Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 43034 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #150 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:48:29 am »
What appalling news. Best wishes to the injured riders for a full and speedy recovery. And to Tomsk - this must be pretty upsetting for an organiser.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #151 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:22:59 am »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all those involved.

I'm not in a position to comment about the incident itself, of course, and am expecting to be contacted by the police at some point. We can at least be thankful that the emergency and medical services all swung into action efficiently.

By the way, the policeman who diverted us away from the incident on the B1188 was very helpful, and gave us accurate details for the turn off the A15 at Bracebridge Heath onto the Scopwick road to get back on track.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #152 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:15:39 am »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all those involved.

I'm not in a position to comment about the incident itself, of course, and am expecting to be contacted by the police at some point. We can at least be thankful that the emergency and medical services all swung into action efficiently.

By the way, the policeman who diverted us away from the incident on the B1188 was very helpful, and gave us accurate details for the turn off the A15 at Bracebridge Heath onto the Scopwick road to get back on track.

Nice one Tomsk.

What appalling news. Best wishes to the injured riders for a full and speedy recovery. And to Tomsk - this must be pretty upsetting for an organiser.

Well said that man.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #153 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:17:49 am »
Below is a link to Lincolnshire Police's update this morning

https://www.lincs.police.uk/news-campaigns/news/2017/cyclists-seriously-injured-a15-ashby-de-la-launde/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #154 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:32:23 am »
Below is a link to Lincolnshire Police's update this morning

https://www.lincs.police.uk/news-campaigns/news/2017/cyclists-seriously-injured-a15-ashby-de-la-launde/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh crap! I hope they make a full recovery, and all involved get through this sad chapter.

I was already thinking of using the A15 whilst struggling up the hill out of Lincoln, and seeing the sign made my mind up (didn't spot a copper). I found the A15 traffic fine (used my Etrex to guide me through the new looking housing estate to cut off a bit). Saw the A15 closed ahead, hoped it wasn't cycling related, and followed the traffic left. Saw the traffic use the right turn in the wilderness, although it looked like you could continue on the same road. Followed the traffic speeding over the bumps onto what quickly became Strade Bianchi or whatever, and found the drivers too eager to get to work or a car boot sale. I was nearly knocked off a few times.

The wind made it one of my hardest Flatlands and, if the not so Big Saxon had been at the Angel with his car, I'd have sold my soul for a lift home!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #155 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:11:32 am »
Yikes .... this so sad and I hope that they recover  :-[

that's what frightens me about doing long Audax rides ... I really want to (and will) do long rides such as LEL an PBP but I'm frightened to ride on unknown  dark busy roads .... My wife is also nervous as we watched Indipak live from the start

I will have to do some of these longer nightime Audax rides to qualify for the longer Audax rides, and I will seriously think about using really good rear lights such as Dinotte and hi-viz such as the Proviz jacket. I have Garmin Varia Radar and it's very handy but it wont help if you are rear ended

even with Proviz, an unattentive or drunk/goofed up driver will be a hazard

Don't let this put you off audax.
 It is entirely random IMHO and could happen to any cyclist on any road.
I used the A19, A63 and A18 during the night on LEL . The relatively light traffic was quite considerate, even the heavy stuff on it's way to Hull docks.
 My wife insists on me being with others whenever possible on overnight rides but safety in numbers appears to have made no difference on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Like many on here ,it's a case of that could have been me.
I hope all involved make a good recovery .

« Reply #156 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:34:28 am »
My thoughts go to the victims and their families. Let us hope that all do not suffer life changing injuries and that they make a full recovery.

We should also support the organiser of the event who will probably be troubled and upset by the incident.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #157 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:34:20 am »
Police update

The driver, who was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and failing to stop, has been released under investigation. Two of the cyclists remain in Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, in a serious condition. They are both men in their 50s from Essex and Hertfordshire.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #158 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
As I said above, it could very easily have been me there, as I wasn't far behind them when mechanical issues forced me to stop at Lincoln. At the moment I feel nervous about the thought of doing any more overnight rides. I know Lincolnshire is particularly bad for road safety, but if a driver can plough into four highly visible cyclists you have to wonder if it is worth it.

All I can do is to hope that everyone concerned has a speedy recovery.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #159 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:53:44 am »
Last night we held a quiet prayer evening at church, it had been planned for some time. The church community know how much I enjoy cycling and have been really supportive of my requests to host audax events - so when I shared what we know so far of what has happened, they were as upset as we all are. We held a quiet vigil of prayer for all concerned; for the riders, the witnesses, for Tomsk and for the families of the riders. I know this isn't of any practical help to anyone, but as your local accessible priest - I just bring my prayerful empathy. While we wait for the families to be told what has happened, and while we wait to find out which of our friends have been hurt... and just how bad it has been... all I can do is keep them in my prayers.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #160 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:12:31 pm »
Last night we held a quiet prayer evening at church, it had been planned for some time. The church community know how much I enjoy cycling and have been really supportive of my requests to host audax events - so when I shared what we know so far of what has happened, they were as upset as we all are. We held a quiet vigil of prayer for all concerned; for the riders, the witnesses, for Tomsk and for the families of the riders. I know this isn't of any practical help to anyone, but as your local accessible priest - I just bring my prayerful empathy. While we wait for the families to be told what has happened, and while we wait to find out which of our friends have been hurt... and just how bad it has been... all I can do is keep them in my prayers.

I'm not religious at all, but this has just brought tears to my eyes.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #161 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »

« Reply #162 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:35:45 pm »

Thank you.

« Reply #163 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:38:49 pm »
such terrible news, my thoughts go out to the cyclists involved, wishing them a speedy recovery.
I DNFd the Flatlands in 2014, and I know that my wife Rachael is always just a little anxious about this sort of situation when I do any of the longer Audaxes involving cycling though the night.

« Reply #164 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:27:48 pm »
such terrible news, my thoughts go out to the cyclists involved, wishing them a speedy recovery.
I DNFd the Flatlands in 2014, and I know that my wife Rachael is always just a little anxious about this sort of situation when I do any of the longer Audaxes involving cycling though the night.

I posted this on the Facebooks in regard to a similar comment:

"You have to look at these things rationally. Cycling at night is actually safer.
You can't let one terrible incident deprive you of this wonderful experience."

John

Phil W

« Reply #165 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:14:19 pm »
I understand that Phil W is not one of the hospitalised riders. It might be better to wait until their names have been published.

I can confirm that I wasn't one of the cyclists involved.

I'd diverted east along the water railway (tarmac and flat) to the pedestrian / cycle bridge across the Witham at Washingborough. I then took Church Hill which has half the climbing of Canwick Hill and has nice easy recumbent friendly grades.  Continuing straight on brings you to Branston and onwards.  A few km longer but not much in it time wise for me. 

« Reply #166 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:04:28 pm »
I understand that Phil W is not one of the hospitalised riders. It might be better to wait until their names have been published.

If you had been one of them, then you must have sneaked passed me after Goole!

Martin

« Reply #167 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:05:50 pm »
Such a terrible set of circumstances; but there was nothing that could have been done at the time to prevent riders going down the A15 given the police need to close the road.

Looking at the section I've ridden down that very bit of road on a DIY 600 at about the same time and there was nothing untoward about it at the time

best wishes and speedy recovery to those injured

Phil W

« Reply #168 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »

Not likely, I was doing very short control stops but riding steady. So the only place I sneaked passed anyone was at control points.  I did have a few flatter alternatives I took. For instance I bypassed the climb onto the ridge  and found an alternate shorter and flatter route into Lincoln then picking up the Water Railway to make my exit. 

Yes I made the Flatlands even flatter.  The evil habits of a novice recumbent rider.

« Reply #169 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
I hope all involved in the incident on the A15 aren't too badly injured and fully recover in a short period.  It's never good to be in hospital, especially for people who like to be active and on the move.   I also hope they and cycling in general aren't 'victim shamed' by the media with comments like "well they shouldn't have been riding at night", "why are organised cycling events allowed on public roads", etc.   

Matt

hillbilly

« Reply #170 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »
As always in such situations, rare thought they are, this is terrible news.  I hope those struck by the car recover fully, quickly.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #171 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »
I hope all involved in the incident on the A15 aren't too badly injured and fully recover in a short period.  It's never good to be in hospital, especially for people who like to be active and on the move.   I also hope they and cycling in general aren't 'victim shamed' by the media with comments like "well they shouldn't have been riding at night", "why are organised cycling events allowed on public roads", etc.   

Matt

Hope all involved make a recovery.

On the media side, the BBC article has linked back to the AUK calendar event page.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #172 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:22:08 pm »

Not likely, I was doing very short control stops but riding steady. So the only place I sneaked passed anyone was at control points.  I did have a few flatter alternatives I took. For instance I bypassed the climb onto the ridge  and found an alternate shorter and flatter route into Lincoln then picking up the Water Railway to make my exit. 

Yes I made the Flatlands even flatter.  The evil habits of a novice recumbent rider.
You arrived at Boston 'spoons aftrr me. I had soup and beer, not feeling like the veggie burger/chip/beer deal. I noticed you tucking in though!

« Reply #173 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:26:39 pm »
As I enjoy reading other people's summaries of events.. here's mine.

This was my 5th randonnee and second attempt at a 600 (The first was the Pendle which broke me!). 

I found this event the most interesting from a mental perspective with a full range of emotions during the event - Bliss on the way to the first control in the transition from dawn to blue skys.  Excitement during the Saturday afternoon when my average speed indicated I should be in for a good early finish.  Comfort when chatting to others at controls knowing I'm not in this by myself.  Frustration after Goole as my legs stopped producing any power.  Anxiety at Gainsborough wondering if I'd be able to finish given I'd slowed down so much.  Misery riding in the shivering mist south of Lincoln and seeming to go nowhere.  Loneliness for most of Sunday only catching brief glimpses of other riders all day.  Anger at the headwinds from Spalding to Arrivee... particularly around Chatteris and after Cambridge! (I was exploring the full vocabulary of swear words shouted out loud at the wind and geography of the area that allowed such winds to occur!).  Satisfaction at finishing with time to spare.

I was a bit rushed at the start of the event as I'd arrived late due to motorway closures near home.  I arrived to the start the moment everyone was departing.  After getting myself sorted I ended up setting off 15mins later.  No issue in the scheme of things.

Prior to the event I'd changed the saddle on the bike as the other one just wasn't working.  I'd bought a cheap (£15) Selle Italia to explore different shapes and this one was a big improvement... not quite there as a little too much pressure on my bloke bits (I don't think I qualify to call them the 'Gentleman area').   I'll try another to see if I can improve comfort further.   Other changes were a shorter stem and position changes on the 'tridax' bars (tri bars but raised up much higher and with a fabricated route sheet holder).  This was a great improvement, previously I would only be on the bars for a short period to rest the hands however I could stay on the bars for ages at a time which helped a lot with upper back and shoulder comfort. 

No mechanicals on the event.  Luckily, I'd cleaned the bike the day before and noticed a cracked chain link which I swapped out.  By the end the chain sounded a bit grindy due to the lube being washed off but not too bad.

Kit wise I'd prepared fairly well with more layering than previously and was pretty happy except I need some waterproof shoe booties as I had wet feet for most of the event after Sat arvo rain.  I'll definitely have them for next time.  I did pack spare socks so that was great.   I also should have worn tights as I never took off the knee warmers.   

This was my first time sleeping on an event and my plan was to stop when I felt sleepy and if I didn't feel sleepy then keep on riding.  As it turns out I felt sleepy towards Lincoln and found a nice abandoned stone bus shelter with wooden benches.  It looked like it hadn't been used for years and was overgrown with Ivy and the benches were dusty and various types of natural detritus.   I had my as-yet unused bivvie bag and a foil blanket.  I was so tired I thought I'd get out the foil blanket and use the bivvie as a pillow and was asleep in seconds.  Another rider came in some time later and I thought "I'd best check if he has enough room to lie down... I'll do that in a second...Zzzzzzz"  Whoever it was, apologies if I didn't leave you room and hopefully the foil blanket didn't crackle too much!

I felt I improved my feeding on this event.  Much less sugar and more proper food. Good sandwiches at each stop seemed to work well.  I'm not sure Maccas works for me, it tastes great when hungry but it didn't seem to work as well as other food I'd eaten.  I definitely need to eat more often as there was a few periods where I felt crap but a good feed picked me up.   I did have a nice breakfast in the the tea room at Thorney, just north of Whittlesey, the proprieter was lovely and some of the other customers were 'eclectic'. 

I relieved I've now done a 600, hopefully now I can relax more on events and enjoy the controls knowing I can do the distance in the time.  I'll probably do a couple of shorter distance events for the rest of the year depending on what I can fit into the calendar.

Overall, I really enjoyed the event.  Many thanks to Tom for organising it and congrats to all that took part.

Matt

Phil W

« Reply #174 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:40:19 pm »

You arrived at Boston 'spoons aftrr me. I had soup and beer, not feeling like the veggie burger/chip/beer deal. I noticed you tucking in though!

Yeah that was my one long stop (just under an hour) for a good feed.   I just had grab and go food rest of the way round.