Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134386 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14100 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:56:54 am »
Punctures. Lots of punctures. It was a wet FNRTTC and Adam asked me to be tail end Charlie.

I also discovered some people repair punctures the wrong way a different way to me.
Sorry, I feel quite guilty about missing this one, but I was in no fit state to ride. How many punctures ?
More than the fingers and thumbs of two hands i think.
Two were fixed somewhere under a bridge in Tooting. One at the Lavender farm. One up the road from the Lavender farm. One at chipstead. One at the A23 / Rocky Lane junction. One in Merstham. One at the A25 / Cormongers lane junction. One just outside Turners Hill. One on the approach to Handcross.  I think that's it. I didn't actually get my hands dirty on any of them, save for the Handcross one. I think more assertiveness is needed, so the job gets done quicker. Some of these were repeat offenders, where the offending sharp object wasn't seen or removed, causing another puncture later.
Oh add one that the rider got and nobody noticed, so he got missed by the group. Phone calls to Adam meant he had to find his own way to The Edifice. At least he got there early.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14101 on: 13 October, 2019, 01:15:01 pm »
Oooo errr. All whilst it was pissing with rain I presume. Chapeau.
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14102 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:37:24 pm »
Man and van hired to take spare furniture to a self-store .... which allows me to reinstate my garage into full size with more space for bike and woodwork fettling - 3 of my bikes have also been put in the store.

. . . works starts tomorrow on the workshop organisation.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14103 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:48:49 pm »

Fun or chore?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14104 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:17:37 pm »
The weather wasn't as bad as advertised. Persitant-ish drizzle at the start, petering out as we headed south. I'm pretty sure it had stopped by the time we got to the Lavender farm. It was certainly dry after The Edifice as I remember I'd put my waterproof away. There was a lot of standing water though including some GBFO puddles. A slow ride though, Turners Hill at 0630 FFS, breakfast at 0930.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14105 on: 13 October, 2019, 05:38:15 pm »
Unpacked HK’s and my Moultons. Replaced the worn-out rear Minits Lite (canvas showing after a 1000 brevet) on my M with a used Grand Prix from the garage pile. Replaced the rear brake on mine with a Shimano and swapped a dead taillight on HK's Moulton. Replaced a dead taillight on HK’s Moulton. Swapped some grub screws with stainless and some overlong bolts with appropriate ones.

Binned three 406 Duranos and a couple of 700x25C Grand Prix from the same garage pile.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14106 on: 13 October, 2019, 06:12:01 pm »
The weather wasn't as bad as advertised. Persitant-ish drizzle at the start, petering out as we headed south. I'm pretty sure it had stopped by the time we got to the Lavender farm. It was certainly dry after The Edifice as I remember I'd put my waterproof away. There was a lot of standing water though including some GBFO puddles. A slow ride though, Turners Hill at 0630 FFS, breakfast at 0930.
Oooooof. That's slow.
Rust never sleeps

robgul

« Reply #14107 on: 13 October, 2019, 08:04:16 pm »

Fun or chore?

No way is it any sort of chore - I'll have almost twice the space for fun  :)

Rob

« Reply #14108 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:35:12 pm »
Finally got around to fitting the replacement jaws for my old workmate (old type with cast frame). they'd languished for about a year because I failed dismally to remove the screws out of the old jaws. Once I'd had the genius (FCVO, clearly) realisation that the old jaws could be removed destructively, saw, mallet and chisel were applied appropriately to great effect, new items fitted simply. Very happy with the end result, and kudos to Merlin Joinery for a superbly made item. Very hard getting used to a bench with pristine jaws, thobut.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14109 on: 14 October, 2019, 08:48:45 am »
My Workmate is Mr. Chapman's original model from before B&D bought them out. The jaws are solid balks of birch around 2" thick.  I once tried removing the screws with a socket wrench - no go.  I rarely use it, though, so new jaws aren't a priority.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14110 on: 14 October, 2019, 12:30:41 pm »
s/Chapman/Hickman.  Colin Chapman would never have built something that solid or long-lived ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14111 on: 14 October, 2019, 08:43:04 pm »
I've been replacing the pushfit shite in the downstairs toilet.  Did the difficult bit this pm (cold, which feeds a basin tap and the toilet).  Just the hot to do tomorrow.  One piece of carefully bent pipe.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #14112 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:25:40 pm »

Fun or chore?

Rob

Stud/plasterboard wall removed - painted part of the garage walls and positoned freezer and filing cabinet in their alcove (AND found a power point for the freezer behind some stuff that's been stacked against the wall for about 15 years!) . . . next workday for this is Wednesday when the bike hangers should be fixed to the wall.  There will be pix in due course.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14113 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:14:55 am »
s/Chapman/Hickman.  Colin Chapman would never have built something that solid or long-lived ;D

Right enough. He was working for Chapman at the time, sez Wiki; good thing Chapman didn't have dibs on his inventions.

---o0o---

Meanwhile I have been building the frames for my wall panelling, considerably slowed by the fact that it feels like work. This morning I've been chiselling out the corners of routed rebates to take oak ply but knocked off because MrsT made me a cuppa. Am also sick of all the music I have in the workshop & can't find the cassettes for HHGTTG. Did come up with Auntie's 1950s Journey Into Space but it hasn't got the same Marvin coefficient.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14114 on: 15 October, 2019, 05:05:51 pm »
Tidied the shed, 5 1/2 years after I meant to do it.  Found some unused SPD cleats!

All the tools are now organised, all the screws and wallplugs are in their own box and there was no queue at the tip.  Autumn, eh?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14115 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:07:22 pm »
Quote from: T42
... can't find the cassettes for HHGTTG. ... it hasn't got the same Marvin coefficient.
Haven't notice this elsewhere in the parish notices, but I haven't got looking for it; obituary for Stephen Moore, many of the voices in HHGTTG but, most importantly, that of our favourite paranoid android was in the Grauniad a day or two ago.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #14116 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:10:51 pm »
Quote from: T42
... can't find the cassettes for HHGTTG. ... it hasn't got the same Marvin coefficient.
Haven't notice this elsewhere in the parish notices, but I haven't got looking for it; obituary for Stephen Moore, many of the voices in HHGTTG but, most importantly, that of our favourite paranoid android was in the Grauniad a day or two ago.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=113800.0

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14117 on: 16 October, 2019, 07:30:25 am »
Replaced a dodgy battery tail light on my Brompton. Tweaked a brake lever on my fixed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14118 on: 16 October, 2019, 07:50:51 am »
Impressed, as its only 7.30

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14119 on: 16 October, 2019, 09:07:17 am »
Stuck a broken thumbnail with CA glue.  MrsT: "you'll just have to suck the other one". Grrrr.

« Reply #14120 on: 16 October, 2019, 09:36:03 am »
I am working late this evening so took the morning off.

Having changed to a single speed from fixed on my genesis and fitted a new chain, I remembered to tighten up the wheel this morning! then I did some more dismantling on my 1975 Gitane TdF.  I cut through 3 brake cable clamp screws and managed to remove the clamps and they look salvageable.  Then I removed the cranks and the derailleur cable guide at the bottom of the downtube.  The I removed the seat post clamp bolt and drifted out the steerer tube top cup.

Then I ordered a tool to remove the ni=on-drive side bearing and read Sheldon brown on how to remove the drive side cup.  I may even have the parts in the garage already.

Finally i bought an ultrasonic cleaner and searched for local companies to do some rechroming.

Almost ready for a trip to Mercian to discuss paint jobs!!

And all by 09:30!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14121 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:08:10 pm »
I installed some racking to assist the impossible task of tidying the garage.

robgul

« Reply #14122 on: 16 October, 2019, 05:41:08 pm »

Fun or chore?

Rob

Stud/plasterboard wall removed - painted part of the garage walls and positoned freezer and filing cabinet in their alcove (AND found a power point for the freezer behind some stuff that's been stacked against the wall for about 15 years!) . . . next workday for this is Wednesday when the bike hangers should be fixed to the wall.  There will be pix in due course.

Rob

Two trips to the tip today (one with plasterboard that is supposedly only allowed on very small quantity basis - got away with it :thumbsup: ) - and the most important task of all accomplished . . . . bike hangers are mounted on the wall and 4 bikes hanging up. 

More rubblish loaded in the car ready to go in the big bin/dumpster I have at the shop. All the measuring up has been done to rearrange the woodworking bench and machinery tomorrow and try and get the place ship-shape by the end of Saturday.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14123 on: 17 October, 2019, 08:39:43 am »
On my Sunday ride I followed a trail of broken plasterboard for a couple of km before passing a van with an open rear door and a great heap of the stuff inside.

I'm currently fighting shy of producing a couple of dozen metres of beading. Not fun.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14124 on: 17 October, 2019, 06:49:46 pm »
Swapped the bars, stem and brake levers on the Holdsworth for non-aero levers and some old 26.4mm Italian kit.

Then butchered the LH aero lever for fixie non-use.