Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 42777 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #25 on: 26 August, 2017, 01:08:42 pm »
Think positive and everything will be beautiful  ;D
Even Goole?
Nowt up wi Goole. Moved there when I was a kid and it was paradise compared to where I'd come from.

Bloody hell, you must have had an awful childhood.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #26 on: 26 August, 2017, 06:06:54 pm »
Not this year, I'm afraid. My son is taking his Kent secondary school entrance exams on the Saturday ...and I think I know where my priorities have to lie.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #27 on: 26 August, 2017, 11:10:58 pm »
Planning to be in. Haven't quite mentioned it to family yet. Most certainly not on fixed. Single, maybe due to not having funds to buy a new light and my dyno light is on my fixed, so I may have to change it to a single for the event. Or just ride those few hours on a piss poor battery light - it's not like there is anything to avoid up there...

« Reply #28 on: 27 August, 2017, 01:12:49 am »
Even Goole?
Nowt up wi Goole. Moved there when I was a kid and it was paradise compared to where I'd come from. Going down there this afternoon to spend a few days riding fixed and drinking beer with friendly folk.
Fair call. Only SEEING the Services McDonald's, in the dark and after 15 hours on the bike probably makes my comment unfair!

Carlos...looking forward to it now. Will this get you over the 100 line or are you going to just miss it to say you were never chasing it?  ;D Phenomenal season whatever way you play it!

« Reply #29 on: 27 August, 2017, 01:17:46 am »
My son is taking his Kent secondary school entrance exams on the Saturday ...and I think I know where my priorities have to lie.

So, shall we ride up to the start or get the train together?

For the avoidance of doubt, I can't make that weekend either. But we all know what Rob really wants to do.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: 27 August, 2017, 06:48:53 pm »
My son is taking his Kent secondary school entrance exams on the Saturday ...and I think I know where my priorities have to lie.

So, shall we ride up to the start or get the train together?

For the avoidance of doubt, I can't make that weekend either. But we all know what Rob really wants to do.

Hmm. It's a no-brainer, really. I'll listen out for you throwing pebbles against the window at about 2am. 

(presumably you won't mind if I stay at your place for a few months while the divorce comes through?)

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #31 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:54:27 pm »
Admittedly I walked Canwick Hill out of Lincoln. My Flatlands strategy is always no sleep so in a way I actually enjoyed a few minutes of walking.

I'm going with a bigger gear (78") this year just because I feel ready for it.
I'm in, and will be riding fixed wheel on my usual 70".  :thumbsup:

Not sure about sleep strategy this year, but I'm intrigued by this no-sleep approach Tippers. I'm currently thinking not to try to bivvy but just to nap and save the weight. I haven't done a genuine no-sleep 600 before, but my 'audax hotel' sleep last time was so poor on reflection I think I would have been better off without it.

Having done the ride once and feeling a bit of a state on the second day, I'm interested to know good strategies from those with more experience. My thinking is to knock out most of the first 400 with reasonable stops but minimizing faff at controls, prepare for dark night of the soul around Lincoln, catnap in Sleaford.

Nim

« Reply #32 on: 27 August, 2017, 11:54:36 pm »
Not sure strategy is actually the right word but I like to get back before it is dark on Sunday. A power nap at Sleaford McDonald's work well and then a quick lie down in the sun (hopefully) to get you through has worked for me thus far.

« Reply #33 on: 29 August, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
^ Sounds good!  :)

I've found I'm pretty consistent at 600s if a proper sleep stop is available or not, finishing about 36-37 hours. On the Flatlands that would be before sunset at 19.30.

Nim

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #34 on: 29 August, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »
I'm also in, likely on single speed - I'm planning a similar "moan all the way round" strategy to Carlos  :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:22:29 pm »
I'm in again, if only to claim the Essex SR without using LEL. Might ECE it to 800 again, to keep my carbon footprint at zero (apart from a couple of lifts home with Big Saxon), and to force a sleep stop somewhere southbound. If only there was an 800 medal!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:35:38 pm »
I'm also in, likely on single speed - I'm planning a similar "moan all the way round" strategy to Carlos  :thumbsup:
Interesting. I read that swearing can increase power output, not sure about moaning.

Also probably only a valid approach to short steep hills, not all the way round.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2017, 10:14:43 pm »
I'm also doing this one.  After failing miserably on the Pendle I need a 600 for my SR and this is the only calendar 600 I can fit into my schedule.   

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #38 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:30:08 pm »
Interesting. I read that swearing can increase power output, not sure about moaning.

Also probably only a valid approach to short steep hills, not all the way round.

For me it's like self flaggelation, something to provide some adrenaline for the long, boring, tedious, brainwashing fens.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #39 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:33:52 pm »

Excellent, will be good to see you brother sufferer.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #40 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:39:44 pm »
Even Goole?

Carlos...looking forward to it now. Will this get you over the 100 line or are you going to just miss it to say you were never chasing it?  ;D Phenomenal season whatever way you play it!

Glad you're in, looking forward to keeping up with your epic diesel pace across the fens. If I finish this I'll be there or thereabouts.

« Reply #41 on: 30 August, 2017, 06:57:42 am »
I'm glad Carlos has found some insufferable companions for the ride. Felt like he was headhunting me during a ride on Monday, but I knew the profile would not be for me.

With all the moaning being talked about, I have images of a mobile rendition of the wailing wall traversing the countryside in a cacophony of pain and anguish.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:43:05 am »
I look forward to happy memories of LEL flooding back, but please, no inappropriate hedge stops  :facepalm:

And having been quite unexpectedly 'dry' on The Big One, a pint in Boston 'spoons with a late lunch?

« Reply #43 on: 30 August, 2017, 11:22:08 am »
I look forward to happy memories of LEL flooding back, but please, no inappropriate hedge stops  :facepalm:

And having been quite unexpectedly 'dry' on The Big One, a pint in Boston 'spoons with a late lunch?
I only realised that the other day when someone asked how many pubs I visited on the way around...oddly they did not believe me when I said Zero, I actually had to convince myself as well.

I can see my pre planned attack on the Flatlands falling by the wayside already, I might just pack the chain whip and the 18t cog....just in case you know... ;D

Bairn Again

« Reply #44 on: 30 August, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »
I will be on holiday in Crete, otherwise I might have been able to do this. 

Hope y'all have a nice time.  Its my kind of 600.

« Reply #45 on: 30 August, 2017, 02:18:23 pm »
I will be on holiday in Crete, otherwise I might have been able to do this. 

Hope y'all have a nice time.  Its my kind of 600.
We can Swap if you like, Crete is my kind of holiday place!  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #46 on: 30 August, 2017, 05:26:03 pm »
I'm down for this.  Got a new larger rack pack to fit to the recumbent. Got my eye on a bus shelter above Lincoln having spied those on a DIY last September.  Currently on hols, so will get my stuff sorted once I'm back.

LEL organisational duties have left me as fit as a broken fiddle. So expect I'll be bringing up the rear on this ride

« Reply #47 on: 30 August, 2017, 10:02:04 pm »
I'm down for this.  Got a new larger rack pack to fit to the recumbent. Got my eye on a bus shelter above Lincoln having spied those on a DIY last September. 

Those one's up on the ridge are not very good if the wind is up and prevailing SW - the wind goes right in them. I would choose a village before the hill, on wait until after Lincoln - Wilky boys GPS has the later ones marked. Great that you will be getting out for a ride!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #48 on: 30 August, 2017, 10:18:36 pm »
I'm down for this.  Got a new larger rack pack to fit to the recumbent. Got my eye on a bus shelter above Lincoln having spied those on a DIY last September. 

Those one's up on the ridge are not very good if the wind is up and prevailing SW - the wind goes right in them. I would choose a village before the hill, on wait until after Lincoln - Wilky boys GPS has the later ones marked. Great that you will be getting out for a ride!

After being awakened by the boys in blue last year I`ve got my eye on a secluded church/graveyard for a short nap.

I hadn`t realised you actually had to get off the bike to sleep Phil, don`t you just lean against a wall, lie back and nod off?

« Reply #49 on: 30 August, 2017, 10:29:33 pm »
Well....

I've done this once on my own as a Perm and vowed never to do it again.

But then I thought...maybe I'll dare to be a little audacious.. so I'm in.

New aerobike or trusty LEL steed is the only question?

On the perm I left at midnight from Dunmow and slept in some bushes behind a village hall in Kexby just before Lincoln.