Author Topic: Starlings  (Read 1453 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Starlings
« on: 06 November, 2009, 09:29:58 am »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Starlings
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:34:54 am »
Great pictures. I keep meaning to to up to Leighton Moss to see this spectacle which I last witnessed some thirty odd years ago during a late autumn backpacking trip. It is one of those experiences that once witnessed stays with you forever.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2009, 11:07:20 am »
How does a large flock like that find enough to eat ?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2009, 12:27:36 pm »
McDonalds
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2009, 03:26:34 pm »
We used to see them like that when I went to a country school. They sounded like a waterfall in the woods nearby (Luddenham for the north Kenters), absolutely stunning :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »
I haven't seen a huge flock of starlings for years.

I once went to an FA Cup match between Saarfend & AP Leamington (1970s some time - I think it was the year Saarfend drew with Liverpool - 1978). The Leamington match must have been close to being abandoned because the fog was so thick that you couldn't see from one side of the ground to the other.

An enormous flock of starlings descended at one point, presumably attracted by the floodlights. All you could hear was the noise of their wings.

I think that the crowd on that occasion was the biggest ever in the history of football - at least 500000, I'd say (plus 1500 or so human supporters).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »
How does a large flock like that find enough to eat ?
They all spread out during the day.  The flocking behaviour only starts as it begins to get dark.  There are some conifers surrounding the crematorium on the other side of the road where I work.  These are used some years by the starlings.  Last year was very good.  People were just stopping to watch.  Peds gawping skywards are 'interesting' next to the cycle path.

If anyone's reading this who hasn't ever seen this for real, you really must make the effort.  It's one of the most spectacular wild life sights in the country

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »
I get creeped out when a "mini-flock" descends on the lawn out of nowhere. It's worse if you look out the window and they're already there! Only happens a few times a year.

Would love to see a "mega-flock" sometime - I think there must be some that congregate nearby, just not found 'em yet.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:54:15 am »
I learned in Manchester to dive into a doorway if a load of starlings took off and circled overhead.
It is simpler than it looks.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2009, 04:05:38 pm »
I remember passing by a local greengrocers and being amazed to see dozens of starlings helping themselves to the grapes on display outside the shop.

« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2009, 04:17:58 pm »
The aged Ps report that the starlings are gathering in huge numbers down by the Coombe Hill Canal between Tewkesbury and Gloucester.  I've enjoyed watching the Brighton flocks over the West Pier in the past.  Not so much for them to roost on now, I'm sorry to say.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2009, 12:04:17 am »
Huge flocks in Birmingham centre in 1984.
I've not been back recently though so don't know what it's like now.