Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 1st July 2023.  (Read 19219 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 1st July 2023.
« Reply #75 on: 16 May, 2023, 06:19:45 pm »
True, but still pretty rare to cycle through the night for most. Personally i thoroughly enjoy it. Wider society is missing out

There's nothing stopping you just riding through the night any night of the year...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #76 on: 05 June, 2023, 12:51:46 pm »
Feel I should be doing this, this year, and have way too many questions. But the only silly question is the one that isn't asked.
Does everyone take all their nutrition with them?
Where does everyone start?
What time does it start?
What does everyone do at the finish (is there a party or anything), or does everyone just get there then go home?
Is a route FIT file available beforehand?
Is it a charity fundraiser event particularly?

Jef
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #77 on: 05 June, 2023, 05:19:41 pm »
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #78 on: 05 June, 2023, 05:41:37 pm »
No, there are plentiful food stops.
London fields, near the pub.
About 8pm
Party after 116 miles? Are you joking?
Same route every year, look it up.
A couple of the food stops might. Otherwise, no.

sam

« Reply #79 on: 06 June, 2023, 02:32:10 am »
Feel I should be doing this, this year, and have way too many questions. But the only silly question is the one that isn't asked.

Define 'silly'.

Does everyone take all their nutrition with them?

Define 'nutrition'.

Where does everyone start?

Behind Dulwich Paragon.

What time does it start?

Whenever Paragon leave.

What does everyone do at the finish (is there a party or anything), or does everyone just get there then go home?

There are lots of things you can do. Some go swimming, lured by the sunken bells of the doomed All Saints Church. Others start a new life on the Suffolk coast, attracted by the coastal erosion.

Then there are those who simply collapse and await collection by loved ones. An undetermined number turn around and ride back, considering the ride to Dunwich Half Dun.

Is a route FIT file available beforehand?

No idea what a FIT file is.

Is it a charity fundraiser event particularly?

There are two schools of thought on this.
1. We're all a charity case at some point. Just give generously to yourself.
2. Never ride a bike for charity. Once you're addicted, you'll start doing crowdfunders just for a spin to the corner shop.

A moment of silence please for the late lamented Dalston Dynamo.
It's that time of year when you’re thinking about Dunwich. Or at least, people are telling you to think about Dunwich. But really, think about Dunwich. Sure, the ride sounds amazing, but isn’t it a lot of work. Won’t it hurt?

This year there’s a solution. The Dalston Dynamo. All the start line camaraderie of Dunwich, but with none of the pain and suffering of riding all that way to a cold, stony beach and waiting two hours for breakfast.

Other resources:

(I'd edit that – it's been a few iterations since I've left Hitler's initial shock unscripted, for a start – but as it is now an historical document, my hands are tied. Also I've forgotten the password to that account.)

Truly ancient history

sam

« Reply #80 on: 06 June, 2023, 03:37:12 am »
True, but still pretty rare to cycle through the night for most. Personally i thoroughly enjoy it. Wider society is missing out

Thank goodness wider society is asleep right now. It'll be nice to have the roads to myself. Well, me and the milkmen.

file photo of fellow night owl

« Reply #81 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:31:29 am »
No, there are plentiful food stops.
London fields, near the pub.
About 8pm
Party after 116 miles? Are you joking?
Same route every year, look it up.
A couple of the food stops might. Otherwise, no.

Thank you grams.
Very informative.
No I wasn't joking, didn't know the mileage, but will probably swim at the finish. Then ride home.
See you all at London Fields, near the pub, at 8pm
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #82 on: 25 June, 2023, 11:44:12 pm »
I will be riding the dynamo on the penny farthing with a couple of pals. I'm sorted for logistics but another penny rider is trying to figure out how to get back in to London with penny farthing after the ride. Any suggestions anyone?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #83 on: 25 June, 2023, 11:47:31 pm »
It's possible there might be space on one of the bus/pantechnicon setups. Worth looking on FB for available tickets or people selling spares. Otherwise, it might be necessary to find somewhere to leave it and go up a day or two later to bring it home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #84 on: 26 June, 2023, 11:53:29 am »
I will be riding the dynamo on the penny farthing with a couple of pals. I'm sorted for logistics but another penny rider is trying to figure out how to get back in to London with penny farthing after the ride. Any suggestions anyone?

Just seen elsewhere:

https://shop.islington.cc/products/dunwich-dynamo-2023-bike-and-coach-transport

« Reply #85 on: 26 June, 2023, 12:40:28 pm »
ah, thanks for that link, I will pass it on and see if it helps him.
See you all on the road :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #86 on: 26 June, 2023, 02:45:44 pm »
It doesn't matter whether you start in front of or behind Dulwich Paragon.  They are normally in such a rush that they keep getting lost.  One year, the same group passed us several times.  Also notorious for cutting people up and shouting abuse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #87 on: 26 June, 2023, 04:11:34 pm »
Well, I was in - but now I am out. Next time, maybe.

I hate Bluetooth speakers.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #88 on: 26 June, 2023, 08:58:52 pm »
It doesn't matter whether you start in front of or behind Dulwich Paragon.  They are normally in such a rush that they keep getting lost.  One year, the same group passed us several times.  Also notorious for cutting people up and shouting abuse.

And the club's Top Brass don't take too kindly to lesser mortals writing to him to tell him how badly his club treats other road users.

« Reply #89 on: 30 June, 2023, 12:55:51 pm »
So where is the London fields meeting.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #90 on: 30 June, 2023, 12:57:33 pm »
By the Pub in the Park. There will be one or two cyclists milling about...

« Reply #91 on: 30 June, 2023, 01:41:07 pm »

Usual YACF spot?  Will you be there as I would like a wow hug.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #92 on: 30 June, 2023, 01:47:00 pm »

Usual YACF spot?  Will you be there as I would like a wow hug.

I'm cheating, I'm afraid. I'll be on my e-bike and its battery is good for about 60 Wowbagger/Essex/Suffolk miles comfortably. So I'm getting the train to Braintree, cycling to Dunmow and topping up at Tomsk's house, and the heading to the Gosbeck Scout Hut (51 miles apparently) to top up with electrons again before heading to the beach and then My Mate Terry's house in Sibton, where I plan to leave the bike before getting a train home, catching up on sleep, and then driving out to collect the bike from Terry.

I could do the whole thing, but that would require something in excess of 3 hours' charging to be sure of completing the ride, and possibly a bit more. I might well had a decent kip at Gosbeck, depending on how comfy the chair are...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #93 on: 30 June, 2023, 02:00:39 pm »
The DD has been on my list for a few years now, so I’m a little jealous of those of you who have lined up a sufficiency of tuits. Next year…
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #94 on: 01 July, 2023, 12:45:31 pm »
Well, I'm getting my brain into it. Have plotted my route - 87.63 miles from Braintree station - and it's very interesting how just doing that affects my attitude. I look at the map and picture great chunks of the ride in my mind's eye, and my feelings at the different bits of the ride come back to me. Some bits I clearly like better than other.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #95 on: 01 July, 2023, 02:45:42 pm »
The forecast is for a cloudless night from midnight. We are only 9 days past the solstice. It won't get dark. Moon is, at the time of writing, "86% waxing gibbous". That will be even gibbouser - or waxier - by the time we set off.

« Reply #96 on: 01 July, 2023, 03:33:20 pm »
Will the ACME lot be wearing their uniform? It would be great to meet some of you / again. I have ridden with Jiberjaber many, many times.

Also, what does your bike look like Wowbagger? I feel there is a lot we could share if we get to chat.

I am doing the full thing, and setting off from Benfleet around 5pm, so expect to start at 8pm.

Someone had the great idea of jotting down their useful stop data, and taping it to their cockpit. I have copied that idea.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #97 on: 01 July, 2023, 03:40:29 pm »
I shall be on a Riese & Muller Homage, which is a white behemoth.

Looking forward to meeting you. I expect you will catch me up, unless you are that quick that Dunmow is already behind you at 11pm. I'm planning a prolonged stop at Gosbeck, for electrons, and from there to the beach. After brekkie and a swim I'm heading back to My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton where I will leave it until an unspecified day next week when I will drive up to collect it. Probably Thursday. I will have withdrawal symptoms by then.

« Reply #98 on: 01 July, 2023, 04:08:41 pm »
I will look out for you Mr Wow

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: 01 July, 2023, 04:38:51 pm »
Will the ACME lot be wearing their uniform? It would be great to meet some of you / again. I have ridden with Jiberjaber many, many times.

I'll be a bit 'stealth' as I'm touring back and it's not an Audax! Got the ACME mudflaps and club badge on saddlebag etc. I'm expecting we'll comprise the usual ACME/AUK peloton: fixed/recumbent/tourer/racer mix.  :thumbsup:

You'd be welcome to drop in at our house in Dunmow - on the route in The Causeway, on the left after the town centre, probably a load of bikes parked outside! We're aiming for a 23:00 launch, but depends on the progress of the London starters.