Author Topic: Camping & Caravanning Club  (Read 10617 times)

Re: Camping & Caravanning Club
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2020, 04:18:16 pm »

"Following recent government announcements we will be opening our Club Sites in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland on the 4 July (campsites in Scotland have been confirmed as being able to open without shared facilities initially and with facilities on 15 July - if you have a booking which is affected by this we will be in touch shortly).   

We await further guidance for Club Sites in Wales though we are working towards a potential re-opening date of 13 July. "

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2020, 04:17:53 pm »
I'm a member so I can get access to the certified sites and "members only" sites.

I'd say if you want a civilised camping/caravanning/motorhome holiday or overnight stay this year, CCC is a good bet as "public" campsites will be full- and no doubt a bit chunk of that will be the people who usually head off to Ibiza and see a "holiday" as "get drunk/drugged and have parties with thumping noise* all night."

*They call it "music" but I beg to disagree.

GC

« Reply #27 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:23:47 am »
We have membership of both clubs and the main benefit is access to the CL and Cs network. Much cheaper , quieter and better for cycling and walking.
Often get to talk to real farmers which is a bonus.
I am disappointed that both clubs are not opening sites in the NW of Scotland this season.
I'm alsosurprised that they aren't looking at extending the season to recover some income lost during lockdown.

« Reply #28 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:32:15 am »
The C&CC website states they extended our membership to cover for the three months they were closed in England. I'm sure I also saw it on a newsletter early into lockdown but have been unable to find it. Our new cards arrived last week and the covering letter said they are taking our DD payment on the 2nd August, which is our usual payment date and not a 3 month extension. I've e-mailed them but have only had an automated response telling me they are all busy at this difficult time. I'm not surprised why if they are going to do things like that.....
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #29 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:08:51 pm »
As a caravan virgin (collecting van on 8th Aug) I've joined both, CC and C&CC. We've finally found storage on a C&CC site, but have had type 2 phun trying to give them money and book it. In the course of which we have been told that they are around seven weeks behind, answering emails. Venceremos.

« Reply #30 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:30:01 pm »
Think will cancel the DD. We aren't camping with them this year anyway and will review next year.

I don't mind, it's not a huge sum of money and as said above it's not a bad thing paying for a service they provide other members of the community it's just there isn't a single mention of the current situation in the renewal letter. I can't find the page on the website about the three month closure anymore but I do have a screenshot of it.

« Reply #31 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:00:36 pm »
Took them six days to respond, not seven weeks.

They are apparently extending the membership by three months at the end of the upcoming membership period so ours will be extended from August 2021 to November 2021. I guess that way we all get three months extension whereas some people would miss out if their membership had expired during the shut down.

An insert in the renewal letter saying this would have saved them a lot of e-mail backlog I suspect.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #32 on: 07 August, 2020, 12:31:35 pm »
I sold our narrowboat last year after 10 years and bought a motorhome. Just in time for lockdown! Now off tomorrow to bring covid to Cornwall, apparently they have not enough.
Joined the Caravan and Motorhome club. How does that compare to the camping and caravanning club?
Hoping to go on a more extended trip in September, but in the meantime St Mawes beckons. I expect we will have decided to buy a house by the end of the week. Getting tired of London.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 07 August, 2020, 02:55:31 pm »
Joined the Caravan and Motorhome club. How does that compare to the camping and caravanning club?

It's pretty shit if you've got a tent...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #34 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:43:58 am »

It's pretty shit if you've got a tent...

Yep.  The reason I maintain my membership of the Camping and Caravanning Club is that it provides for all types of caravanning/camping - not just the motorised sort, as the Caravan & Motorhome Club does.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #35 on: 10 August, 2020, 12:10:25 pm »
Tents are accepted at quite a number of Caravan and Motorhome sites. I've camped at Brora, Edinburgh and Berwick.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #36 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:06:19 pm »
Tents are accepted at quite a number of Caravan and Motorhome sites. I've camped at Brora, Edinburgh and Berwick.

It's about 80 sites - out of a network of several thousand Caravan & Motorhome sites (including certificated sites). 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #37 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:01:07 pm »
Advice please: planning a Dungeness-Durness trip for next spring (April/May) and worked out that the Old Codgers' discount plus membership discount saved about seven quid each night at CCC sites, so half a dozen nights would pay for the £41 membership fee. Also they'd be clean and properly run, and there are a lot of them. I could book, turn up late, sleep, and go.
Good idea or daft?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #38 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:42:44 pm »
Unless the rule has changed, as a cyclist or backpacker you do not need to book. The site warden has to find you a space.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #39 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:50:19 pm »
Now that is very reassuring, many thanks, I didn't know that. Am thinking I might arrive too late for the reception to be still open though. I assume I rock up and put the tent somewhere sensible and then find the warden person and pay in the morning?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #40 on: 28 August, 2020, 05:06:29 pm »
Advice please: planning a Dungeness-Durness trip for next spring (April/May) and worked out that the Old Codgers' discount plus membership discount saved about seven quid each night at CCC sites, so half a dozen nights would pay for the £41 membership fee. Also they'd be clean and properly run, and there are a lot of them. I could book, turn up late, sleep, and go.
Good idea or daft?
Phone them and ask, there's also the likely hood of current restrictions continuing Into next summer.

As things are just now a number of sites have no facilities, so unless you want to cart a portapotty around...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #41 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:08:10 pm »
Good idea or daft?
Phone them and ask, there's also the likely hood of current restrictions continuing Into next summer.

As things are just now a number of sites have no facilities, so unless you want to cart a portapotty around...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what is thwarting my plans at the moment, OK if you none-tent, buggered for shower & loo if you are in a tent!
Regards,

Joergen

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #42 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:19:01 pm »
Increasing number of people using Day vans as campervans, rather than have full facilities units.
So provision of facilities has become quite important, who ever it is that bought a job lot of portapotties and small, tall tents with bog roll hangers is probably laughing.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #43 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:41:13 pm »
buggered for shower & loo if you are in a tent!
That is an issue, no doubt. I'd planned to have a sort of wipedown with a wet cloth, possibly an old sock, and dry on a shirt. As for loos: Number Ones in a bush, Number Twos at the breakfast stop in the morning.
It's the glamour that brings me to cycling, y'know.

« Reply #44 on: 28 August, 2020, 09:57:11 pm »
buggered for shower & loo if you are in a tent!
That is an issue, no doubt. I'd planned to have a sort of wipedown with a wet cloth, possibly an old sock, and dry on a shirt. As for loos: Number Ones in a bush, Number Twos at the breakfast stop in the morning.
It's the glamour that brings me to cycling, y'know.

48 hour underarm deodorant, babywipes and two nights in a bivi followed by one night in a B&B.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 29 August, 2020, 12:02:50 am »
48 hour underarm deodorant, babywipes and two nights in a bivi followed by one night in a B&B.

IRTA bagpipes.  I suppose if you're playing those, nobody will be close enough to care what you smell like.

« Reply #47 on: 29 August, 2020, 07:29:37 am »

IRTA bagpipes.  I suppose if you're playing those, nobody will be close enough to care what you smell like.
:D

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #48 on: 01 September, 2020, 08:29:49 am »
I've cancelled my membership. The £40 odd a year is a bit much when we as a family don't actually camp that much.
I paid the extra to join the ALC section and this annoyed me after reading about the clubs beginnings. Started by cyclists who camped. Paying extra as a cyclist who camps I feel is taking the piss. I only attended 2 meets since joining due to distance issues although I was made very welcome by other members there.
I've yet to be turned away from a campsite and never been asked to show my c&cc membership. My dad and I have just completed the Way of the Roses over 6 days and all sites including 2 certificated sites were pre booked.
The C&CC can shove their hefty membership fees.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #49 on: 01 September, 2020, 10:05:41 am »
But would not the member's discount at CCC sites pay for the£41 annual membership fee after your six nights using them?
(Or did you camp in other sure, not CCC ones?)