Author Topic: Todays Training Ride  (Read 1905 times)

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
Todays Training Ride
« on: 09 December, 2012, 04:51:40 pm »
My training ride today was my first attempt at 100 km on the road, it took me from Gillingham in Medway out to Boxley  Hollingbourne and down to Tenterden, returning via Larkfield, Cuxton, and Rochester. For some reason my left hand kept going numb and after stopping the last 20 km seemed to take an age to get going again. Total time 5 Hours 4 mins including stops. Not bad for an old guy on a mountain bike with slicks I thought, its whether the old guy can walk down the stairs in the morning that counts I guess  ;D
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Re: Todays Training Ride
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »
Not bad at all! Have you got bar ends on the bike? Might help having a different (road friendly) hand position.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2012, 05:02:08 pm »
Not bad at all! Have you got bar ends on the bike? Might help having a different (road friendly) hand position.

I have and that helps in being able to change hand position, but the road bike is now under construction :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2012, 11:52:27 am »
Riding 100 km during these cold days is a huge achievment, at least for me!  I regularly ride 200 to 300 km a day during the long and warm summer days, but when the weather gets cold and rainy, its another story.  I seldom find enough will to ride 100 km in december.

Don't worry too much about hand numbness: its always worse during cold weather, and its often problematic during your first long rides. Combining both factors  is asking for trouble! 

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:48:48 pm »
Many congratulations. I hope to achieve it next year.