Author Topic: vinyl albums to ipod...what best to do?  (Read 1554 times)

vinyl albums to ipod...what best to do?
« on: 19 January, 2013, 04:43:47 pm »
I have a shiny ipod classic, and I've now managed to add all my CDs via itunes, and I've got my podcasts sorted and loaded.

So - vinyl then.  What routes have others taken here to get vinyl tunes onto ipod?

Buy repeat CDs and add via itunes?
Buy used CDs and add via itunes?
Buy download copies?
Buy one of those electronic turntable things?

stories of success and failure welcomed. Used CDs seems meantime to be the way to go.
I dont want to stop buying vinyl, but I'm aware that a big chunk of my old and new music collection is currently unavailable to me when I'm not at home.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: vinyl albums to ipod...what best to do?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2013, 04:56:07 pm »
All of the above.

Converting vinyl to digital is a time consuming and often painful process.

It isn't good to go away and leave it running...
You need reasonable software to process the tracks, both in terms of splitting tracks up and removing artefacts whilst not adding too many artefacts
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »
If it's available by torrent, download it.  You've already bought it, so downloading is legal.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »
Do not buy a special turntable.    You can use your normal turntable (via line out from your amp) with a computer and Audacity.

But, when it's an option, it's easier and better to buy second-hand CDs off eBay then resell them.  Rip to FLAC with Exact Audio Copy.  Convert to MP3 or OGG with FREAC.

All these programs are free.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:23:19 pm »
All of the above.

Converting vinyl to digital is a time consuming and often painful process.

It isn't good to go away and leave it running...
You need reasonable software to process the tracks, both in terms of splitting tracks up and removing artefacts whilst not adding too many artefacts

^ My bold. In large doses.
I did all my 12" singles this way.
I borrowed a quality Linn deck, bought a stylus for it - (I don't think the £49.99 'Re-live-your-vinyl-collection-via-USB' decks you see advertised in weekend supplements, are likely to fill your ears with joy), ran it through a Sony 3-head tape deck to (I think) control the levels, and used (I cannot remember which) software on the Mac to burn them to CD, and subsequently convert them to MP3. ( I did this about 12 years ago so my memory of it is rubbish)
The vinyl-to-CD conversion was acceptably successful.
I wouldn't consider running the subsequently converted to MP3s through my No.1 stereo, while I have the same CDs to hand.
The difference is very noticeable.
I'm glad I did it.
I wouldn't want to have to do it again.
I must've had more time on my hands then.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2013, 06:45:04 pm »
Do not buy a special turntable.    You can use your normal turntable (via line out from your amp) with a computer and Audacity.

But, when it's an option, it's easier and better to buy second-hand CDs off eBay then resell them.  Rip to FLAC with Exact Audio Copy.  Convert to MP3 or OGG with FREAC.

All these programs are free.

My turntables need extra stuff like preamps to work.  So a "special" usb turnable seemed like a good idea.  It isn't that great though.  It is supposed to record straight to a USB stick, but the results have a lot of clipping.  Recording down a USB cable works pretty good though.  The AD conversion happens in the turntable so there is no noise introduced.  The turnable is also smaller than a normal old turntable so it's better in the living room

If I had unlimited space and resources I'd get a proper preamp and use a seperate external audio to USB converter

For the software side I am just using "Audacity"

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2013, 08:27:31 pm »
Thing to do is to take your computer (laptop) to the turntable and amp rather than the turntable and amp to the computer.  People question the quality of laptop AD converters, but I question the quality of USB turntables and the whole cringey concept of duplicating a big piece of kit you've already got (if you have got).

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »
My turntables need extra stuff like preamps to work.

Take a line out from your amp (or tape deck as the OP did).

I only do it now for really obscure (read: Welsh) albums that won't be released on CD or iTunes anytime soon. The line in on my old G4 Powerbook is practically as good as the audio interface in my recording studio setup - and much more convenient as Biggsy says. Taking time to set up the optimum input level is more important, and making sure the needle doesn't jump during the whole side. I can draw out the worst pops and scratches in an audio editor, but I only tend to do that in quiet intros etc.

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »
If it's available by torrent, download it.  You've already bought it, so downloading is legal.

All the time you're downloading a file via bittorrent you are making it available to others from your machine. Even before the full download has completed pieces of it are available to be shared by your client. The instant anyone else downloads a piece from your box you've broken the law [in fact I think that simply making the file available might have already broken the law but that's splitting hairs]. Use a public site like Piratebay and there's every chance that that downloader will be a record industry spider.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2013, 11:18:37 pm »
You can set a torrent app to be one way.
It is simpler than it looks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2013, 11:23:20 pm »
All the time you're downloading a file via bittorrent you are making it available to others from your machine.

This option can be turned off (in µTorrent anyway).

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2013, 11:38:12 pm »
Torrent-type IT stuff and all of the is it/ isn't it legal chat combine to make that a non starter for me. ICBA getting to grips with another type of music thing!

Looks like what I was hoping to avoid is the way though - used CDs and fetch them in that way. You seem to be able to get a fair amount of mine for 1p each plus £1.25 postage. Says a lot about my tastes...

I'll maybe have to just list them out and have a list to live with and tick them off slowly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:06:13 pm »
I don't know the details, but the law on copying/ripping music for personal use was recently changed or clarified.  You won't get in any trouble anyway.  The moral decision is for the individual.