Author Topic: "Breaking new ground in the conversation about mental health and the outdoors"  (Read 1236 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
James Roddie is a caver, climber and professional photographer. He’s also a 30-year-old man with an eating disorder. After the death of his father, James deals with it the best way he knows how – heading underground with his camera. Delving into his story, James candidly explores why caving, adventure, and mental health are so intricately tied together.
There is a common narrative that the outdoors is good for mental health – no ifs, no buts. While I think this can be helpful for some people, James’s experience (and my own) reveals that this is a frankly simplistic narrative – and for some people it’s an idea that can do more harm than good. At its best, outdoor recreation and adventure can provide an escape, a soothing presence, a sense of purpose and progression. It can also exacerbate mental health conditions, intensify negative thinking and make eating disorders considerably worse. Down the Rabbit Hole breaks important new ground in this conversation and I welcome its sensitive and nuanced approach to the subject of mental health and the outdoors.
https://www.alexroddie.com/2019/11/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-james-roddie-and-mike-webster-breaking-new-ground-in-the-conversation-about-mental-health-and-the-outdoors.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.