Author Topic: Anyone else got a 'droid phone?  (Read 9601 times)

Chris S

Re: Anyone else got a 'droid phone?
« Reply #50 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:46:03 am »
I've not bought a screen protector.  Are they a gimmick or a necessary evil?

I didn't want to bet on the clarity of my screen to find out. The protectors I have are just very thin versions of that protection film you get on new screens and touchpads; now it's on there, I don't know it's there.

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #51 on: 18 May, 2010, 01:12:21 pm »
..and the usb and car charger that came with my last phone fit and work with the htc..
WooHoo !
Books are for tourists...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #52 on: 20 May, 2010, 07:51:51 pm »
Android 2.2, froyo, has just been released to the developers, soon to be seen on a device near you.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #53 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »
Just got a HTC desire yesterday - hoping to take some geotagged pics on the Spurn Head 400 on Saturday. That's if the battery can manage to hold out for a whole day
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #54 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:37:33 pm »
Generally liking it so far. But looking through the forums, and help, and manuals, it would seem that a state of the art uber-fone like the Desire can't actually do something that my 6 year old Nokia could - namely, Bluetooth initiated voice dialling. Which pretty much makes it this as an in-car phone: Useless.

I'm surprised. It also means I can't use a BT headset when cycling; again - like I could with the old Nokia.

So - not bad as a mini PC goes; but a bit shit in places, as a phone. Of course - one could argue they are just doing their bit for road safety...  ::-)

Coming in the next version

Android 2.2 Froyo is finally unveiled, 2-5x faster than Eclair - GSMArena.com news

"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Chris S

« Reply #55 on: 21 May, 2010, 08:09:49 am »
Generally liking it so far. But looking through the forums, and help, and manuals, it would seem that a state of the art uber-fone like the Desire can't actually do something that my 6 year old Nokia could - namely, Bluetooth initiated voice dialling. Which pretty much makes it this as an in-car phone: Useless.

I'm surprised. It also means I can't use a BT headset when cycling; again - like I could with the old Nokia.

So - not bad as a mini PC goes; but a bit shit in places, as a phone. Of course - one could argue they are just doing their bit for road safety...  ::-)

Coming in the next version

Android 2.2 Froyo is finally unveiled, 2-5x faster than Eclair - GSMArena.com news

Excellent. So will Android 2.1 based phones be upgradable?

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #56 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:27:56 am »
Has any one upgraded Android before? I've been stung with Windows mobile a few times - which were never an upgrade but were in fact a fresh install that meant all the apps. had to be re-installed.

A shitter and a giggler.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #57 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:08:41 pm »
The nexus upgraded from something to 2.1 in Jan I think it was and nothing went wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »
I just downloaded the Silent Boot app, that bloody HTC start up sound that is more ear splittingly loud than anything else on the phone was driving me mental. If I had the geek fu I suppose I could have fixed that by rooting it, but that's beyond my ken.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #59 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »
The new update market place is pretty good.

Android.com - Market

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #60 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:04:07 pm »
Just couldn't wait so I update to 2.2 today, Get Android 2.2 on Your Nexus One Without the Wait

Looks pretty much the same a few more things you can do with it compared to 2.1. Feels a wee bit faster, especially the browser and the GUI has little cleaner look.

But I managed to get BBC news to play on it along with iPlayer even over 3G, though it probably be cheaper to do it on wifi.

But it didn't fix the wifi issue I had, eg. it will not even turn on :(

« Reply #61 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »
So, have any of you with an HTC Desire rooted it?

I'm in half a mind about doing it.  I don't want to brick a very expensive device, but I'd like to run things like Droidwall, which requires a rooted phone.

Hmm...
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #62 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:04:29 pm »
If I had half an idea of what I was doing I prolly would have....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #63 on: 02 June, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
Dell Streak - O2

Now I could be tempted by this one, Dell Streak. If only I was sure that I could dump a 32+ GB card into it and them copy my photos onto it then I would be laughing while touring. Then I got the extra space, the wifi to upload to blog and server as an extra backup when I find a wifi spot.

« Reply #64 on: 06 July, 2010, 11:38:52 am »
I've been playing with Google MyTracks to record my rides... Is there a way to plan routes using or targeting Android, so I can have the phone tell me what turns to make? Or do I really need ;) a proper GPS?

TIA
Rich

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #65 on: 06 July, 2010, 11:42:06 am »
I have just ordered a SE X10 mini, as my "party/bike ride/etc" phone, ok it's only Android 1.6 ATM, but is due to be updated Q4.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #66 on: 06 July, 2010, 11:46:53 am »
I am hankering after a Dell Streak also. Only thing that stops me is the lack of the particular VPN client for our corporate LAN.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #67 on: 07 July, 2010, 02:10:32 pm »

My new dinky phone :)

Mini by name, mini by nature...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #68 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:08:51 pm »
I got the official update to Froyo yesterday.  It seems largely the same as the older version, but with a couple of additional apps.  Over my WiFi it only took a couple of minutes to download the 90M update, although it took something like 10 minutes to do the update, with several reboots to complete everything.

It has a video playing app now, which means I can dump the one I installed.  An amusing app is a flashlight, which allows you to use the cameras "flash" as a torch, with three levels of brightness.

It looks like the battery usage is a bit better, although it's hard to tell with only a days worth of use.

I've managed to use some flash applications, BBC iPlayer, TVCatchup, and YouTube, which all seem to work fine.

« Reply #69 on: 04 August, 2010, 07:51:04 pm »
... but I just noticed that the Bluetooth Voice Dialling bit of Froyo doesn't exist in the HTC Desire's version. ??? >:(

I've contact HTC tech support, to see if they can explain why.  I'm not however holding my breath for a reply.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #70 on: 12 August, 2010, 12:36:33 pm »
I downloaded the Froyo update last night. After some initial wailing and gnashing of teeth because the mobile internet didn't work (because it deleted all the APN details for the connection) and not being able to get the HTC_IME mod keyboard which I favour to work (re-install of new version didn't work but I got there eventually thanks to 'clear data' in the app manager), it seems to be working now. Sigh of relief.

« Reply #71 on: 25 October, 2010, 07:58:49 pm »
Desire HD *should* be arriving tomorrow. I am a little bit excited. Forced by the untimely demise of my E71 due to it's unreasonably fragile power socket. I may take it apart and see if I can fix it.

« Reply #72 on: 25 October, 2010, 08:24:35 pm »
I downloaded the Froyo update last night. After some initial wailing and gnashing of teeth because the mobile internet didn't work (because it deleted all the APN details for the connection) and not being able to get the HTC_IME mod keyboard which I favour to work (re-install of new version didn't work but I got there eventually thanks to 'clear data' in the app manager), it seems to be working now. Sigh of relief.

You need apn backup & restore!!
   APN Backup & Restore ~ Android Application v1.7 By Ritesh Sahu | Tools

Chris S

« Reply #73 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:35:17 am »
Anyone else with a Desire finding it a bit unstable sometimes?

Mine seems to reboot a lot, especially when doing something intensive; eg: Google Earth - that's a guaranteed reboot within a couple of minutes of use.

I was hoping yesterday's update to 2.33.161 would sort it out - as one of the changes on the release notes was "stability improvements" but sadly no, it still reboots at least twice a day :(.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #74 on: 29 November, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »
I posted a separate thread about my Desire previously- i thought it was linked to using a car charger.

but i used the GPS without the charger soon after and the thing still reboots. having a check on the android forum it's not uncommon.

maybe linked to overheating, or some process looping. current fix is to send it away and get a new phone.  :sick:
A shitter and a giggler.