Linked Events

• YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne: 11 September, 2020 - 13 September, 2020

Author Topic: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 11-13 September 2020  (Read 7372 times)

Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 11-13 September 2020
« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2020, 08:03:41 pm »
I've been checking out a few campsites I've used before in Cheshire & Shropshire.  The smaller ones are closed or only accepting self contained campers, in vans.    Larger ones are open,  but  I don't really fancy them.   

Wern Isaf in Llangollen is open,   but that's probably too far _on_ the beaten track.      I've hardly been out of the flat this year   :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:03:44 pm »
I'm keen but wary.

On the assumption this doesn't go ahead – or even if it does – this might be a good idea for an Easter or post-Easter meet. I think most things will be clearer once we're through the winter.

That'll be after Brexshit though.  The camping field will have been ploughed up for turnips to feed a starving populace, and Kevin/Trevor will have gone into the pot..

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:16:40 pm »
I think it is highly unlikely that I will be there. I haven't been anywhere for ages.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:27:24 pm »
We should organise a virtual camping weekend.  I can light a fire on my balcony, sit in my wobbly Helinox chair & talk bollocks to you all via Zoom or something.     

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2020, 07:41:24 am »
From a couple of local people in Wellesbourne (I live nearby at Stratford-upon-Avon) I've heard that Michael Twite's claims on "compliance" on the website may fall short of reality . . . .  that said there are some signs at the end of the lane, near the airfield cafe, pointing to the site and saying "open"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 28 August, 2020, 09:40:50 am »
We should organise a virtual camping weekend.  I can light a fire on my balcony, sit in my wobbly Helinox chair & talk bollocks to you all via Zoom or something.     
I think Wowbagger's beaten you to it. He's so virtual, he's dematerialised and ceased to occupy physical space.  ;D
I think it is highly unlikely that I will be there. I haven't been anywhere for ages.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:18:17 pm »
Thinking about it in virus terms, I'd have thought that sitting in a field must be lower risk than walking down a busy street and a lot safer than shopping in a busy, air-conditioned supermarket. Showers and toilets might be considered higher risk but again, you're unlikely to be closer than several metres to anyone – I never saw anyone there when I was at Twitey's last year – and the risk from contacting surfaces is, again, lower than in a supermarket (fewer people, easier to keep the surfaces clean, nothing frozen, nothing to be consumed). That just leaves train, if you take one to get there.

« Reply #32 on: 01 September, 2020, 12:04:09 pm »
Am I to conclude then that this is definitely not going ahead?
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #33 on: 01 September, 2020, 04:11:57 pm »

Well, we will be camping at a friend's "field" that weekend.  4g availability is very patchy but we could ruin your evening by zoombombing you.   :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Is there sufficient light at the end of any tunnels that we can contemplate resurrecting this thread for 2021, do you think? I'd really like to put a tent on the back of a bike and bugger off somewhere.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Likewise, I'm missing camping & missing friends.   However just before Christmas I was doing some of that very dangerous "walking around art galleries" & somehow borked my left knee.   It's not got much better & after carrying some shopping home at the weekend I'm still limping.   Riding a bike hasn't been happening.   I've a feeling its going to involve some form of knife work to fix, but am avoiding medical types until I've been stabbed at least once.    :(   Losing some weight would be a sensible idea as well.   

We also have to realise that the younger members of our logical YACF family are probably not going to be offered a vaccine until later in the year (if at all) and may not want to take the risks involved with travelling.  :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm not planning anything for 2021 other than the covid-secure BHPC stuff I'm committed to organising on the basis of being one of the two people who knows how the timing system works.

It's highly likely that by the time we're both fully vaccinated and I'm willing to take that level of risk, the hospital will decide[1] that it's time to hack up barakta's pelvis, leaving her in need of full-time care for a few months.  Which spanners any long-term planning.

[1] She's on the orthopaedic waiting list somewhere below the people who are at imminent risk of DETH and things more serious than not being able to walk.

I have had two phone calls in the last week from cycle-camping friends, one was Graham who some of you met at Twitey's, both are looking forward to doing some camping this year. They like me were disappointed that York Rally was cancelled and that Mildenhall looks like it is finished as a weekend rally.

For me I have now got a clean bill of health regarding my PMR and could now manage with one of my smaller tents. It would save carrying around that heavy tent I had to use when I couldn't get up and down from the floor very easily.

Keep me in mind if you plan anything.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Cudzoziemiec

I'd really like to put a tent on the back of a bike and bugger off somewhere.
Yes.

Is there sufficient light at the end of any tunnels that we can contemplate resurrecting this thread for 2021, do you think?
No.