Author Topic: Yes! I've removed the DRM from my ebooks  (Read 11191 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Yes! I've removed the DRM from my ebooks
« on: 26 January, 2010, 07:05:04 pm »
I've just ordered a Nokia N900 and (belatedly) realised that there is no mobipocket reader for it. This made me a bit glum as I have a lot of ebooks and it's my favoured means of buying books.

So a bit of scurrying around the web and a lot of playing with stuff and, hey presto, my books are DRM free.

Just hope I can run FBReader on the N900 as well as on this laptop.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Yes! I've removed the DRM from my ebooks
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:32:08 am »
DRM - spawn of the devil.

Will never buy *any* drmed stuff, unless it can be removed, or is absolutely standardised, so it can be played on any player, and there is no risk of it becoming obsolete.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2010, 07:33:08 am »
Fbreader has been the reader of choice for the whole Nokia tablet family.  Should be peachy on the 900.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Pancho

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2010, 07:45:16 am »
DRM - spawn of the devil.

Will never buy *any* drmed stuff, unless it can be removed, or is absolutely standardised, so it can be played on any player, and there is no risk of it becoming obsolete.

I agree with you in principle but my principles are not as strong as yours - I moan about it but still buy them. Books, at least. I've never bought DRM music.

With music, you can at least buy the CD and rip it to create a portable digital copy. With books, if you want a digital copy, you have to buy whatever the publisher offers (if he does).

But, yes, I hate DRM. Not because I have any reluctance to pay but because it limits the utility of the product.

Pancho

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2010, 07:47:33 am »
All has not been plain sailing on the de-DRM front.

It seems that while my test books all worked, the success rate on the full list seems to be about 50%.

Back to mucking around on the command line in Terminal. It's all a bit techy, this hacking lark.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2010, 08:23:15 am »
Its frustrating isn't it?  It looks like the ereader manufacturers and the book publishers are following the same route as the music industry did, and consequently look set to get the same sort of bloody nose.

Dave

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:24:19 am »
Nice hack there, Pancho  :thumbsup:

I agree with Tony - DRM is the devil's own spooge and if there's anything that's going to kill music/artists/creativity in general, it's the big corporates aggressively pursuing individual use and protecting "their" content in this way.

Unless it's something I've been given for free anyway (think iPlayer) then I'm having none of it.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:31:45 am »
Pancho, I'd be interested in reports on how you like/dislike the N900.
The Devil is sitting on my shoulder tempting me. Of course, Jesus is tapping me on the other shoulder tempting me to look at his tablet later on (Apple slate of course).

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:33:31 am »
God rides a Harley and Jesus carries an iPhone?

::-)

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2010, 02:15:58 pm »
Unless it's something I've been given for free anyway (think iPlayer) then I'm having none of it.

and you can get that effectively DRM-free of course...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2010, 03:54:25 pm »
Exactly the predicted response. :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tonycollinet

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »
Provide me with something I want to buy - and I'll buy it.

That means DRM Free - or standardised DRM with zero risk of obsolescense, and ability to transfer from one machine to another.
At a price that takes into account the printing and distribution savings, and at a price which is the same here as in USA (tax differences allowed)
At a time the same the world over - no regionalised distribution.

I'll then also buy the e-reader to go with it. I'm not interested in ripping people off. If I want something, I'll pay for it. If the above is not available, I might buy the paperback, put it in a cupboard, and read a pirate download version on an e-reader.

The music and book (and eventually film) publishing industry need to realise that they have lost the control they used to have of their product. No dicking about with DRM is going to change that long term. If they don't offer what the consumer wants, unrestricted, when he wants it, at a reasonable price, they'll simply lose the sale to piracy.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »
What did you use to clean your books, Pancho?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »
In the end, we’ll pay a high price for this free-for-all | Sathnam Sanghera - Times Online
And it explains in clear English what “free” has done for the music industry. Basically, it has been decimated. Even though legitimate digital sales have grown nearly ten-fold in the past five years, overall the music industry’s global sales have fallen 30 per cent over the same period.

(My italics)

« Reply #16 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:39:39 pm »
You never know, a 30% total fall in revenues could be a 20% fall due to the current recession (or 9/11 or 7/7 or the Quake in Haiti) and a 10% fall due to being decimated.

;)

"digital sales have grown nearly ten-fold in the past five years" is pretty meaningless without an indiciation of what proportion of the industry it was either now or 5 years ago. Digital sales have grown infinitely in the past 100 years given there weren't any digital sales 100 years ago.

Sloppy journalism but makes the point that the current setup is just doomed to fail unless they get DRM right (and I don't think that is even technically possible).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #17 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:41:08 pm »
Usual arguments. For years, the music industry tried to kill downloadable recordings completely. Then Apple showed it was possible to make money from them. But for the majority of the industry, it was a bit late. A generation had grown up illegally downloading music, while imbibing the milk of (richly merited) hatred for the big music firms, & determination not to give them money. That determination has been reinforced by the behaviour of said corporations: bullying, shameless political lobbying, threats, lies . . .

I wholeheartedly agree that authors, whether of words or music, should get paid. But a proper, decent, copyright system would require that copyright, once sold on, can not be extended. This would not adversely affect authors or their heirs, but those (mostly large corporations) who buy up copyrights, then lobby for the law to change to make their property more valuable (see the US Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998, AKA the Mickey Mouse Protection Act).

BTW, I tend not to download music. The quality! And I like books. Real books.

Something else - I remember that someone pointed out a couple of years ago that average sales per CD title were rising, while total sales were dropping. Music publishers weren't releasing as many titles, & were culling old, slow-selling titles. It'd be interesting to see recent figures. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's still happening. I've been trying for a few years to get hold of copies of some music I only have on old LPs, but it seems the pieces I want aren't for sale, anywhere, at any price. Hey! You! Mr. Music Publisher! I want to buy some CDs! Why won't you sell them? I'll pay for downloads, if you'll sell me decent quality recordings. Please . . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tonycollinet

« Reply #18 on: 27 January, 2010, 11:59:34 pm »
Back to the "provide me with somthing I want to buy" argument.

Pancho

« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2010, 06:38:27 am »
Sloppy journalism but makes the point that the current setup is just doomed to fail unless they get DRM right (and I don't think that is even technically possible).

It's not journalism - it's a polemic.

Actually DRM is more important to books and authors than it is to musicians. A popular musician who can play to live audiences will always make money - even if every recording is pirated or given away. And, really, that's what musicians are all about - the recording industry is the one that needs DRM and that's about production not creativity.

Authors are stuffed on the free model as their trade is based entirely on production and not on performance.

Pancho

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2010, 06:43:35 am »
What did you use to clean your books, Pancho?

After spending a long long time exploring the murkier reaches of the internet and even trying a bit of coding myself, I was about to give up the hunt. Then I found this:

How To Remove DRM from MOBI and PRC eBooks

You'll still face lots of problems and I've certainly got a lot of books it hasn't worked on but, hey, it's something.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2010, 07:11:56 am »
Duly bookmarked.   :thumbsup:

I'm not sure there is such a difference between bands and authors as you suggest.  I'm probably never going to go to a gig by X.  In both cases, though, easy access to the back catalogue is most likely to turn me into a fan

Fans buy stuff out of love.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 28 January, 2010, 08:15:19 am »
Actually DRM is more important to books and authors than it is to musicians. A popular musician who can play to live audiences will always make money - even if every recording is pirated or given away. And, really, that's what musicians are all about - the recording industry is the one that needs DRM and that's about production not creativity.

Authors are stuffed on the free model as their trade is based entirely on production and not on performance.
Not so sure about this. I work for an American record company in the UK (boo! hiss! but it's a small company) and their general rule of thumb is that tours are usually break-even only or loss making. The reason artists tour is to drive up sales of the CD and then the backlist, rather then to get money from ticket receipts which almost never covers the cost of the actual tour. This may of course be different for bigger bands who fill huge venues.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 28 January, 2010, 08:50:34 am »
Book Sharing Bankrupting Publishing Industry! Boing Boing

The link contained within that post is brilliant - it captures a lot of the issues surrounding this topic very well:

The Millions:   Confessions of a Book Pirate

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 28 January, 2010, 12:11:40 pm »
In the end, we’ll pay a high price for this free-for-all | Sathnam Sanghera - Times Online
And it explains in clear English what “free” has done for the music industry. Basically, it has been decimated. Even though legitimate digital sales have grown nearly ten-fold in the past five years, overall the music industry’s global sales have fallen 30 per cent over the same period.

(My italics)

Who knows - perhaps 10% of record company execs have lost their lives in this mayhem? :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------