worth while on its own (notwithstanding the excellent company).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:55:15 pm »
Is it just me who keeps seeing this thread and thinking it's a bad name for a sports bra?

« Reply #11 on: 27 June, 2012, 11:48:00 pm »
Yes, it's just you Kim.
Canardly, weren't you supposed to leave that with me so that I can copy it?

« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2012, 11:51:33 pm »
By the way Bob, take a chair when you get a price to nickel plate, I wouldn't want you to get hurt when you faint!!!

« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2012, 06:10:07 am »
Yes, it's just you Kim.
Canardly, weren't you supposed to leave that with me so that I can copy it?

This is the larger model with support under the bag as per pics way back up the thread. Nickel plating that expensive heh? May end up in powder coat then.

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »
Has been lodged with powder coater and will pick up on Tues. Pics to follow. Ps he did not have a glossy ral Grey so will be mat but never mind.

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:44:24 pm »
I remember these from my school days in the late 60s/early 70s. A bunch of us used saddlebags for school work and the uplift was handy for getting the bag on and off the bike in a hurry. Terrible things that usually managed to fall off going over potholes (when the little tabs lost contact with the saddle loops) and the weight of books frequently made the saddle clamp fail (and the rider ended up seated on the nose of the saddle in a sort of counterbalancing act).
I didn't realise they were Karrimor; I had always thought of them as a Carradice accessory. FWIW my sister's Karrimor bag was a very poor effort compared to the Camper Longflap that I used or my brother's Nelson (it was also the only one that didn't get pinched along with the bike!). The Karrimor eventually got terminal rot which gave me a good reason to bin it (and to buy another Camper). I think the uplift had already gone in the bin through lack of usefulness.

« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »
Each to his or her own, but I find the lift of the SB away from everything else really useful in addition to being able to simply lift the bag up and take it with you. The problem with tangs possibly coming adrift from saddle hoops is solved by fixing quick release toe clip strap around seat post.

« Reply #17 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »
The problem with tangs possibly coming adrift from saddle hoops is solved by fixing quick release toe clip strap around seat post.

Yes  we tried that and no it wasn't a solution, although it did help a bit.  :)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #18 on: 07 July, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »
I have used both my models over pretty rough off road, the Camper Longflap stuffed to the gills with camping kit, including large Trangia, and never have the saddle pins come adrift. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 07 July, 2012, 08:48:00 pm »
I've got one of the grey plastic-coated ones. I must have bought it in the 1980s when I used it a lot. It doesn't fit the Flyer but, once I have broken it in, it will be replaced by my new B17 Champion Special.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #20 on: 08 July, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 08 July, 2012, 05:04:38 pm »
Fifty Quid? :o
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 08 July, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
£1 at york in poor nick. £15 for the stripping and powder coating.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: 09 July, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »
In other news, the Bagman Sport2 has appeared on the Carradice website, although not yet to buy

However, for the bodgers amongst us, I reckon that a set of rack struts and mounts like these would do a good job of converting a standard Bagman.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #24 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »