Author Topic: World Championships  (Read 1370 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
World Championships
« on: 31 July, 2009, 05:31:45 pm »
It's looking good for GB at the moment, as the stunning performance at the Tour has pushed us into the top ten nations. This gives us rank 1 status so we can have a team of 12 riders in the race (and 6 named as reserves from which 2 can be selected)
We just have to hang onto that spot in the top ten till at least 15th August.

So, who to ride and who to not ride? If a rider is in a trade team then they have to ride Elite mens rather than u23. Who would be left to ride the u23?

Clear riders:
Millar
Wiggins
Cav
Thomas
Froome
Bellis
Cummings
Swift

Others:
House
Downing
Downing
Clancy
Hammond
Kennaugh
Oliphant

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

gonzo

Re: World Championships
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2009, 07:38:26 pm »
I was wondering if we'd make rank 1 just after the tour, but then figured that we might not actually have enough riders to clover all the places!

What's the circuit like? Is it a sprinters or climbers course?

I would imagine that Cav could get a pretty good lead out from Millar, Wiggins and Swift if it gets to that situation. Hammond would also be a favourite for Cav as he used to be part of his old leadout train.

rdaviesb

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2009, 10:19:01 am »
I would definitely take Hammond as road captain. Then Ed Clancy, Russ Downing. Ian Wilkinson would be my other pick.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:14:19 am »
9 Starters : Spain, Italia, Australia, Germany, Russia, Luxembourg, Belgium, Great Britain, Norway, United States of America.
6 Starters: South Africa, Colombia, Venezuela, Kazakhstan, France, The Netherlands, Slovenia, Poland, Ukraina, Denmark, Switzerland
3 Starters: Tunisia, Argentina, Brasil, Canada, Iran, Japan, Portugal, Estonia, Austria, Slovakia, Croatia, Hungary, Sweden, Serbia, Latvia, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Ireland, Belarus
1 Starter: Lithuania, Finland, Namibia, Cuba, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Uruguay, Bulgaria, Chile

I never thought I'd see that in my life!

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2009, 11:24:16 am »
Higher placed that the Netherlands and France ? Fantastic.

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2009, 09:32:22 pm »
Apparently it is a hilly course.

Cav showed at the tour that he can win on a hilly stage but I suspect it is more of a Wiggins stage. Have we got anyone who can play the role of Armatige to Cooke? e.g. go off the front and make everyone else chase.

edit: 4,600+m climbing in 262km

profile on last page of this doc http://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarget.asp?type=FILE&id=NTQwNDY

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2009, 09:49:12 am »
Have we got anyone who can play the role of Armatige to Cooke? e.g. go off the front and make everyone else chase.

David Millar or Chris Froome perhaps?
a great mind thinks alike