Author Topic: Beyond XP  (Read 10476 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Beyond XP
« Reply #125 on: 18 April, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »
Ta. That's more or less what I was thinking, but I couldn't help wondering if there was something I'd missed.

I intend to uninstall everything in that VM that isn't essential, & carry on using it. I'll make sure I unplug the modem every time I fire it up.

Most of my VM setups have no network connectivity at all.

At one point I was using a particular configuration sufficiently frequently that I wanted to avoid having to keep reinstalling so I bought a spare Windows license, installed it to make a permanent VM, enabled network connectivity for long enough to register the license, then turned it off again.

For my purposes the whole point of a VM is to have an absolutely clean Windows installation for test purposes, so I work around keeping one totally clean Windows virtual machine and cloning it as needed. Then when the tests are done I delete the clone.

ETA: The VM has very tightly restricted access to the host machine (I keep one single folder shared between the two, so I can copy what I need to test onto it) so unless a hacker not only breaks into a machine with no networking but also breaks back through the virtualisation software it's not like they can do much. If it all goes wrong I delete the VM and create a new one.
http://xkcd.com/350/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #126 on: 18 April, 2014, 06:58:13 pm »
I've just taken the Win8 shilling. A bit painful but I'm getting there. Happily we have a (2)3 year old child in the house to help me.

"Where are my applications? I cannot find the applications from desktop and I don't want to keep switching into metro!!"

"What are you looking for?

"Excel"

"Have you tried typing, "Excel"?"

"oh"

But I'd still like a app list....

It was a tough decision but I'm pleased I skipped Win7 and went for a Win8 lappy with a touchscreen. Tocuh makes Win8 bearable and playing with maps fun. Gmaps and Street view on a fast processor and broadband is a revelation. All of a sudden the world is my oyster!

Though it has occurred to me that MS really isn't the only game in town anymore and given the pain of jumping from XP to Win8 I could have gone Apple.

No, that's a step too far, for now....

« Reply #127 on: 18 April, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »
Most of my VM setups have no network connectivity at all.
ETA: The VM has very tightly restricted access to the host machine (I keep one single folder shared between the two, so I can copy what I need to test onto it) so unless a hacker not only breaks into a machine with no networking but also breaks back through the virtualisation software it's not like they can do much. If it all goes wrong I delete the VM and create a new one.
My VM has nothing shared except what's plugged into a USB port - & if there's nothing there . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #128 on: 11 June, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »
Possibly you'll get five more years of updates for XP if you fool it into believing it's Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (what ATM machines use):

http://thehackernews.com/2014/05/registry-hack-get-windows-xp-security.html

Incidentally:
 http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1306762/how-to-slipstream-an-xp-disc-with-sp3-and-all-other-updates
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #129 on: 11 June, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »
Hmm. What's the security risk of XP in a VM if it's only fired up when not connected to the web?

Twitter viruses.
In today's news, Tweetdeck doesn't do its escaping properly and will run arbitrary Javascript if you tweet it. How much damage can 140 characters do?
Not especially helpful or mature

ian

« Reply #130 on: 11 June, 2014, 06:38:36 pm »
Hmm. What's the security risk of XP in a VM if it's only fired up when not connected to the web?

Twitter viruses.
In today's news, Tweetdeck doesn't do its escaping properly and will run arbitrary Javascript if you tweet it. How much damage can 140 characters do?

Deliver a virus that can overwrite your immortal soul? How many times do I have to warn you.

Come on people, surely a good reason not to use XP is that it's like letting children armed with primary coloured crayons attack your eyes.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #131 on: 11 June, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »
So go for Windows 8 instead and get hit by Lego bricks instead of crayons.
It is simpler than it looks.