Author Topic: Essex yacf  (Read 2191 times)

Essex yacf
« on: 15 October, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »
hi.. is Essex yacf a closed group of friends or is anyone welcome to ride with you.

I am in the Brentwood area and looking for people to ride with. My club riders are mainly into time trials and I am now looking for more relaxed long(ish) rides, with time to chat and enjoy it.

JohnT

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Essex yacf
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »
hi.. is Essex yacf a closed group of friends or is anyone welcome to ride with you.

I am in the Brentwood area and looking for people to ride with. My club riders are mainly into time trials and I am now looking for more relaxed long(ish) rides, with time to chat and enjoy it.

JohnT
Having ridden with them, trust me, anyone is welcome!   ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2011, 05:23:43 pm »
Anyone can ride.

We tend to be two groups, the Mid Essex crowd based in Witham and its environs, and Auntie Helen and myself, plus anyone else ho wants to come along. AH and I meet most Thursdays somewhere between our abodes (Colchester / Southend) and we ride slowly (rarely do we average over 11 mph) and occasionally we meet with others on Saturdays for "WARTY" rides. Our rides tend to be punctuated with tea and cakes, and pubs for lunch.

The Witham crowd's activities are mostly nocturnal and they too like to visit pubs.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
What wowbagger said!  :thumbsup:

I (mostly) fall into the mid-Essex yacf camp: nocturnal activities very much a fixture!

Anyone's welcome on our outings - always good to hook up with more folks in the area.

The mid-week pub evening rides tend to see us meeting at a pub, rather than riding together (mostly we're coming from different directions), although often we have two or three folks coming from Witham.  In the past we've had a station rendezvous at either Witham or Chelmsford for rides, which we could easily resurrect on occasion.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:02:45 pm »
The 'Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series' thread is where plots are hatched... often at the last minute...but getting in early with a suggestion of a good pub should stir up some interest.

A little group of us ride out from Dunmow on a Wednesday to link up with the Witham-ites [and also on other evenings too], but it can be a bit more of a training ride and often I'm the only one that stops for a pint or several :thumbsup:. But then I'm not up early the next day for a long commute.

Come and join us, JohnT; we ride with anyone, even people from over the border [River Stour] and that London. [See our Christmas thread - all welcome too!]

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:12:52 pm »
I should add that we usually have a christmas outing (thread also in the Rides and Touring section).

Xmas do

We have also undertaken the odd cycle camping jape:-

Freeze your bits off camping

California...

Peddars Way camping

(I suspect there will be a FYBO2 thread sometime soon)

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:16:05 pm »
As one from out-of-Essex who has participated in rides with them I can tell you they'll ride with anyone.

Having said that, be prepared  for them to shoot you, throw your body in the nearest ditch, eat your bike, whilst listening to what common parlance describes as 'house music'.

Consider yourself to have been warned  :)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »
What kind of haircut do you prefer?

Come on out one Wednesday, we could have a Viper/ Wheatsheaf trip.

I have noticed The Three Elms (Chignalls) is pushing itself as a special cider pub, perhaps we should call there sometime.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:31:34 pm »
I'd definitely be up for another Three Elms visit.  Don't let me drink the landlord's special Bourbon this time though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:35:51 pm »
The Viper is a splendid suggestion. That's but a short ride form Billericay so what about it one Wednesday?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »
For sure old chap, but I think we should migrate back to the main thread when we're ready.

I am proud that we now warrant our own ID!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2011, 09:36:25 pm »
The Viper is a splendid suggestion. That's but a short ride form Billericay so what about it one Wednesday?

yes that is a short ride for me too.. I am up for that let me know when

JohnT
 :thumbsup: :sick:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2011, 11:56:02 am »
Don't let me drink the landlord's special Bourbon this time though.
Didn't realise I should have been discouraging you from that particular tipple  :P
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »
Hi JohnT, I think the more important question is - would you want to ride with us?? 
Of course you are more than welcome to join us, as others have already said. Look forward to riding with and/or meeting you in a suitable refreshment venue  :)

p.s. I'm one of the Withamites refered to.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »
JohnT, as Wowbagger said we often ride not too far from you (start at Billericay or Shenfield or Wickford). Are you allowed out in the daytime?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »
JohnT, as Wowbagger said we often ride not too far from you (start at Billericay or Shenfield or Wickford). Are you allowed out in the daytime?

AH,
   Yes I am allowed out in daylight hours, but often finish in the dark ;D

i will keep watching this site for details of any rides

JohnT

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »
I'm away for a few days from this Thursday (back the following Tues) so I won't be out then. Also, if people do choose The Viper for a Weds evening, perhaps they could decide not to this week because I won't be there.