Author Topic: CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light  (Read 83958 times)

Re: CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light
« Reply #50 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:53:28 am »
My colleague now has two lights from different suppliers and the lights are different.

One has a red bezel with 3 settings and a dimpled relector and the other has a silver bezel with 4 settings and a plain reflector.  The machined housings are a similar design but not the same.  The red's power button flashes intermittently when off whereas the silver's glows constantly.  We have measured the current draw which does relate directly to overall brightness.

Current in mA
          Red 3       Silver 4
1        924           1080
2        203            660
3           -              350
flash        455          590
off        1                 38

So the silver which has a tighter beam is brighter and has more even steps but consumes a considerable amount of power when off.

Hope this of use to someone.

R

AndyK

« Reply #51 on: 11 July, 2012, 10:51:52 pm »
Changed the lens on mine for this. Incredible difference!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #52 on: 11 July, 2012, 11:01:56 pm »
Changed the lens on mine for this. Incredible difference!

I've got one of those too (I mentioned it on p.1 of this thread). Cost was about a fiver including postage from a UK supplier.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #53 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:17:10 am »
What's the beam shape like with that lens?

I've noticed that one of the weaknesses of many of the cheap LED lights (& some expensive ones!), especially from new entrants to the market, is that the designers have gone for raw power, & not worried about beam shape. Some lower-powered lights from firms which were making them in the days of filament bulbs, when every lumen had to be made to count, can look brighter, because they're putting the light where it's useful, instead of illuminating the sky, trees, your front tyre, and so on.

I have a 400 Chinese lumen Magicshine, which is probably no more than 300 real lumens.  It's plenty for road riding, & I often use it in low (120 CL) mode. Big flood of light. My Light & Motion Stella 120 is a lot better at lighting up the road than the Magicshine on low, & even on high the Magicshine wins out only because of the sheer quantity of light  But there are lights out there which beat the Stella despite putting out no more, & perhaps less, light.

A modestly priced lens which gives a cheap Chinese light a good beam shape is an excellent idea.

Any contact details for the UK supplier? I want two.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

AndyK

« Reply #54 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:31:27 am »
The lens does this to the beam:

Also found this on youtube which shows the effect quite well:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5J9zIGTfgGw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5J9zIGTfgGw&rel=1</a>

« Reply #55 on: 14 July, 2012, 10:31:37 am »
The postman brought Mrs B's new light this morning. Damn, it's bright! She's happy. Maybe she'll start going out on evening rides again, to show it off.

The low setting is about as bright as the high setting on my 400 Chinese lumen Magicshine.

Otherwise, as AndyK described. The central spot is tighter, as as been said. I can see how that diffuser lens could be useful. I'll put some weatherproofing on the battery before it's used. We already have suitable adapters for the charger, & a Magicshine charger, so the lack of UK plug is no problem, & the "on full, cycle through lower settings to off with each press of the button" control is obvious.

One can see that it's used some cheaper parts (e.g. the connectors) than Magicshine, & the battery bag is very basic, but it all works, & it's amazing for the price. Two weeks from order to delivery.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #56 on: 16 July, 2012, 02:47:10 pm »
Any contact details for the UK supplier? I want two.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/magiclightuk

Nothing for sale at the mo' but you could ask them.

edit: might be the same as these people, but the website is dormant ???
Pen Pusher

« Reply #57 on: 16 July, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »
Ta. But Mrs B now says she likes the tight central spot, so no new lens for her. Ah well.

AndyK

« Reply #58 on: 16 September, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »
Took me a while to get around to doing this, but here's how it is in use:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSvRJ2HwONU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSvRJ2HwONU&rel=1</a>

The fresnel lens combined with a homemade kitchen-foil-and-duct-tape lens hood gets quite a good spread.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #59 on: 16 September, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »
Fresnel lenses!  Cars stopped using them about 15 years ago, not that there was really anything wrong with them except that they now look a bit old-skool.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light
« Reply #60 on: 16 September, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »
Has anyone used these lights in heavy prolonged rain yet?

I've ordered a couple to save my mj-872 for the other bike to save the swapping over. I've ordered the smooth reflector version so may get the replacement lens if it needs a better spread. How spotty is the light with the smooth reflector, any side spread? and does the replacement lens fit well with no rattling etc?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #61 on: 16 September, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
Mrs B's has not ben subject to heavy or prolonged rain yet, but last Wednesday evening I saw one being rained on for an hour, while in use. The rain was intermittently heavy. The light was fine.

I've seen Mrs B's in use several times now, & the beam looks to be a pretty uniform circular flood, with a well-defined circular central spot.

The Fresnel lens is plastic, & thinner than the standard clear glass sheet (not really a lens). The person I know who has one reckons that the best way to fit the Fresnel lens is on top of the clear glass: the screw-on front which holds the glass in place has enough thread. I can not vouch for this personally. This arrangement does not seem to leak (it's the light mentioned above, that was rained on last Wednesday evening), but I've not checked if he's done anything to improve waterproofing.

« Reply #62 on: 16 September, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »
Thanks for that.

If I'm not happy with the clear lens I'll get the plastic lens and try to bodge an o ring to help the seal, if not silicone works wonders!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

AndyK

« Reply #63 on: 16 September, 2012, 11:47:56 pm »
Thanks for that.

If I'm not happy with the clear lens I'll get the plastic lens and try to bodge an o ring to help the seal, if not silicone works wonders!

There's no need. The fresnel fits perfectly well.

« Reply #64 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:25:49 am »
That's sounds even better!

« Reply #65 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Has anybody fitted one to hope bracket like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23533

« Reply #66 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:30:18 pm »
Has anybody fitted one to hope bracket like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23533
Great minds think alike, I've just been looking at St Johns Street Cycles for bar mounts, I'm not too happy with those rubber ring fixings

« Reply #67 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »
The hope bracket fits my magic shine but I've had to use a 3mm longer bolt.

I'm guessing that with these being magic shine clones the rubber bar clamp will unscrew and allow these to fit.

Hopefully they will :D

« Reply #68 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:57:08 pm »
The O ring fitting seems OK, with pretty solid hooks & a substantial ring. Mrs B's doesn't move around. But I can see the attraction of a more solid & rigid bracket.

The bracket on the light with hooks for the O ring has a rubber pad stuck under it, so I can't confirm it unscrews like the Magicshine one. I don't feel like pulling it off & having to stick it or another one back on just to find out. But it's obviously a separate piece. It can be swivelled slightly on Mrs B's example. I'd bet on it being screwed on, & her screw being a touch loose. Peel that pad off, & there should be a screw head underneath.

« Reply #69 on: 17 September, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
Thanks for looking.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I'll dismantle one and see if the hope bracket fits when they turn up. I'd prefer to fit the hope bar clamp, it's rock solid on my other light.

If nobody else tries it I'll let you know if it fits. It may be a couple of weeks though :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #70 on: 17 September, 2012, 03:39:16 pm »
I bought two of these last week, one for my Ridley and one for Mrs T's Carlton.

They are much smaller than I expected, and I think the fresnel will be the way to go, as the output seems very round, especially compared to my Cyo.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #71 on: 19 September, 2012, 11:08:22 am »
I ordered two lenses and new brackets from Magiclightuk (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/magiclightuk/?_trksid=p4340.l2559), they arrived today, great service and the lenses are £4 each (the brackets are £15).

Thursday will see a test of at least one of them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #72 on: 19 September, 2012, 04:29:39 pm »
I've just ordered one of these for my Pompetamine winter bike (my only bike without dyno hub at present).
I will have a look at the lens thingies too now.

« Reply #73 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:17:22 am »
Just ordered one for the hell of it! probrably over the top for an audax but I have been toying with a local night mountain bike trailquest. mountain biking at night in winter in the Peak District sounds a suitably stupid thing to try, right up my street! http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/trailquest-mountain-biking.asp
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

tiermat

« Reply #74 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:23:31 am »
Feline/DTCMAN, where did you order yours from? I found mine on eBay from a supplier in Manchester, £32.19 each (I bought two) with a cheap and nasty rear light and free postage, thus: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSC-P7-1200Lm-LED-Bicycle-bike-HeadLight-headLamp-Light-UK-STOCK-/260864143965?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item3cbcb6f25d

They also do a 1600 (chinese) lumen one, for £3 more.