Author Topic: Anyone else got a 'droid phone?  (Read 9610 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Anyone else got a 'droid phone?
« Reply #75 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:36:59 pm »
Anyone else with a Desire finding it a bit unstable sometimes?

Mine seems to reboot a lot, especially when doing something intensive; eg: Google Earth - that's a guaranteed reboot within a couple of minutes of use.

I was hoping yesterday's update to 2.33.161 would sort it out - as one of the changes on the release notes was "stability improvements" but sadly no, it still reboots at least twice a day :(.

I can still count on one hand the number of times I've rebooted my HTC Desire - and one of them was yesterday after I finally got round to doing a major update (I usually say "no thanks" when it asks).
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #76 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:54:51 pm »
Anyone else using Locale?

Locale for Android

Out of the box, it's just for managing your phone's functions according to location. However, it can be extended so that it will send sms / email, popup reminders, or work in conjunction with Astrid so that you only get do lists according to the place where you need to do them.

One thing I can see people on here using is the plugin to sms / email people a google map current location link. It's a cinch to set it so as you pass through villages (it works best with a 250 metre + radius so it doesn't have to rely on GPS, and can use phone network, plus can be trained with wifi at known locations), so people can be updated as to your progress on a ride.

I mainly use it to seperate my home and office do lists, but I also set it to remind me to stop at the shops on the way home from work, etc.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #77 on: 29 November, 2010, 02:36:35 pm »
I've recently taken the plunge into rooting my phone and installing some mods (not Bradley Wiggins). It was easier than I thought but just technical enough to give me a sense of satisfaction from doing it. A whole world of fun awaits :)

(Currently using Cyanogen stable, since you ask).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #78 on: 29 November, 2010, 03:02:03 pm »
Anyone used an Orange San Francisco? Is it any good? Its only £100 on PAYG.

« Reply #79 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »
Anyone else using Locale?

Locale for Android

Out of the box, it's just for managing your phone's functions according to location. However, it can be extended so that it will send sms / email, popup reminders, or work in conjunction with Astrid so that you only get do lists according to the place where you need to do them.

One thing I can see people on here using is the plugin to sms / email people a google map current location link. It's a cinch to set it so as you pass through villages (it works best with a 250 metre + radius so it doesn't have to rely on GPS, and can use phone network, plus can be trained with wifi at known locations), so people can be updated as to your progress on a ride.

I mainly use it to seperate my home and office do lists, but I also set it to remind me to stop at the shops on the way home from work, etc.

I found that it caned the battery too much to justify itself
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #80 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »
In that its primary purpose was to help prolong battery life, I am surprised by that.

I assume you used it to keep GPS off, manage screen timeout, etc? I've not found it's had any noticeable effect on battery, and that's without going ott on the battery management stuff. It never fails to ID the two locations I've trained with wifi, and same with non-trained villages when I have cycled through. The only time it has failed was when I drove through a non trained village.