Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 43159 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #200 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:01:34 am »
A curious update from "Lincolnshire Live": http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755

I just dropped Holly, the author of that piece, the following email...

Good letter. I wonder if she'll really read it or just skim it and carry on regardless.

I caught up on this just this morning - before that I saw the event as just another ride I wouldn't be on.  I get very pissed off at the kind of language used by the press: a cyclist ploughed into and knocked through a hedge by a ton and a half of steel driven by a fool is always "in collision with a car", and it's always his own fault if he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Maybe we should have a whip-round and buy Holly a bike BSO.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #201 on: 13 September, 2017, 10:06:01 am »
A curious update from "Lincolnshire Live": http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755

I just dropped Holly, the author of that piece, the following email.

"Hi Holly,

I’m a colleague of yours working as a journalist with xxx. I’m writing to you with regard to your article on LinconshireLive headlined “They shouldn’t have been there” about the crash on the A15 in the early hours of Sunday morning. (http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755)

I was a participant of the ride, and was probably one of the first cyclists rocking up at the police road block.

You may already be familiar with the event the riders took part. I was a long distance bike ride from Great Dunmow in Essex to Goole and back organized under the auspices of Audax UK and Audax Club Paris (ACP). http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-549/   It’s wasn’t a timed race, but an endurance ride with a time limit of 40 hours for 606 kilometers (377 miles). We left Essex at 6am on Saturday, and had to be back by Sunday, 10pm.
Around 100 people had signed up for the ride.

Some people may think doing such long bike rides is a bit odd. But in fact it’s an activity with a very long heritage. At the root is a 1200 km (745 miles) ride that is organized every four years by Audax Club Paris. This event runs from Paris to Brest and back to Paris and was first run in 1891. It is older than the modern Olympic games (1896) and the Tour de France (1903). These days, it is run very four years, and about 6000 people from all over the world are on the start line (my account on the 2015 edition is available here: https://cycling-intelligence.com/2015/11/25/87-very-special-hours-my-pbp-2015/) Every year, Audax UK organizes hundreds of rides like the Flatlands 600 , and has thousands of participants. With the growing popularity of cycling, number are increasing.

The ethos of Audax rides is a bit different than bike races or so called “sportives”. Self-sustainability is at the core. The ride is not sign-posted, and riders cannot expect any help or support from the organizer en route.  There is a suggested route, but every participant is free to take any legal road. The only requirement is to visit the pre-defined control points and collect a proof of passage. The route given by the organizer is merely advisory.

Against this backdrop, I’m a bit puzzled by the claim in the article saying “ they should not have been on the road,” which is referenced to the BBC.  It is true that the A15 was not part of the recommended route, and the police suggested it as an alternative to the B road closed after the fatal accident between a car and a pedestrian. But from the organiser’s point of view, every rider who wanted to take the A15 was free to do so. In fact, the organiser’s route notes explicitly mention the road . (“The A15 might be a viable and shorter route in the middle of the night. “ http://www.aukweb.net/routes/549r.zip , in the file dubbed “INFO”)

I, for instance, had long decided to ride on the A15. Under UK law, it is perfectly legal to ride your bike on this road. (Hence the police suggested it as an alternative.)  While it surely not pleasant to ride on it during day time because of many fast cars, it was absolutely deserted at night. I joined it in Lincoln at around 3:45 am and reached the road block 4:23am. Maybe 3 or 4 vehicles passed me, and as there was no oncoming traffic, they easily could use the middle of the road or the other lane without having to slow down at all. The road is straight, and visibility was good at that time, as it was a clear night with no rain. Moreover, it is common practice among long distance cyclists to have at least two really good rear lights, and many wear reflective vests and have reflective tape attached to mudguards and helmets. Like almost all cyclists, I’m also a motorist, and I can’t really comprehend how it is possible to run a group of four cyclists riding as a group – they must have been lighted like a Christmas tree.

I would like to point out these issues to the BBC colleague making the claim that victims of the crash “should not have been on the road”. The problem with this assertion is not  that it is not true. Between the lines, one could also read it as blaming the victims. I’m sure that’s not the intention of the claim, but the cursory reader may still take one the message that it was the cyclist’s own fault, since they should not have been on the road.

I would really appreciate if you sent me a link to the BBC story your claim is based on. I also would highly appreciate if you considered tweaking the headline and the claim in your article.
Many thanks and best regards
Olaf"

just got this reply

"Hello Olaf. I have forwarded this to my editors and will discuss with them. In no way did we intend to blame the cyclists. We understand they can of course use that road. What we meant was that it was not the planned route to take as they were diverted due to another crash that night."

Hope that won't get her in trouble with her bosses, TBH.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #202 on: 13 September, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
It may just be a clumsy headline, the article can be interpreted in different ways, I took it to mean that due to the earlier road closure the cyclists were off their planned route and so by a twist of fate they were present at the crash. :(

« Reply #203 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:06:50 am »
Maybe we should have a whip-round and buy Holly a bike BSO.

More than likely to have one already  ,but it will be in the garage gathering dust because riding a bike is soo dangerous don'cha know and a Fiat 500 or some other crappy little car is way more cool than a bike.

Do you know any of this for real or is it just a unhelpful ad hominem?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #204 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:08:23 am »
It may just be a clumsy headline, the article can be interpreted in different ways, I took it to mean that due to the earlier road closure the cyclists were off their planned route and so by a twist of fate they were present at the crash. :(

It reminded me of an interview with an angler I once saw, on the topic of swans being killed by discarded fishing gear. "Well they shouldn't be there in the first place, should they?"
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #205 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »

It reminded me of an interview with an angler I once saw, on the topic of swans being killed by discarded fishing gear. "Well they shouldn't be there in the first place, should they?"

You have another interpretation that surmises that the cyclists are to blame for being on the road at that precise time, ie victim blaming.  I, of course, like you don`t agree with that,  but it shows how the article and headline can have many interpretations, I don`t know if that was intentional or not.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #206 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:16:26 pm »
Todays front page of the Sleaford Standard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redfalo

• Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #207 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:23:07 pm »
Tim Deakins?  ::-)

Apart form that, a decent article, me thinks. Good to see the terrible incident gets proper media attention.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #208 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:25:58 pm »
To be fair, i and o are keyboard neighbours...

I shouldn't wine

Hellymedoc

« Reply #209 on: 13 September, 2017, 03:15:44 pm »
What we meant was that it was not the planned route to take as they were diverted due to another crash that night."

Well, that's not what my interpretation was, I took the comments as, why on earth is anyone riding their bike at that time of night.  This is either, quick thinking on their part to come up with an alternative view, or careless phraseology from the journalist in the first place.

For my part, I always wonder what all these cars are doing out at that time of night, and whether they're up to no good.  Lorries, I can understand.  Making deliveries at night is far more efficient on driving time, and I trust to the abilities of professional truck drivers who, on the whole, allow me plenty of space.  I help them in turn by making myself visible.

There's another lesson I think can be taken from this sad experience.  We're on a private excursion, and a road closure can be imposed with no prior warning.  If the police say you can't get through because it's a crime scene, then that has to be dealt with.  A map should be an automatic item for the saddle bag.  I've come across instances where police have closed the road, and if it's a major incident, the one barring the way is likely to be more of a stranger to those parts than me, so it's very much up to me to decide how to proceed.

Incidents like this strike home.  We can all think, that could be me.  As MemSec, I take a dim view of anyone getting at "my" riders.  Best wishes to the riders and their families.

« Reply #210 on: 13 September, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »
My first impression is: "Hats off to the Sleaford Standard" - the article headline and standfirst seem well-balanced and factual.

However, I'd like to read the whole article and I can't find it on their web site. Any chance of a better scan, Mr Geezer?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #211 on: 13 September, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »
My first impression is: "Hats off to the Sleaford Standard" - the article headline and standfirst seem well-balanced and factual.

However, I'd like to read the whole article and I can't find it on their web site. Any chance of a better scan, Mr Geezer?

Thanks to Liamfitz

http://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/news/transport/four-cyclists-injured-and-driver-arrested-during-endurance-event-1-8146797

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #212 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:59:59 pm »
Thanks to Liamfitz

http://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/news/transport/four-cyclists-injured-and-driver-arrested-during-endurance-event-1-8146797

Thank you indeed Liamfitz.

And, as for the Sleaford Standard; Hats off! A very accurate article. There's hope for journalism yet.

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #213 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:51:57 pm »

And, as for the Sleaford Standard; Hats off! A very accurate article. There's hope for journalism yet.

Hear, hear. Best local news article I've read in a longtime. It's just a shame about the subject matter.

John

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #214 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:03:45 pm »
Indeed.

The cyclists event had a Risk Assessment.

Let's have Risk Assessments for driving activities too.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #215 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:45:54 am »

Thanks to Liamfitz

I think the thanks are referring to my posting this on FB.

Chapeau to the AUK people and Tom who were trying to make sure that the media had facts - I'm certain a lot of work went into this.

« Reply #216 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:25:56 am »
Oh Yeah, I meant to say...probably the Highlight of my ride was as I was riding into Coningsby I had a Lancaster Bomber pass directly over my head at very low altitude obviously on approach. That was AWESOME!

rob

« Reply #217 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:17:57 am »
Oh Yeah, I meant to say...probably the Highlight of my ride was as I was riding into Coningsby I had a Lancaster Bomber pass directly over my head at very low altitude obviously on approach. That was AWESOME!

It was also the Scampton airshow on Saturday afternoon.   I saw quite a few planes looping round in the distance as I rode from Bardney to Kirton Lindsey.    If you ride round there often enough you'll get a fly by from the Red Arrows.

redfalo

• Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #218 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:20:23 am »

I saw this too, and found it amazing. Plus its reassuring to see the RAF is on its toes. You just can't trust those Germans, and who knows what will happen after Brexit.

redfalo

• Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #219 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:28:40 pm »
Got a very friendly and apologetic email from the Echo's Head of Content today. Turns out he loves cycling himself. They tweaked the article . Headline now says "Cyclists injured in serious crash were diverted there from another road"
http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755
Turns out this "assume good intentions" thing really works.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #220 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:45:22 pm »
Got a very friendly and apologetic email from the Echo's Head of Content today. Turns out he loves cycling himself. They tweaked the article . Headline now says "Cyclists injured in serious crash were diverted there from another road"
http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755

Top job redfalo  :thumbsup:

« Reply #221 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:47:55 pm »

That's a very pleasing outcome, and it reads much better now. Well done Olaf for taking the initiative.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #222 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:52:54 pm »
It was also the Scampton airshow on Saturday afternoon.   I saw quite a few planes looping round in the distance as I rode from Bardney to Kirton Lindsey.    If you ride round there often enough you'll get a fly by from the Red Arrows.

ISTR that those of us who rode the Flatlands at full value pace in 2015 got to see them practising on the way north and performing, at Duxford, on the way south  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #223 on: 14 September, 2017, 03:23:42 pm »

ISTR that those of us who rode the Flatlands at full value pace in 2015 got to see them practising on the way north and performing, at Duxford, on the way south  :thumbsup:

I saw them when I did the Great Eastern, near RAF Waddington in July 1995.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #224 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:00:32 pm »

That rings a bell from last year's event.  Tomsk must lay this on specially.

We walked through the closed roads in Whittlesey rather than riding round them, enjoying the rest and classic cars on display.  As we got through the closed section, just afer we'd started riding again, there was a spectacular flypast by a Lancaster Bomber. 
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike