Author Topic: SKS 35mm mudguards  (Read 1399 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
SKS 35mm mudguards
« on: 06 July, 2009, 10:19:29 am »
Does anyone else break them within 6 months to a year?  No abuse, they just crack across their width from fatigue.

Are the white plastic Bluemels Popular likely to be any better?  Spa have them and they would suit the 50s bike.  Otherwise it's aluminium, I suppose.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: SKS 35mm mudguards
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2009, 10:49:19 am »
Does anyone else break them within 6 months to a year?  No abuse, they just crack across their width from fatigue.

Yep.
I wonder if it's to do with the radius I'm forcing them in to to hug the wheel? They seem to naturally lie at a much larger radius than my 700C wheels. Haven't found a solution myself...will watch with interest.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2009, 11:05:14 am »
The only ones that did were ones I'd butchered to get right up into the fork crown of a tight clearance frame - they were down to about 2/3 of their original width so it was only a matter of time.

I've had some Tortec SKS-alikes on my winter bike for about 3 years now, still going strong (in fact they survived a crash that wrote off a steel frame and a front wheel!)

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2009, 04:59:36 pm »
Never had one crack, last pair I had were on the bike for over a year with no issues.