Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 02:13:00 pm »
It actually made me think of one of my own favourite (much shorter) rides, which includes a short but steep hill just outside Gloucester. Heading back south, you crest the hill and get your first view of the city, which is dead flat (as well as obviously much, much smaller than London) and I'm still struck how, in 2024, the tallest building is still the cathedral.
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by John Stonebridge on Today at 02:02:01 pm »
Cycled into work today so decided that conditions were good enough for a lunchtime loop of 20km.  Kept the pace as crisp as possible, 44mins all in.  Back at my desk in just over an hour all told.  Lovely day, though the breeze seemed to be coming from all directions at once. 
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by De Sisti on Today at 01:59:55 pm »
Rear cage extender for my long-cage Campagnolo Chorus derailleur. The shifts to the 30 & 34
sprockets are even smoother now. I'll be doing the same with my other two bikes once I've
fitted new chainrings, cassette and chains to them for their spring overhaul.
Rides and Touring / Re: York Rally 21-23 June 2024
« Last post by mr ben on Today at 01:51:03 pm »
Geograph's picture of the day on farcebook was from the rally in 1962: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4308733
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by LittleWheelsandBig on Today at 01:35:08 pm »
On the weekend, I knocked over most of the necessary work on my friend's Omega. The replacement rear wheel was properly dished and fitted with the garage stock chain and cassette and existing Marathon Plus. The rear derailleur was properly adjusted and the front derailleur was bodged. The chain has been rubbing on the cage in the middle ring and there is not much metal left, so it will need to be replaced soon. The rear brake pads were replaced from used garage stock but all the pads/ holders need to be replaced as the pad retention screws are corroded in place. A garage stock used front mudguard was fitted. The Brooks saddle tension nut a little tightened, which was much more trouble than you'd expect. Zip-tied the dynamo cable and adjusted both brakes’ worn pivots.

I still need to clean out the non-return valve on another friend's track pump after replacing the damaged chuck from garage stock.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by arabella on Today at 01:31:47 pm »
On the subject of handlebars, I can say that I have done up to 600km with straight bars, albeit the allrounder type rather than completely flat which it looks like you have.  And along the way I put a bit of bar tape further in along the bar to get my hands closer together as a change and even rest my elbows on the actual handlebar grips (note particularly comfy but a change of position).  I did a number of years of touring on actual flat bars doing around 100km/day before I even got to audax.
TLDR: dont worry about the handlebars yet either. 

The 25km to a pub sounds like your best place to start, depending on how far you do generally go.
Get some nice padded gloves if you don't already have any.
Health & Fitness / Re: Zoe
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 01:27:19 pm »
I did Zoe when it first came out and I still follow a Zoe-ish diet (lower carb, higher fibre, higher protein, good fats).

I found eating out OK, as long as I chose wisely.   Steak with lots of salad (and a really nice salad dressing) or fish with vegetables for example.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by JefO on Today at 01:15:15 pm »
Sweet Sixteen - Billy Idol
Gallery / Re: A bridge I cycled over...
« Last post by Little Jim on Today at 01:09:49 pm »
So I thought the Curly-Wurly bridge over the M4 on NCN45 between Chiseldon & Swindon,  deserved a bit of a mention for starters.   Not exactly elegant, but kind of fun, with the two turn spiral on the North side.  Been over it a few times, but know nothing about how old it is, and whether there are any other examples.  Anyone?

There is another one of those curly bridges on the M4 just west of Junction 12 at Reading.  We also rode down one in Vienna last year that had possibly 3 turns in it!  Would have been even better (faster!) if it did not have pedestrians on it as well.
Rides and Touring / Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Last post by psyclist on Today at 12:58:52 pm »
Spiritual Home this week!

Yay ... I'm working at home on Thursday. Will be aiming to be at the Compasses for 8pm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10